Tire Pressure Sensors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00RoadKing

I am looking to install a tire pressure monitoring system on my '07 American Eagle 43'. I will be towing a tandem axle trailer and have a tag on the MH so I will be needing a total of 12 sensors. I am looking for suggestions from people who have used and liked or disliked differnt systems. Please help by telling me the pros and cons of any systems you have used. Thanks in advance.

I recently purchased the monitor system from TST and had a chance to use it cross country. I find it does a very good job. It reports both tire pressure and tire temperature which a lot of other systems do not. It can be expanded to 12 tires and more if needed. I also like the feature that you can lock the sensors onto the wheels with a small tool they include so the sensors do not grow legs.  The price was reasonable as well. Here is their site:  www.tsttruck.com

Bill

You'll get a lot of opinions on this subject.  I've used the Doran 360 with 10 sensors and an RF signal booster for two years now.  Almost never get a false alarm and it saved my bacon once by flagging me that a toad tire was going flat quickly.  I've just had my first "problem" in that it looks like one of my sensors has died but I'll have them look at it while we're at The Rally next week.

There are a couple new ones on the market which are cheaper so do your research and good luck to you.

We have had the Pressure Pro TPMS for nearly 6 years and highly recommend it.  Many others here have the same system.  The after sale customer support is excellent.  See our RV Forum Resources for a member that is a dealer.

For long vehicles, there is a wireless repeater.  We have one and it works very well.  Without it, we had problems detecting the towed vehicle sensors, most likely due to our rear radiator.

Just became a TST dealer first of June. Love it, the tire temp, and pressure gave me that added sense of security. The locks are great, but remember that you will have to remove them to air up. The system can add as many tire sensors as needed too.  The small size is also a plus. Let me know if I can help with any questions(if I can) I am still learning my system myself. Kevin

Like Ned, we use the Pressure Pro system and ours is also 6 years old (and still on the original batteries!).  The TST system also gets good marks, as does the Doran 360.

From time to time we have had false alarms from our PP, usually when the inner rubber grommet gets damaged from screwing the sensors off and on again. PP gave me a free package of the little rubber plugs and I change if needed. After sale support is outstanding, via either email or phone.

Some people think the ability to get temperature readings is important, but I do not. Make your own call on that score. Otherwise the capabilities of the three major systems are pretty much the same.

Has anyone done a spread sheet on the various TPMS systems that are on the market? If so, I sure would like a copy.

I purchased a Hopkins pressure monitoring system from Camping World a few weeks ago. Neither I or Camping World could get it to work correctly on my rig, a 1500 Dodge pickup and 28 ft. TT.  It would read some of the tires, then quit working, or only read the tire if we put it in the pickup bed. They tried 8 different sensors. I don't know if it was getting interference from the non-running generator in my pickup bed or what. But since the truck and TT were in their normal set up for towing, I had no confidence in the ability to get good data.    I chose to return it.

I have the TST system for several months now and really like it, especially the peace of mind that I know if one of my tires has started getting low or if a blowout occurs I will know about it before someone pulls up along side and tells me.

tvman44 said:
I will know about it before someone pulls up along side and tells me.

I need a bay door open sensor ;D ;D ;D . We drove from  Indio to Valencia yesterday and while on I-210 a truck pulled alongside, honked and pointed to the side. One of our bay doors had popped open. Only stuck out about 6" and wasn't going anywhere (it is the type that pulls up), but open nevertheless. Stopped and closed it but it had popped open again by the time we got to the campground. :'(

I wondered about getting one with the temperature feature but at the time I bought my Doran360 I think it was quite a jump in price.  I have the "over pressure" alarm feature and I kind of figured if the temp is going up the pressure will as well so I felt it was a reasonable compromise for the price.

I'm with Gary on the temperature readout.  I think it's a marketing gimmick more than a useful feature.  If the tire temperatures are going up, it's most likely due to a loss of air pressure and that will trigger an alarm.  I do check our tires periodically with an IR thermometer and find the temps vary as much as the pressures due to outside air temps, speed, and sun.

OORoadKing,

See this entry and you'll know why you need something!  We have Pressure Pro - thankfully!
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=33048.msg309648#msg309648

ArdraF

I bought a TPMS from TST Technologies in January 2010. Install was a snap after I had metal valve stems installed. On our way to South Texas, one sensor did not work and another let me know when a tire hit 100 degrees. ( I set the temp tolleance too low) I called TST and spoke to Melissa and a replacement sensor was sent to me. On my return trip, the power plug went dead and I called them and it was replaced as well after I got home. On the way home from South Texas, I used the hard wired connection and tapped in to my CB connection. Worked well.
A month ago I took the 5er in for service and hooked up the monitor for the 40 mile one way drive. One sensor did not work. The other 3 did. When I got home I turnd the sensor and reentered the sensor number. Surprise!!!!!!!! It worked while on my driveway. Unfortunately the other 3 did not althouigh I may have not given then enough time to record. (The manual says up to several minutes). As I was getting ready for a 5,000 trip to Alaska and Canada, I was real concerned that I had an intermittent problem. I called TST to speak to Melissa only to find out that she has left the company. I did speak to Chrissy and after several phone calls during which I found out that they were out of sensors
she pursued 2 sensors that were not new but they worked. She sent them to me before I left last Thursday and called to tell me that new ones would be shipped on or about July 2oth. If I don't need any of the old/new sensors, she told me to ship them back to her.
When we left 2 days ago all 4 worked well. The temp are in my tool box just in case.

Bernie, you are missing the boat here. Bernie is a Pressure Pro salesman. So if you are interested in PP, contact him.

Bill

Tire temp will also show, draging brakes, wheel bearning problems. I believe that temp climbs faster than pressure does, that is why I would want both.

Your tires will climb from 100psi up to 115 on a 7hr trip. Mine started out at 100psi and by the end of the day were at the 115psi plus mark. yet temp started at 75 and climbed to 80 until I stoped for lunch, then they reached up to 97 while sitting in the lot. During the day they climbed as high as a 110.  The temp climbed faster, and droped faster than the pressure did.  If it will climb faster, then when you have a slow leak the temp would indicate that sooner, rather than later one would think?

Back
Top Bottom