1985 winnebago chieftian elecrical problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You still didn't say if you had a transfer switch or not.  Did you check the breaker(s) on the generator as Tom suggested?

In all likelihood, you have tripped a circuit breaker on the generator itself. Second possibility is that a relay in the automatic transfer switch has failed. That's why Ned asks whether your power automatically switches from shore to genset, or if you have to physically plug the power cord into a generator outlet.

What make & model generator is it? We may be able to tell you where to look for the breaker on the generator - they can sometimes be well-hidden.

ORAN 4.0 RV GENSET
Model 450BFA1R72160200
Serial 1843825895

Letters are small(could have errors)

See if your generator looks like this one - an Onan Microlite 4000. That's a newer model than yours, but the circuit breaker may be in a similar location (by the start/stop switch).

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/Common/pdf/manuals/981-0159D.pdf

If not, look for it somewhere on the generator.  May be on a side rather than right out front.

Looked everywhere. I have an inside breaker that controls the appliances, but it is reset and on. There has to be a disconnect that is open from the generator to this breaker box. My generator sits in an opening on the side of my RV, right next to the door. The manual drawing shows a 120 amp Isolator and a 80 amp circuit breaker coming from the generator. Instead of this, a soleiod connects to the positive side of each battery, that connects to the generator.

If this makes any sence please reply

Randy

The wires from the battery to the solenoid and generator are 12VDC and not part of the 120VAC output.  You still haven't told us if you have a transfer switch or manually plug the power cord into the generator.

It's likely that the transfer switch has failed.  You should hear it switch a short time after the generator is started if it's working.  But even if you hear it switch, it still could have a bad relay or wiring.  If you are comfortable around 120VAC, you can remove the cover from the transfer switch and use a voltmeter to check on its operation.  If you're not experienced in working with electricity, then you need an electrician to help you diagnose it.

I have the same make and year Motor home.  I really think you have to take the power cord and plug it into the special outlet that is located in the same place where the cord comes out of.

Beginning to think something is wrong with the generator output. With it running there is no 120 voltage at the breakers. Only 12 volts. The contact is not closing and when pushed closed nothing happens. Will knick/meter some out-put wires to see if anything is there.

Randy

Checked the generator output with it running at 12.5 volts. should this not be 120volts?

If you're measuring 12VDC you're on the wrong wires.  What contact are you pushing?  Some pictures of what you're doing would help us understand better.

Bless you! I know others have been trying to tell me the same thing you did, but only a fellow winnebago owner of the same year and model,  would know of the special outlet that completes the circuit. A special thanks to you and all others trying to help

Then you don't have an automatic transfer switch.  That was what I asked you at the start.  Glad you found out the solution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SPK550
Back
Top Bottom