The merits of tabbed browsers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

Tom said:
If you use a tabbed browser, you can speed things up a little by opening the new messages into separate tabs, allowing you to read a message while others are downloading.

Tom

I am not sure if it works the same way with other tabbed browser extensions, but with Tabbrowserer Extensions, I hold the CTL key down while I am clicking on the NEW buttons and each Topic comes up in a separate tab. I find this to be a very easy way to quickly load all the messages (specially when on cell phone) and skip over the ones I am not too interested in.

The method will vary depending on the browser and, in the case of Firefox, which extension is being used. In iRider a right click opens each thread in a new tab and positions to the first unread message.

Hi Bernie,

I recall in another discussion that you and I were using different FF browser extensions for tabs. Mine doesn't work the way yours does and I should switch to the one you're using.

I see Ned has explained how iRider does it.

I have found that the best tabbed browsing extension for Firefox is Tab Mix Plus.

Tom said:
I recall in another discussion that you and I were using different FF browser extensions for tabs. Mine doesn't work the way yours does and I should switch to the one you're using.

Tom

Ned used to use a different tab browser extension and I tried switching over to it because Mozilla really doesn't like Tabbrowser Extensions ( the one I use). It may create problems for users and isn't as compatible with FF as Mozilla would like (not sure how, I haven't had any issues with it), but I have become very comfortable with it and it is does a lot of neat things. I'll take a look at Ned's latest recommendation, but it'll take a lot to get me off of TbE.

Ned said:
I have found that the best tabbed browsing extension for Firefox is Tab Mix Plus.

Ned

I see Mozilla gives it a good rating and still doesn't give any nods to TbE. What are the advantages of TMP?

Mostly that it's approved by the Mozilla folks.? It also seems to have all the features that I want from TBE.  Also, I'm running FF 1.5 and I'm not sure that TBE will work with this version.

Ned said:
Mostly that it's approved by the Mozilla folks.  It also seems to have all the features that I want from TBE.  Also, I'm running FF 1.5 and I'm not sure that TBE will work with this version.

Tabbrowser Extensions runs on 1.5. Using it now.

Ok, thanks for the info.  I haven't kept up with TBE since switching.

A word of caution:

Tabbrowser Extensions runs on 1.5. Using it now.

Tabbrowser Extensions and Tab Mix Plus do not play well together. When I installed FF 1.5, Tabbrowser Extensions installed automatically from a previous FF install; then I tried installing Tab Mix Plus, FF locked up completely. Had to create a new profile without Tabbrowser Extensions (Thanks Ned); then Tab Mix Plus worked just fine. Hopefully no one else will have the same problem. 

In general, you don't want to install more than one extension for any purpose.  They tend to get in each others way at best, or cause severe problems at worst, as Karl discovered.

For anyone upgrading to FF 1.5, I think it's best to start with a new profile and install only those extensions that have been updated for 1.5 rather than try to let FF update the old extensions.  At the very least, backup your profile first, then if you have a problem with the upgrade, you can go back to the previous version, restore the profile, and start over.

How does one "create a new profile" and avoid overwriting the existing FF install when applying 1.5? Just installing in a different folder would not seem to be sufficient.    I'd prefer to play with 1.5 a bit and see what extentions work before commiting myself.

Or copy the shortcut to Firefox and change the command line to add the -p parameter.  Then you can start the profile manager whenever you need to with just the shortcut.  You can run different versions of FF but it's not advisable to use the same profile.

Back
Top Bottom