1979 Toyota Dolphin restoration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eric R.

I am in the process of performing some restoration work on a friends 1979 Toyota Dolphin RV. I need to do some water proofing on the underside of this rig.

Most of the plywood is covered by some textured looking plastic sheeting, but the wheel wells and skirts are exposed to the elements. It does look like it had some kind of sprayed black textured coating on it, but it is flaking off and the plywood is degrading / dry rotting. Any suggestions or ideas to protect whats left of the exposed plywood?

Maybe some kind of spray on bedliner or liquid nails (construction adhesive) and some plastic sheeting or aluminum sheeting?

As usual, he doesn't want to drop a ton of money into this, but he does want something done about it. Anything to extend its life.  Any ideas? I can take photos if needed to help you guys see what I'm talking about.

Eric R. said:
Any suggestions or ideas to protect whats left of the exposed plywood?

Yeah. You don't even try.

At 31... if the underlying chassis is mechanically solid and reliable enough to justify a real renovation then then you do just that.
Take it all down to the steel and install an entirely new plywood flood (with thin sheet metal at the wheel wells) and go from there with all the interior fittings and appliances similarly evaluated with a cold jaundiced eye whether you save and restore or simp[ly start over.

Having that open access will make all the other still inevitable chassis work that much easier to do too.
Just like a house it all starts with the foundation.

If it's not mechanically solid and reliable...
duct tape, quick stuff foam, gorilla glue, baling wire, marvel mystery oil, far too many tools and a few other such things will be taking up valuable storage space.

"the better part of valor... is discretion" (paraphrased from WS)

Good luck whichever way you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom