Best BBQ grill for RV'ing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnbrown

We are trying to find an excellent compact BBQ grill for our RV.  We hope to find one that is easy to store and doesn't take up much room.  Any suggestions?

WOW! That's like asking what is the best religion! Lots of opinions, and lots of different considerations in the choice.  Smoker vs stove vs grill. Size, Temperature. Gas or charcoal or something more exotic like wood chips.  If you  are looking for small, portable, gas and cooking mostly burgers and dogs, most any of the little gas grills do ok. The Weber Baby Q is a top model, but fairly heavy and a bit pricey. The Coleman Perfectflow is a dandy and a bit less expensive, and the Coleman Roadtrip Tabletop is ok too. Some folks love the RVQ, designed for mounting on an RV at the campsite.  For somewhat more serious grilling, the Port-a-chef is a good choice and still portable.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=51036978&source=k232270&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-Performics-_-k232270-_-Primary

http://www.rvqgrill.com/

http://www.campingworld.com/category/gas-grills/111

We converted to gas grills forty years ago.  We all know that wood or charcoal provide flavor that is difficult to match with a gas grill.  HOWEVER, many of us have succumbed to the easier way of doing things, hence gas grills have proliferated. 

We have had all different kinds of gas grills and carry the Weber  Baby Q that Gary referred to.  By a long shot, it is one of the best cooking gas grills we have ever had ................. bar none.  It stores as easy as any small gas grill.

Originally we did not purchase the portable stand or grill cover that is available, figuring we could set it on the pic-nic table and put it in a storage compartment when not in use.  Since, we have purchased both.  When not in use it easily rolls under the bed room slide to help protect it from weather.     

We use the blue Coleman Road Trip and like it well enough.  I've switched to using the small green bottles instead of having to carry a 5 gal tank.  Ease of storage is relative.  I've just converted one of my bays to a "kitchen" to hold the grill and all my grillin' goodies.

If you use a table top grill, please don't put it on a plastic topped picnic table.  We have been in many campgrounds that use them and nearly every one has been warped and/or burned from people using grills on them.  Personally, I wouldn't use a grill on ANY picnic table, wood or plastic.  An exception might the metal tables found in a lot of COE campgrounds.

Sound advice (as usual) Ned.  I have never seen a plastic pic-nic table in a public situation.  What I do see that just irritates the devil out of me are pic-nic tables where people have cooked, eaten, prepared food, or what ever and have left the table top in deplorable condition.  Some people have no consideration for the next guy.  I often wonder if they live that way at home.

Sorry for the thread drift, dnbrown!

I carry gas and charcoal grills. When I want slow cook some meat it's the Smokey
Joe, for a quick meal I use the Weber gas like Tom has.
J

The Weber Go-Anywhere is a nice little inexpensive grill. We have a Weber Baby Q which is a very nice grill that fits well in a storage bay. Of course I'm prejudiced, Mike's the Weber rep for the Four Corners area.

Wendy

I'm with Ned, and don't put the grill on any kind of picnic table. I use a folding aluminum stand sold by Coleman that I bought 25 years ago. It folds up and sits in a plastic bin, along with the grill, in one of the storage bays. Who's that young guy in the picture  ???

Attachments

• Grill_stand.jpg
    Grill_stand.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 128
LOL Wendy, not much.

Last night Chris and I were watching my namesake on a UK talk show. He's now 70, moves a lot slower, and his voice is even deeper, but he can still belt out the songs. I'll bet he has a very nice grill in his back yard  :)

Chris also has a chef - the one in the picture.

I use a half/sheet cake pan under my gas grill if/when I have to put it on top of a picnic table.  It matches nicely with the footprint of the Weber go-anywhere.  That's an old trick I developed for cooking on the tailgate of my fishing truck.  I store it along with the grill and use it for many other purposes.

Lou, I don't think a cake pan will keep the heat from damaging a plastic table, but it might prevent setting a wooden one on fire :)

Reminds me of my youth in Indiana.  Myself and a carload of friends went to Indy to party the night before the Indy 500.  Took along steaks and a disposable grill.  Later that night we cooked the steaks, on the hood of my car.  From then on every dog I passed wanted to lick my car.  It sure created a lot of questions when I got home.

Tom's just aged a lot in 25 years, especially in the last few :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom