Tow Bars & Brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahobgood

Just bought my first RV and am trying to figure out what car to tow and how to tow it.

Only experience in towing anything was a small boat with a car.

Yesterday, talked to Campers World about tow bars and was told that in addition to the tow bar, I'd need a device that applied the car brakes.

Was wondering...do you all use such a device?

Thanks

Yes, a towed brake is not only a safety issue, it's a legal requirement in most states.  See the RV Forum library for more information on selecting a brake.

An auxiliary or "toad" brake will help you stop more quickly and is highly recommended whether legally required or not. By all means get one. There are lots of choices and numerous arguments why one may be better than another, but they all work and meet the need.

The Towed brake systems come in several types.. A very short primer:

All in one (Example: Brake Buddy, Even Brake) these systems consist of a box that you install in the driver's seat EVERY time you tow... and remove in order to drive.. Advantage.. Easy to move to a new towed car, Dis-advantage: You install them EVERY TIME you tow and store them when you drive.. I do not like them, it is too easy to say "Trip is short, I'll just forget it" also easy to make a mistake when installing.

Air over Hydraulic systems.. Two I know are M&G and Air Force One.. M&G is a air device that fits on the master cylinder. It is 100% transparant.. To go from Drive to Tow you simply plug in the air hose at both ends.  To convert to "Drive".. Unplug.

Very nice:  Air Force One, as I recall is a piston that hides under the driver seat.. Attach the push rod to the pedal to tow. .Not as nice as the M&G but fits cars the M&G won't.

Stay & Play (SMI) or Unified Brake Decelerator (US-Gear)

These systems are also transparent.  Once installed you never need to even look at 'em (Well the controller on US-Gear)

The in-car parts are out of sight and out of the way.

To convert from towed to drive or back.. As I recall on the stay & play you flip a switch
On the US-Gear you plug in or unplug the cable.

IN addition the US-Gear has a set of controls in the motor home, You can apply the brakes manually, overriding the automatic control.. You can adjust the "Gain" so it brakes harder for the same pedal pressure (or softer) and by setting the gain to zero you can completly disable the system (From Automatic control)

That is the same level of control a professional Over the Road Semi driver has over his trailer brakes.

All these systems I've named are progressive: The harder you brake, the harder they brake.. MOST are adjustable as to "Gain" (poroportional) (not the air systems) the US gear from the driver's seat.

Major disadvantage of the transparant systems is you do have to "Install" them (once) and if you trade towed cars you have to Remove them.. Much harder to remove.

But, still, as compared to installing and removing EVERY time you tow.... I"ll take the US-Gear system please.

Back
Top Bottom