The Moab experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Now in our library is an introductory article for those folks wondering what Moab is about. The article is illustrated with some photos (more are on their way, so check back). One caveat - I've been there only twice, so I've seen only a small fraction of what there is to see; My apologies to the Moab veterans who've seen it all and done it all.

To view the article, click the Library button above, select Places to see and things to do, then click The Moab experience.

Additions and corrections are welcome.

Hate to tell you this Tom but we have attended the Moab adventure since the first RV Forum rally and have yet to see it all nor done it all. One of the reasons we enjoy going back every year.  Sounds like you and Chris have a lot of catching up to do. ;D

We sure do Ron and I doubt we'd ever "do it all". Apart from the fact that our Burb wouldn't make it on some of the moderate trails, I doubt we'd even want to be passengers on some of the hard core trails.

We've lived 2 hours away from Moab for over 15 years and haven't even come close to seeing it all or doing it all. That's one of the great things about the area.....too much to see and do, too little time.

Wendy
freezing in Colorado

Wendy,

IIRC you and Mike are hikers. Anything you'd like to add about the hiking opportunities in Moab? Any bike trail experiences from Moab you'd like to share?

Thanks

Tom,

Try this location www.dreamride.com/custom.html for ideas of the trails available for mountain biking and hiking. I just took a quick look but it might give you some ideas. Steve Crouch and I did part of the Poison Spider Mesa Trail a few years ago. Sure glad it was downhill all the way home! :)

Thanks for that link Jim. I can see there's a ton of info there and I'm out of breath just reading it  :)  That might be a good site to link to from the article.

BTW I was hoping for forum members' contributions which, of course, will receive due attribution, to add to my own, albeit limited, experience.

Tom,

Since I only did one ride and it wasn't terribly exciting, though a lot of fun, I can't contribute much there. I'm not sure if any other forum members have ever ridden the bicycle trails. Of course with all the new members we're getting there just might be someone out there. :)

Thanks Jim. Yes, I'm hoping that maybe Mike & Wendy did some bike trails. Also, I think Marsha did some horse riding and rafting while at Moab. It would be good to get their perspective.

Tom,

The memorable thing I remember about our ride was coming home. The trail is on the north side of the Colorado. The ride along the river is quite pleasant. On our way back Steve was behind me. We were not going fast as we were both very tired. Once we turned on to the main road to the campground, I kept checking behind me to be sure Steve was still there. Not far from the entrance I looked again and, sure enough, he was about 100 yards or so behind me. I turned into the driveway and rode to our site. After about 5 minutes I didn't see Steve anywhere. I started to become worried as he should have been back by now. After looking all over for about 15 minutes I spotted him coming down the drive. Apparently he had zoned out on the main road and continued into town before he realized he had gone too far. Just what he needed after the strenuous uphill ride on Poison Spider!!! ;D

Good story Jim. I can relate to zoning out and missing an exit. Chris will occasionally ask where I'm going and I'll realize I was on auto pilot.

Tom,

It happened to me several times while working as a tech in the microwave group at SNET. I would have a job at a remote site and suddenly find myself headed for another site. Sure find the back way in doing that. ;D

Talk about zoning out. Years ago, back  in Oklahoma, plowing wheat fields that were several miles around, I would suddenly realize that I remembered nothing of the past several hours. I developed an ability to follow the track and turn the corners while asleep I guess.

Oh no, not another of your poor farm boy stories!

You know that, if it had been me, I'd have fallen asleep and kept going into the next field instead of making the turns.

Maybe that's where crop circles come from.....zoned out farmers?

As for bike rides in and around Moab, there are tons, from nice gentle rides through town (my kind of rides) to gonzo kinds of rides, like slick rock rides (the kind I stay away from). I'm partial to rides down dirt roads with few hills. Most of our riding was done out at Hovenweep but next time we're through Moab, I'll grab some of the brochures on bike rides. Maybe we can have a bike ride as one of the outings next year?

Wendy

Thanks Wendy.

wendycoke said:
Maybe we can have a bike ride as one of the outings next year?

Are you volunteering? By all accounts, Mike did an outstanding job with the Hovenweep tour this year. Maybe it's your turn next year - leading the bike ride (?)

I'd be glad to lead one but I only have one speed........SLOW. I think I see a spring visit to Moab in the motorhome between now and May to scope out some incredible but easy bike rides........

And speaking of bikes, how far is it from the Quartzite boondock to town should I be inclined to get the bikes down off the bike rack?

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom