95 VECTRA 6 WIRE TOW PLUG TO 4 FLAT WIRE?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Firefighter-EMT

NEED HELP!!!  95 vectra has stock 6 wire plug.  I need a 4 wire flat instead.  Tried the convertor plug but didnt work.  Trailer still has NO BRAKE LIGHTS!!!  We cut the wires and tried to wire a plug direct, and same outcome.  Found out the Vectra has a SEPERATE brake ckt, doesnt go thru the turn signals.  Does anyone know how to fix it???  We were leaving on vacation tomorrow but not now :(  Thanks, John

The easiest way is to get a male end of your plug on the rig.  Plug it in and use a tester to identify each light circuit. Wire up to your tow vehicle plug and go.

If your Vectra has separate stop and turn signals, there is a converter you can buy to combine them for a trailer that has combined stop and turn signals (i.e. a 4 pin system). Is that  the adapter you bought?  It is different than an adapter that is for a six pin trailer plug that adds trailer brakes and battery charging.

The adapters I have seen that combine separate brake & turn signals have to be wired in rather than just plugging to the existing connector. Here is a diagram showing its use.

http://www.accessconnect.com/taillight_converter.htm

I 2nd what RV Roamer said, you need a true converter to go from separate tail / brake to combined.

Went to Camping world today.  Had them do it.  They put on a converter and a 6 to 4 wire plug adapter.  NOTHING DIFFERENT than what I did.  They said I did it properly, the converter must have been bad.  Goes to show ya,  New doesnt always mean it good.  Thanks for all the help!!!.  J

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom