Something everyone should know about Coach Net

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slovewell

I have a Winnebago adventure so I went with a Winnebago Road Service company, Coach Net. They said we will take care of your cars too. Well, the thing about them is they will tow your vehicles if you brake down but if you have an accident or, like my wife, go Deer hunting they don't cover the tow. Youy have to pay cash to the tow truck driver or he won't tow you. Not even a personal check is good enough.

My question is does Good Sam Cover towing in case of an accident? Can you imagine having an accident in the motorhome and having to pay that bill on the spot? I guess I didn't read the policy well enough when I signed up with them. I am going to revisit Good Sam and AAA to see which gives the best coverage. Does anyone have any preferences?

Thank you

We had AAA and loved them, but kept hearing such good things about Coach Net that we switched. Boy, were we sorry.  The first thing that happened (break down) they took a couple hours to call us back. Then they wanted to tow us to a Wal-Mart!  And they argued with us about the need to take us back to where our repairs had been done and then said "Ok, but then WE'RE DONE WITH YOU!"  The next time we called, they took an hour to call back and then gave us the phone number of a place that was closed.

No emergency roadside service covers accidents - that's what your collision insurance is for.  Not sure what you meant about deer hunting, but there is a limited distance for offroad towing. Probably less than 100 yards - just intended to get you back on the highway from a soft shoulder shoulder or parking lot

I've always had good response from Coach-Net. Sometimes the tow or road service provider can't get to you right away, but Coach-net has been prompt and always called back to see how we were doing.  The tow coverage is to the nearest qualified repair center for your problem.  If no repair facility is immediately available, they will tow you somewhere safe for overnight and then tow to a repair facility in the morning.

RV Roamer said:
  Not sure what you meant about deer hunting, but there is a limited distance for offroad towing. Probably less than 100 yards - just intended to get you back on the highway from a soft shoulder shoulder or parking lot

I am pretty sure he meant she hit a deer.

Yes, she hit her second Deer for the year. There are people with guns that can't do that good. The emergency road service companies are typically better equipted to get you off the road. The police told us if we could get them here with 45 minutes he would call his own tow truck. Then the car would end up in a storage lot. I think Coach Net should have covered the tow even though the insurance company might pay for it. Not everyone has $133 cash to pay for a tow. I believe AAA will tow you up to 100 miles free but will they do Motor homes?

If you have accident insurance (Auto insurance better than PL/PD) then your auto insurance may well cover accident tows.. That is part of the accident coverage.

HOWEVER: that said either break out the magnifying glass and read the policy or talk to your agent and, since he is a salesman, RECORD the chat.

John From Detroit said:
RECORD the chat.

Not a bad idea, but make sure they know they are being recorded AND agree to it.  Different states have different laws on 1-party recording.  In Illinois, without a court order signed by a judge you need both parties' consent to record any conversations... otherwise you are looking at a misdemeanor charge.  That would be one of the unfortunate unintended consequences, not unlike RV owners who set up LLC's in different states to keep their costs down and ended up paying dearly in court fines later on down the road.

A couple months ago, my wife borrowed sons car. She got out of car with it running and was going to get an item out of the trunk. Closed the door and the thing locked itself. Seems she left her purse on passenger seat. anyhow we called Coach-net and within 30 minutes they were there to unlock the vehicle. Gave that car back to son- he can put up with  that ghost in there

In an "old" issue of Business Week (maybe 5 years ago?), IIRC, there was an article that mentions a real "turning point" in the vehicle insurance business... from service to litigation.  Some outfit, like one of the big 3-4 accounting/consulting companies, did a study and showed the insurance company CEOs that they could triple their earnings if they contested every claim, whether they knew it was legitimate and fair or not... lots of folks would just give up, lots would lose a contested claim and in the mean time their premiums could be earning interest longer.  It has permeated the business to the extent that the first answer to every question is "no" and then they wait for you to "fight" for "what's often right".  It was a jobs program for attorneys of course.  Now, I think the concept has spread to many other insurance companies and is spreading to warranty claims for products.  Sometimes you luck out and get relief quickly and easily but the larger and more unusual the claim, the less likely you'll get any help.  That's the quick version of a very long article, IIRC.  So far, CostCo and WM are glaring exceptions to this trend...IMHO.  Oh well.

taoshum said:
article that mentions a real "turning point" in the vehicle insurance business... from service to litigation. . . .

I have been the "victim" of this deplorable tactic a couple times now.  Once when my car was totaled due to engine fire / factory recall, and GM was horrible to deal with.  They offered me a ridiculously low settlements to close the case, didn't return calls, and were just downright rude on the phone.  Luckily my auto insurance took over the claim and got us reimbursed properly, through their own legal channels.

My other experience was when my state's insurance company refused to cover a legitimate worker's comp claim.  Of course I didn't give in or give up, and after a year legal battle they lost big time.  Including paying all my legal bills, of which there wouldn't have been any if they had simply paid my medical at the outset.  But I'm sure while they fought and paid out on my claim, there were probably hundreds of others who "gave up" that they skated on.

Whenever you have any kind of claim with any type of insurance or similar company, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING and get your own independent witnesses/proof if possible!  That's the only way to protect yourself against them saying "it didn't happen that way" if you can't prove otherwise.

slovewell said:
Yes, she hit her second Deer for the year. There are people with guns that can't do that good. The emergency road service companies are typically better equipted to get you off the road. The police told us if we could get them here with 45 minutes he would call his own tow truck. Then the car would end up in a storage lot. I think Coach Net should have covered the tow even though the insurance company might pay for it. Not everyone has $133 cash to pay for a tow. I believe AAA will tow you up to 100 miles free but will they do Motor homes?

AAA will tow a MH but you must pay an extra premiumn for MH coverage.

My insurance would pay for the tow but lets say you have an accident in a motorhome and the bill is $500 because they had to use a big truck and the recovery was complicated. My car was towed 17 miles and it was $133 cash only. If the emergency service company has agreements all over the US,  it is less likely I will have some good ole' boy telling me I need to shell out $800 to pull the motorhome out of a ditch. I want a company that will take care of me during these type of situations. If Gomer wants to over charge me he has to deal with the emergency service company. That is a bad time to be haggling over price with someone. This is why Coach Net should have a plan that covers towing no matter what. It doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I'm not sure my insurance company is as well connected as AAA or Good Sam or even a lousy company like Coach Net.

Your original question was whether anyone had any preferences. Towing coverage has been discussed many times and the general consensus has been that Coach-Net provided the best coverage and service. I really can't follow your first two sentences in your last reply; you have an accident and the tow bill is $500 and ??????? Then your car was towed 17 miles and ????????  If I have an accident, I'd call my insurance company, not Coach-Net. If I have a mechanical problem, I would call Coach-Net, not my insurance company.

Most of us who have compared Good Sam and Coach-Net have usually picked Coach-Net. AAA ranks a distant third because it's too car oriented and you won't get adequate MH coverage thruout the country. There is a big difference between being towed to the nearest service location or the nearest qualified service location. You are also much more likely to get a properly sized tow truck from Coach-Net or GS than AAA.

There is a good reason why most of the affinity towing coverages, like Winnebago's or Freightliner's, are handled by Coach-Net.

The more serious problem here is your wives failure to adjust her driving habits in deer prone areas,, the luck of walking away each time cant last.>>>Dan :-\

I don't want to pay my roadside service a larger premium to cover a service I already have on my accident insurance. You could probably call Coach-net (or GS or whomever) and ask for a recommended tow company in your area, but you still may have to deal with the payment issue. However, when our coach was towed after a major accident last year, the tow company was paid by the shop it was towed to and my insurance paid the repair shop.  I didn't have to do a thing or pay a dime and the bill was $2400.

I don't know of any road service that does what you want, though.

BernieD said:
If you have an accident and require towing, your auto insurance should cover that I believe.

When we initially signed up with Coach-Net I stopped my State Farm tow insurance.  Having read this thread, yesterday I had State Farm re-instate my tow insurance.  Car $6 yr, MH $12 yr.

Nope, the suspenders went to the Salvation Army along with all of my suits, ties, and dress shoes the second day of retirement. 

We have had a few accidents over the years.  $18 a year provides pretty good assurance. 

Back
Top Bottom