Skymed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sportdog

Greetings,

My wife and I are fairly new to RVing and now that we've retired and bought a Class A we are looking forward to traveling. We both have some medical conditions, nothing too serious but the thought of something happening while far from home is always a concern. I've seen ads in magazines for a medical emergency transport service, 'Skymed'. After looking over their website it seems to be quite reasonable, just a little too reasonable. Has anyone had experience with this company?

Thanks,
Sportdog

If you join FMCA, and you should, you will get Medex converage as part of your membership benefits.? Go to the www.fmca.com web site for all of the details on this and other benefits.  Specifically, http://www.fmca.com/membership/benefits/full_family/medex.asp has the details on the Medex medical evacuation program.

Sportdog said:
Greetings,

My wife and I are fairly new to RVing and now that we've retired and bought a Class A we are looking forward to traveling. We both have some medical conditions, nothing too serious but the thought of something happening while far from home is always a concern. I've seen ads in magazines for a medical emergency transport service, 'Skymed'. After looking over their website it seems to be quite reasonable, just a little too reasonable. Has anyone had experience with this company?

Thanks,
Sportdog

By all means follow Neds advice and join FMCA the magazine is worth the dues let along all the other benefits like Medex.  We decided that with Medex coverage that comes with the FMCA membership something like Skymed would just be duplication of service.

Ned and Ron are right in joining FMCA and getting the benefit.

But there are differences between Skymed and the the FMCA Coverage so need to read the fine print and talk to Skymed.

A  major difference is FMCA coverage takes you to the 'nearest' appropriate medical facility, whereas Skymed will take you to where you chose, like all the way back home, even after initial  emergency treatment at a local medical facility .  There are other options with Skymed like the helicopter coverage.

I have had Skymed for a number of years due to my wife's complex medical condition but as she no longer is able to RV I will probably be happy just with the FMCA coverage when time to renew.

I have found Skymed to be upfront and will explain their coverage, but I have never had to use their service. In one of our RV clubs, a fellow died suddenly on a trip. Skymed had a professional driver bring back the RV even before his remaiins were back home. IN this case they did everything in a timely and professional manner.

Bob

For what it's worth, SportDog, we have SkyMed and "touch wood," have never used it.  We are not members of FMCA.

We're non-fulltiming Canadians and take trips south of the border.  One of the things we like about the SkyMed program is that they will bring us home to the little "berg" of Sechelt, BC where we live; at that point our regular doctors and our local hospital can figure out which of the big hospitals in Vancouver we should be sent to by provincial government transportation.  This latter part works well as I discovered recently when I had to be medevac'd (by helicopter) from Sechelt to Vancouver for bypass surgery.

As Bob is suggesting indirectly, it is the usual story of know your own needs well and buy the program that best matches those needs.

Ciao,

Doug

Sportdgog

Skymed is an FMCA sponsor and has a good reputation there. However, as others have mentioned, one of the included benefits of FMCA membership is the FMCA Medex plan. Medex is an excellent option if your travel keeps you within the US and Canada and you don't insist on transportation back to you home for medical coverage. Medex will only transport you to the nearest qualified facility. If you can live with Medex's limits, it is an excellent alternative. However, you won't go wrong with Skymed.

Back
Top Bottom