EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Tire Pressure Sensors  (Read 11141 times)

00RoadKing

• ---
  • Ned Jones
Tire Pressure Sensors
« on: July 16, 2010, 08:05:43 AM »
I am looking to install a tire pressure monitoring system on my '07 American Eagle 43'. I will be towing a tandem axle trailer and have a tag on the MH so I will be needing a total of 12 sensors. I am looking for suggestions from people who have used and liked or disliked differnt systems. Please help by telling me the pros and cons of any systems you have used. Thanks in advance.
2007 American Eagle
Co-pilot Martha Jones
2000 Harley Road King
2007 Custom Built Bobber

billwild

• ---
Re: Tire Pressure Sensors
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:33:58 AM »
I recently purchased the monitor system from TST and had a chance to use it cross country. I find it does a very good job. It reports both tire pressure and tire temperature which a lot of other systems do not. It can be expanded to 12 tires and more if needed. I also like the feature that you can lock the sensors onto the wheels with a small tool they include so the sensors do not grow legs.  The price was reasonable as well. Here is their site:   www.tsttruck.com

Bill

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:36:22 AM by billwild »

Orick

• ---
  • Went Full Time to Half Time but Still Fun Time
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:41:58 AM »
You'll get a lot of opinions on this subject.  I've used the Doran 360 with 10 sensors and an RF signal booster for two years now.  Almost never get a false alarm and it saved my bacon once by flagging me that a toad tire was going flat quickly.  I've just had my first "problem" in that it looks like one of my sensors has died but I'll have them look at it while we're at The Rally next week.

There are a couple new ones on the market which are cheaper so do your research and good luck to you.
Rick, Nancy, Peanut, Lola (Westies) & Bailey the Sheltie Dog
2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Ford Explorer Toad

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
We have had the Pressure Pro TPMS for nearly 6 years and highly recommend it.  Many others here have the same system.  The after sale customer support is excellent.  See our RV Forum Resources for a member that is a dealer.

For long vehicles, there is a wireless repeater.  We have one and it works very well.  Without it, we had problems detecting the towed vehicle sensors, most likely due to our rear radiator.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:57:01 AM by Ned »
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

kevin

• ---
  • North West Arkansas..Go Hogs!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »
Just became a TST dealer first of June. Love it, the tire temp, and pressure gave me that added sense of security. The locks are great, but remember that you will have to remove them to air up. The system can add as many tire sensors as needed too.  The small size is also a plus. Let me know if I can help with any questions(if I can) I am still learning my system myself. Kevin
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

gave up on that winning lotto ticket!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:09:01 AM »
Like Ned, we use the Pressure Pro system and ours is also 6 years old (and still on the original batteries!).  The TST system also gets good marks, as does the Doran 360.

From time to time we have had false alarms from our PP, usually when the inner rubber grommet gets damaged from screwing the sensors off and on again. PP gave me a free package of the little rubber plugs and I change if needed. After sale support is outstanding, via either email or phone.

Some people think the ability to get temperature readings is important, but I do not. Make your own call on that score. Otherwise the capabilities of the three major systems are pretty much the same.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
Has anyone done a spread sheet on the various TPMS systems that are on the market? If so, I sure would like a copy.
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »
I purchased a Hopkins pressure monitoring system from Camping World a few weeks ago. Neither I or Camping World could get it to work correctly on my rig, a 1500 Dodge pickup and 28 ft. TT.  It would read some of the tires, then quit working, or only read the tire if we put it in the pickup bed. They tried 8 different sensors. I don't know if it was getting interference from the non-running generator in my pickup bed or what. But since the truck and TT were in their normal set up for towing, I had no confidence in the ability to get good data.    I chose to return it.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »
I have the TST system for several months now and really like it, especially the peace of mind that I know if one of my tires has started getting low or if a blowout occurs I will know about it before someone pulls up along side and tells me.

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:41:08 PM »

I will know about it before someone pulls up along side and tells me.

I need a bay door open sensor ;D ;D ;D . We drove from   Indio to Valencia yesterday and while on I-210 a truck pulled alongside, honked and pointed to the side. One of our bay doors had popped open. Only stuck out about 6" and wasn't going anywhere (it is the type that pulls up), but open nevertheless. Stopped and closed it but it had popped open again by the time we got to the campground. :'(
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 02:24:46 PM »
Time for some duck tape Bernie  ;D
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »
a HAMMER AND NAILS.>>>d
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Orick

• ---
  • Went Full Time to Half Time but Still Fun Time
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »
I wondered about getting one with the temperature feature but at the time I bought my Doran360 I think it was quite a jump in price.  I have the "over pressure" alarm feature and I kind of figured if the temp is going up the pressure will as well so I felt it was a reasonable compromise for the price.
Rick, Nancy, Peanut, Lola (Westies) & Bailey the Sheltie Dog
2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Ford Explorer Toad

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »
I'm with Gary on the temperature readout.  I think it's a marketing gimmick more than a useful feature.  If the tire temperatures are going up, it's most likely due to a loss of air pressure and that will trigger an alarm.  I do check our tires periodically with an IR thermometer and find the temps vary as much as the pressures due to outside air temps, speed, and sun.
2007 GMC Canyon

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 06:47:14 PM »
OORoadKing,

See this entry and you'll know why you need something!  We have Pressure Pro - thankfully!
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=33048.msg309648#msg309648

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »
I have had a system from tiresafeguard.com  for 4 years now and have been very happy with it. 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Bobandpamlemay

• ---
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 08:08:28 PM »
I bought a TPMS from TST Technologies in January 2010. Install was a snap after I had metal valve stems installed. On our way to South Texas, one sensor did not work and another let me know when a tire hit 100 degrees. ( I set the temp tolleance too low) I called TST and spoke to Melissa and a replacement sensor was sent to me. On my return trip, the power plug went dead and I called them and it was replaced as well after I got home. On the way home from South Texas, I used the hard wired connection and tapped in to my CB connection. Worked well.
A month ago I took the 5er in for service and hooked up the monitor for the 40 mile one way drive. One sensor did not work. The other 3 did. When I got home I turnd the sensor and reentered the sensor number. Surprise!!!!!!!! It worked while on my driveway. Unfortunately the other 3 did not althouigh I may have not given then enough time to record. (The manual says up to several minutes). As I was getting ready for a 5,000 trip to Alaska and Canada, I was real concerned that I had an intermittent problem. I called TST to speak to Melissa only to find out that she has left the company. I did speak to Chrissy and after several phone calls during which I found out that they were out of sensors
she pursued 2 sensors that were not new but they worked. She sent them to me before I left last Thursday and called to tell me that new ones would be shipped on or about July 2oth. If I don't need any of the old/new sensors, she told me to ship them back to her.
When we left 2 days ago all 4 worked well. The temp are in my tool box just in case.
Bob and Pam
Schaumburg, Ill
2008 F250 Diesel 
2009 Komfort 34' fifth wheel

billwild

• ---
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 08:19:05 PM »
Bernie, you are missing the boat here. Bernie is a Pressure Pro salesman. So if you are interested in PP, contact him.

Bill

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
This isn't exactly a spread sheet, but here http://www.tiresafeguardusa.com/compare.html is a comparison I found on a TireSafeGuard web site.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

kevin

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »
Tire temp will also show, draging brakes, wheel bearning problems. I believe that temp climbs faster than pressure does, that is why I would want both.

Your tires will climb from 100psi up to 115 on a 7hr trip. Mine started out at 100psi and by the end of the day were at the 115psi plus mark. yet temp started at 75 and climbed to 80 until I stoped for lunch, then they reached up to 97 while sitting in the lot. During the day they climbed as high as a 110.  The temp climbed faster, and droped faster than the pressure did.  If it will climb faster, then when you have a slow leak the temp would indicate that sooner, rather than later one would think?
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

00RoadKing

• ---
  • Ned Jones
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
Thank you all for your comments and real world experiences. As always I can find the help I need right here on rvforum.net!
2007 American Eagle
Co-pilot Martha Jones
2000 Harley Road King
2007 Custom Built Bobber

billwild

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »
Ned, keep us updated on your choice and how it works out for you.

Bill

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 08:42:44 AM »
Oh no, we have another Ned.  This is going to get confusing :)
2007 GMC Canyon

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 10:07:18 AM »
Oh no, we have another Ned.  This is going to get confusing :)

Just check avatars!

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

kevin

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »
If I'm correct(which seldom happens) the price difference between the tst, and pressure pro for a 6 tire system is only $25bucks? for that difference the tire temp addy would make the difference for me. ;)
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »
For $25 difference I would go for the experience and known excellent customer service of Pressure Pro.  Temperature just isn't that important.  As I've said before, I believe it's just a marketing gimmick.  Pressure Pro actually does measure temperature, they just don't display it on the normal display.  It is available through the PP monitor if you really want to see it.
2007 GMC Canyon

kevin

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 11:02:21 AM »
how much more is that monitor? As I have said before, I believe that tire temp is just as important, I believe that it will give you more info and quicker info to a problem than just the pressure will, but hey that's just my op. kevin
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »
Another plus for Pressure Pro - both the company and one of their dealers participate in the forum and respond to questions. (No, they don't sponsor us, nor have they ever been asked to.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:49:06 AM by Tom »

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 11:44:54 AM »
how much more is that monitor? As I have said before, I believe that tire temp is just as important, I believe that it will give you more info and quicker info to a problem than just the pressure will, but hey that's just my op. kevin

Kevin

PP only uses one monitor for all RV applications. No extra charge. IMHO, more important is the high pressure warning that PP uses. Since sensors monitor the temperature or pressure in the valve stem, you can get an inaccurate temperature reading. The pressure reading is uniform in both the tire and valve. The PP high pressure warning is factory preset for 30% over base pressure but is user adjustable to higher or lower tolerances.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Richard 34A

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 06:50:17 PM »
I'm with Gary on the temperature readout.  I think it's a marketing gimmick more than a useful feature.  If the tire temperatures are going up, it's most likely due to a loss of air pressure and that will trigger an alarm.  I do check our tires periodically with an IR thermometer and find the temps vary as much as the pressures due to outside air temps, speed, and sun.

Might very well be a marketing gimmick, unless you own a Workhorse chassis that has had brake-related issues for more than three years with no repairs provided for at this time. I have the TST system and picked it for that very feature: I feel that if one or more of the brake calipers starts dragging and heats up the calipers and rotors, I'm hoping that the sensors will tip me off before I have a complete brake meltdown. If I see a huge disparity between left and right, or front to back temperatures, I know it's time to pull over and take a look. I also have a non-contact infrared laser temperature gauge - $30 / Harbor Freight.

Off-thread: (My local Workhorse dealer told me the other day that he's hoping to start replacing Bosch calipers by the end of the year. Says that rotor and pad replacement will be a customer pay, but the calipers and labor to replace the calipers will be covered under the recall. If the repairs happen by the end of the year, wow! four years from start to finish to finally have the defective calipers replaced. Workhorse should give a 50% discount to replace the rotors and pads at the same time, but that's a subject for another another thread.)

Anyone who is comparing TPMS systems can email me for a .pdf copy of the TST owner's manual. TPMS systems are finally becoming standard equipment on many new passenger vehicles and I feel that any brand is worhwhile to have, especially on RV's.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:59:17 PM by Richard 34A »
Workhorse Owners: We won! Brake Recall in Effect!

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »
Richard

If a caliper starts dragging (not a very common occurrence), the heat will increase the air pressure within the tire. With a PressurePro system, once that increase reaches 30%, the high pressure alarm will go off, the alert level is user adjustable if you need a narrower or larger warning range. You won't need to check anything, the alert is automatic.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

kevin

• ---
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
the tst system offers both high/low pressure, and temp settings. if a caliper is dragging the temp is going to show up alot faster than the tire pressure increase will.   I guess the thread is like the difference between gas/diesel. everyone will have their own op's.  With that said, I'll stick with mine, you stick with yours, and we can Imagine that ours is the best ;D or cheapest ;D
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »
Just became a TST dealer first of June.

Sounds like you might have a vested interest in promoting TST products. If so, I'd refer you to our forum rules (click the Rules button above). Neither Pressure Pro nor any of their dealers has come close to crossing the line.

Richard 34A

• ---
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 10:35:29 PM »
Richard

If a caliper starts dragging (not a very common occurrence), the heat will increase the air pressure within the tire. With a PressurePro system, once that increase reaches 30%, the high pressure alarm will go off, the alert level is user adjustable if you need a narrower or larger warning range. You won't need to check anything, the alert is automatic.

Sounds like it is very similar to the TST, though the TST gives you an automatic alarm either by tire air pressure or tire air temperature. If it wasn't due to my concern with the calipers hanging up on my MH, I'm sure any system available would work perfectly. I felt at the time I decided to buy a TMPS that the tire air temperature was an important feature, though for most, the air pressure alarm probably suits them perfectly.

Myself, I don't rep or sell any TMPS, so my only purpose is to simply recommend the use of any brand of TMPS's on RV's for safety reasons; I just happend to choose TST. (Guess I'm a little behind; just did a Google and found federal law that starting with the 2008 model-year, 'light vehicles' are required to have a TMPS.)

As to calipers not dragging very often, when I dropped off my MH today at Workhorse (intermittent problem with the fuel sending unit; quoted $1,700 to replace the sending unit and fuel pump, which is two separate parts in one unit, so WH recommends replacing both at the same time due to the labor costs), the service writer told me that WCC is having to replace the calipers on approximately 4,000 chassis, times 4 calipers per MH... that's a lot of Bosch calipers. And he said even worse, all the calipers that WCC has already replaced and refunds issued, all those calipers will have to be replaced with the new design. He told me, hopefully tongue in cheek, that some owners might be another two-years out getting replacements due to parts availbility and the required shop time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:06:04 PM by Richard 34A »
Workhorse Owners: We won! Brake Recall in Effect!

billwild

• ---
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 08:31:25 AM »
Tom, I have had a certain Pressure Pro salesman on this site send me a personal message promoting his product. He also questioned me about why I would want to go with TST. I was only too glad to fill him in. I for one do not have a vested interest in TST. I simply compared for my own purpose and liked what I saw in TST.

Bill

kevin

• ---
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 09:22:21 AM »
Sounds like you might have a vested interest in promoting TST products. If so, I'd refer you to our forum rules (click the Rules button above). Neither Pressure Pro nor any of their dealers has come close to crossing the line.
Vested interest? not really, If you've read most of my post, I'm also a super steer dealer too, and a interstate battery dealer too. I have never sold any of these to anyone on the internet.  I become dealers for many things, that get me a better deal on products. If I have a good customer(locally) and they ask about it, I will sell to them.  So please don't assume that you know what my interest are.  I believe as stated before that the tst system is better, and depending on the package you choose, even cheaper, and offers more info, which I also believe more info the better.

So as far as crossing a line If free speech is a problem here on the friendliest place on the web, please let me know and I will move on. kevin
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 12:21:14 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Kevin.

No assumptions on my part; Just a friendly heads up and reminder of our forum rules, which I do from time to time. Most folks understand and comply.

If free speech is a problem here ...

Free to the extent that any posts must still comply with our forum rules. This is not the wild west of the internet; It's a private forum, and membership requires us all to accept an agreement before being allowed to register.

Thanks for your understanding.

kevin

• ---
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 02:26:02 PM »
no problem here Tom ;)
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 02:30:22 PM »
Thanks Kevin.

Hosted by Over The Network