RV With Pets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a great shot!.....Gonzo is a very good bird but she wouldn't do that with my dog Eddie!....That's great! They all have very distinct personalities!........

Chester was a hand raised baby. A perfect stranger could pick him up and lay him down on his back in their hand and he would just lay their content as can be. He was my ex wifes bird and was really cool. We named him Chester because he broke his leg in the nest and walked with a limp. Got $100 off the price because of that.

Sure, travel with pets. We lost our dachshund in March, and lost our Shelties last year and year before. We recently adopted a poodle puppy, named Charlie. Believe me, a three-month-old puppy can certainly liven up your life!

Attachments

• Charlie-treat-wb.jpg
    Charlie-treat-wb.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 16
Pierat said:
Sure, travel with pets. We lost our dachshund in March, and lost our Shelties last year and year before. We recently adopted a poodle puppy, named Charlie. Believe me, a three-month-old puppy can certainly liven up your life!

So are you a John Steinbeck fan? He has a book out called travels with Charley in Search of America.

http://www.amazon.com/Travels-Charley-Search-America-Centennial/dp/0142000701/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280257869&sr=1-1

Yes, Charley was a brown Standard Poodle. If you haven't read the book it is now required reading for you. The book is a classic.

Attachments

• TravelsWithCharley1.jpg
    TravelsWithCharley1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 13
Pierat said:
We recently adopted a poodle puppy, named Charlie. Believe me, a three-month-old puppy can certainly liven up your life!

Oh, no, another poodle named Charlie ! You should bring him to Redmond or Quartzsite to play with Marsha's poodle Charlie !

angiesdamon,

What a cute dog! 

We have a Shih Tzu also ("Boondoggle") and a rescued miniature Dachshund ("Gypsy") and a rescued cat ("Emmy").  The dogs absolutely love to go and get very excited when they know we are loading the 5th wheel to hit the road.  They want to ensure we don't leave them behind!

Emmy (on the other hand) does not care much to travel in the truck or trailer; however, she is fine once we reach our destination.  Emmy was an adult cat when we rescued her and had spent a large portion of her life in a shelter, so the transition was more difficult for her.  I'm not sure she will ever enjoy the travel portion of our outings.

As mentioned in other posts, any pet brings responsibilities and issues.  I had an electrical protection system added to our RV, partly for that reason.  If the power should get erratic and voltage fluctuate the system cuts off power until voltage is correct and waits 2 minutes to restore power.  This action will keep a momentary power hit from causing the Air Conditioner to trip the breakers.  So we can be relatively certain that the AC will continue to operate while we are away.

For us our animals are family and we try to treat them that way.

Attachments

• The pack Oct 2009 001 crop.jpg
    The pack Oct 2009 001 crop.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 14
Oh my gosh...Pierat....you did it!!  A 12 week old poodle puppy!!!!  First thing, do you have a crate?  Second thing, good that you got a different color so we can keep them apart.  ;)

I don't envy you the puppy part.  I recommend a book called "dog training for dummies".  It has great training suggestion such as feeding on a regular basis, limited food and water after a certain time at night, etc, etc. but it made training a snap and also explained how to handle problems.  Tim and I have had tons of dogs over the years, but this book made a lot of things much easier.

I was very hesitant when after we lost our first poodle when my husband suggested we get another while we were living in the motor home and the house was being built.  But it actually worked out really well because Charlie was always so close by and underfoot.  If your Charlie is typical, he'll learn everything very quickly.  Have fun!!!

BTW, we had never heard of "Travels With Charlie" by Steinbeck.  So you are way ahead of us. 

I've attached a picture of our Charlie when he was about 12 weeks.  You didn't say, but I'm assuming your Charlie is a standard?

Have fun!

Marsha~ 

Attachments

• Marsha&Charlie.jpg
    Marsha&Charlie.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 34
Thank you all. Hi, Marsha. Charlie has been with us 2.5 weeks and he is 15 weeks old. He will be like a small standard poodle, about 18" - 19" at the withers, according to the breeder. One parent was a kleinpudel, also called moyen, which is just a European poodle that is a small standard, not nearly as small as miniatures or toys. The other parent was a small standard. Charlie is very active, in fact, quite a handful. He seems to learn quickly.

We have found two excellent books on dog training, especially puppies: "Good Dog 101" by Cristine Dahl, and "Outwitting Dogs" by Terry Ryan and Kirsten Mortensen. Dahl is a Seattle scientist and trainer; Ryan operates Legacy Canine training in Sequim (about 35 miles west of here), where we're taking Charlie. It takes a little organization and patience, but this kinder, positive training method has been very effective for us so far, and much nicer for us and the dog than the old, military-style, choke-chain methods. So, the adventure begins anew!

Back
Top Bottom