Destination Newfoundland - July and August 2010 - Jane and Bill Berry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jane,

We had a similar problem and after hours of diagnostics it was discovered our Ignition switch was bad.  We understand the frustration of a rig stopping. They are worth about 2 cents at theat point.

Keep us posted.

Betty

On a Cummins, that almost sounds like a fuel shut-off solenoid issue.  There are a few other things that can shut an engine down like that, especially on the newer electronically controlled engines, but those things seem to be more rare.  Another issue may be the fuel filter or one of the sensors that tell the PCM the condition thereof.  Hope you get everything repaired and get back to your journey.  I'm enjoying hearing about the scenic countryside.

Blessings!

August 9, 2010 - August 12, 2010 Back on the Road Again ? The Avalon Peninsula
While camped out for 3 days at Cummins in Mount Pearl for a diagnosis and fix for our engine problems, we explored Newfoundland?s capital and major port city, St. John?s, on the Avalon Peninsula. On a fairly foggy day, we walked up to the Cabot Tower on Signal Hill, an historic strategic military site high above the entrance to the St. John?s harbor. From there, we drove the Jeep for a long day trip around the southeast Avalon coast, the Irish Loop,  from Bay Bulls and Witless Bay to Holyrood and back to St. John?s. As we were driving through Trepassey, we stopped to admire a huge model square-rigger ship perched on the back of a pickup truck on the roadside. Its owner and builder, Vince Davis, came out to talk to us about this masterpiece that took him about 9 months to make. She?s a beauty and for sale for a mere $6,000.

The news came that our engine needed a new turbo charger related sensor. The new sensor was easily installed and seems to have done the trick. On a very rainy early afternoon, we left Cummins for the Argentia Sunset Park with a FHU with good 30 amp service. The wifi is on again and mostly off again but with some patience serves the purpose. The fog was so thick that we almost missed the moose (cow and calf) about 30 feet from us as we walked around the campground in the evening.

Thursday morning brought clouds and some increasing sunshine?a good day for a Jeep drive to Cape St. Mary?s Ecological Reserve. It is a really worthwhile visit, and we were amazed by the huge cliffside colonies of Gannets, Kittiwakes, and Murres. By following a short marked trail along the top of the cliffs, we were able to take in the sounds and smells while getting a great view of the thousands of birds at their nesting sites.

August 13, 2010 ? August 16, 2010 ? The Bonavista Peninsula
On to Bonavista to the wonderful Paradise Farm Trailer Park on Route 230. We love this park for a number of reasons. The owners, Chris and Colette, are great people, the kind we wish we?d see at every park we stop at. We had a nice site with good 30 amp service and water in a beautiful and quiet setting. A dump station is on the premises, and they have ongoing improvements. Paradise Farm was easy to get to sticking to Route 230, a pretty good road off the TCH. The RV park is in a great location only a short drive to Bonavista, Trinity Bight, and Elliston. We were delighted to see Minke whales each evening off the coast of Cape Bonavista. We hiked the spectacular, not-to-be-missed 5.3k loop Skerwink Trail out of Trinity East, taking in one breathtaking coastal view after another. Lunch at nearby Two Whales was a real treat?delicious homemade breads, soups, and desserts. The 10k out and back/return Klondike Trail, once a mid 1800?s road between Elliston North and Spillers Cove, also had unbeatable coastal views with the added attraction of unlimited wild blueberries and raspberries along the trail. We peaked into one of over 100 root cellars in Elliston, ?The Root Cellar Capital of the World? and had a close-up look at Puffins on their nesting ground island.

August 16, 2010 ? August 21, 2010 - Gander and Twillingate
Our final day on Bonavista Peninsula was another sunny one, so we hiked on the Maberly to Little Catalina coastal trail. We indulged ourselves with crab au gratin and bakeapple cheesecake (a Newfoundland specialty we needed to try) at Skipper?s Restaurant in Bonavista before walking around the nearby harbor to see a replica of John Cabot?s 15th century ship, The Matthew.

We now know every (all 4) qualified Cummins garage on the island of Newfoundland. As we started up the rig to leave Bonavista, our ??Check Engine? light came on (oh, no!) and stayed on. A phone call later, we learned of a Cummins diagnostic computer at a garage in Bloomfield, NL on our way to Gander. This time the problem, we were told by friendly mechanics, would not require our immediate return for repair. The EGR valve (emissions related) needs to be replaced. We were told we could go about our sightseeing and bring the rig in when we reach Corner Brook on our way back to the ferry to Nova Scotia.

Gander, where many international flights were diverted on 9/11, was a brief stop for a visit to the North Atlantic Aviation Museum. The museum is devoted to aircraft displays and local (Newfoundland) aircraft-related newspaper articles, artifacts, clothing, memorabilia, etc. We spent one night at the Country Inn Trailer Park in Gander. It was conveniently located, but rough around the edges?dusty, potholes, sloping sites, wi-fi advertised but not at site, bad 30 amp service. A little after midnight, Bill asked the neighbors to turn down the bass. They nicely complied.

Upon our arrival at Peyton?s Woods RV Park and Campground in Back Harbour, Twillingate, we reserved tickets for the local Crow Head dinner theater, ?All Around the Circle? that night. We were served fabulous soup followed by delicious pan-fried cod (even the peas and carrots tasted good after being fresh vegetable deprived for so long) dessert and coffee. 7 Twillingate Newfoundlanders entertained us with various comical skits and musical pieces. At Peyton?s Woods, we were in the back lot area with 30 amp service and water. It was nice and quiet there. More great weather was celebrated with a long hike along the bluffs, where we were treated to incredible coastal views. Wild blueberries and raspberries were everywhere, so we filled our stomachs and then our hats, deciding to have blueberry-raspberry waffles with VT maple syrup and lots of butter for dinner. Oh, bacon, too. Was that ever good! The next day was somewhat overcast, so we took the Jeep for a spin around all the little roads we could find in the area and saw endless picturesque coves, all of which seemed to have coastal trails to explore on foot?more blueberries! A stop at the Durrell Museum was well worth the modest $2. entrance fee.

We left Twillingate on an overcast Saturday morning. After a stop at Deer Lake to fuel up, we are back in the lot of the old familiar Harvey and Company Cummins garage in Corner Brook to have our new EGR valve installed on Monday morning. We are relieved to have made it here without another breakdown!

Please keep up the log ... we are new to this site and you make us feel like we are with you every step ... we are planning on full time in the next year or so and this gets us more enthuzed(spelling?)
Wayne and Janet

Jane,
Glad you are on the road again.  Your posts are  reminding us of our trip there.  But you do more hiking.  Safe  travels.

Betty

August 22, 2010 ? August 25, 2010 -  Leaving Newfoundland  - Final Journal Entry
Monday morning in Corner Brook we had our new EGR valve installed on our rig. It went quickly and smoothly, and we made our way back to Doyles to the Grand Codroy campground. We have decided to depart Newfoundland one week earlier than planned and are now waiting in line at the Port aux Basques ferry terminal for a predicted on-time departure. It?s a beautiful day, and we have loved our adventure here despite our engine difficulties. Things do have a way of working themselves out for the best!

We have lots of photos. If anyone is interested in seeing them, email me and I?ll send you a link to our travel adventures. We are happy to answer any questions as well. Many thanks to those who have gone out of their way to help us with our planning...could not have done it so smoothly without you.

Jane and Bill,
Thank you for taking us along on your journey.  I will be requesting  photos.  I'm sorry about the engine problems you had but you guys do seem to be able to make lemonaid out of lemons.  That is the  secret to a successful RVer  I think.  I'm glad you enjoyed the place as  much as we did.  That trip remains among my very top destinations!

I'm sad to see it  over for you. ( and us)
Betty

What are your plans once you hit the mainland.  We're in Shediac until a week after Labour Day, but have company off and on over the next week.  Let us know what is happening and maybe we can have a pop or 2.

Ed

Jane and Bill,

Things don't always go as planned, but I'm sure pleased you shared your trip with the rest of us.  Engine problems and all!  It never ceases to amaze me that everyone who goes to Newfoundland - or Alaska for that matter - finds things to do and see that none of the rest of us found.  Don't be surprised if you decide to return in a few years.  We did!

Like Betty, I'll miss traveling along with you.  Have a good trip home!

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom