1985 winnebago chieftian elecrical problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zimger67

Bought RV 3 weeks ago and everything worked. Now I have no 12 volt lighting, and the generator does not try to start. I cleaned the grounds, and the terminals on the RV battery. The engine battery starts the engine ok.(Did not take them loose) Hooked the 110 up and the AC works fine.  Am good mechanical, but bad electrically. Someone please help.

Randy

It would help if you would let us know the type of RV. Many have a 12 volt shut off switch that shuts off the 12 volt system from the rest of the RV. Have you looked for one yet?

I'm wondering if your  house battery (s) (not the engine battery) are most likely dead or don't have enough voltage.  Try plugging your trailer into an electrical outlet for at least 24 hours to give a good charge.  You didn't say if your generator started while hooked up to electric.

Also, there is often a 12 volt shut off, so if you were plugged into electricity and still have no 12 volt inside the RV, check for a "shut off" switch. 

Marsha~

Did you check the house batteries and know that they're good?  Also, as Tom says, look for a battery shutoff switch.

It would help if you would let us know the type of RV

Tom, the subject says "1985 Winnebago Chieftain" :)

Ned said:
Did you check the house batteries and know that they're good?  Also, as Tom says, look for a battery shutoff switch.

Tom, the subject says "1985 Winnebago Chieftain" :)

You expect me to be able to read at this early hour of the morning? ;D

Where would look for a shut off switch? Both batteries are fully charged. I cleaned the grounds, and charged the house battery to 100 % with my battery charger.

Sorta funny, TomS. I suggest you stay off the web until your reading skills are functioning. You are wasting valuable time and energy and memory space.    ::)

No offense intended.  Carson FL  96.8?

zimger67 said:
Where would look for a shut off switch? Both batteries are fully charged. I cleaned the grounds, and charged the house battery to 100 % with my battery charger.

It could be in the battery compartment (look for a round rotary switch) or there could be a rocker or toggle switch, probably just inside the entrance, that operates a solenoid to connect/disconnect the house batteries.  Hopefully someone that has or does own a similar vintage Chieftain will have more specific information.

carson said:
Sorta funny, TomS. I suggest you stay off the web until your reading skills are functioning. You are wasting valuable time and energy and memory space.    ::)

Senility is such a bitch.

My time is definitely not valuable. No one would hire me.

And I can't remember what happened to my memory. I left it somewhere.

Oh well, my motto is "No brains, no headaches".

Hey Tom,
Senility is such a bitch.

So true.... Just remember this: "Knowledge comes, but Wisdom lingers".  (Alfred Tennyson). old guy...

I am old but my wisdom is still growing, unless I am senile now..  Are you?

Such fun.... carson FL

carson said:
...unless I am senile now..  Are you?

I will have to figure out the definition of senile before I can answer that question. I think I used to know what it meant. Now if I can just find my dictionary...

My manual says there is a solid state isolator. The picture shows a square block with battery positive connected to each side, and two other wires for the generator and the ignition. What I see is a round metal solenoid looking piece with the battery positives connected to each side, with smaller wires connected also. I believe this is the problem part, and would like confirmation if possible. Also have both main manuals and several component manuals to repay any help furnished.

Randy

Found the problem. The large new NAPA battery was not holding a full charge. Replaced the silonoid and took the battery our to do this. Sat the battery on a concrete floor for two hours and when I put it back in it would not start the rv. Put it on my good charger and it would charge up to 70% and 13.5 volts. Take the charger off and check it at 1 hour later at 30%.  5.5 volts. Took the battery back to napa and got a new one. Now all works.

Thanks

The easiest things to check often turn out to find the problem.  I carry a load tester with me that will identify a bad battery quickly without removing anything other than one cable.  If the batteries test good, then it's time to start looking elsewhere.

Got the generator starting problem fixed. Now I do not have power to the microwave, AC , and control panel when running on the generator.

please help

Does your RV have an automatic transfer switch or do you have to plug the power cord in when running the generator?  Does any 120VAC outlet or device work when the generator is running?

Can start generator without ac power. Will start with 110 plugged in(plug in type). No power to any outlets or appliences.
Randy

You're saying you plug the shore power cord into an outlet for generator power and don't have a transfer switch?

Do the outlets and appliances have power when plugged into shore power?

I am saying that when I plug my rv into my house power 110 volt system, everything works. The generator starts(with the RV is pluged in or not)but none of the juice generted goes to the air conditioning or other appliances. I have power to the 12 volt DC  lights and pumps.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom