Guitars and WD-40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
seilerbird said:
I don't believe in changing strings until I have a real good reason. My current strings are at least three years old. The WD-40 keeps them just like new. Plus I wash my hands before I play and wipe down the entire guitar with a microfiber cloth when I am done playing. No, I don't use WD on the fretboard, only on the metal parts. Some WD will end up on the fretboard but it has never hurt a fretboard yet.

It is my experience that some people's skin is more corrosive than other people's.  I have a corrosive skin, and combined with my abrasive personality, I can really wear things thin.

I am a drummer, and the same thing happens to mylar drum heads...they just die and get funky overtones and no response.  I prefer cloth or kevlar as they tend to retain their tone and response longer.  Sticks too...a quick tap on the node can tell you if they are still alive, and playing with a dead stick is like fishing with a wet noodle...just doesn't feel right.

Now I know why I can't play my instruments. I have a cheapy guitar, a Wald Zither and a "What is it" a deep body string instrument...looks like a pregnant small guitar.

Maybe I should soak them in WD-40 for a while and see if my playing skills will improve. Never had any lessons in my life and playing by ear is the pits. My friends think so when I try to play.  ;D 8)

Right now they are all ornamental items on top of ledges around the rooms. ..catching dust.  :(

Carson FL

Next time I am in Florida I will be happy to give you some lessons. I can teach you Blackbird by the Beatles in a few hours.

Thanks, Tom.. All my strings are over 30 years old, but sound good to me. Twang squeak etc...

Not for the faint of heart.

carson

This is priceless. Who needs Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien? I have you guys.      ;D

oldwasichu said:
This is priceless. Who needs Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien? I have you guys.      ;D

And I am much better looking than either one of them. ;D

Tom,

I noticed you are an avid hiker. We are headed out to the Cloud Peak Wilderness area of Wyoming in about 2 weeks. I'd like to take my boys out for a half day hike. If you've been there, anything you'd recommend? Thanks.

Dave

I have Tom beat on not changing strings, a friend gave me his old Hondo star shaped guitar, I cut it up and fitted it into a cigar box. I think that the strings from 1984 sound perfect!!
Of course I have don't have much of an ear for music and can't seem to get the hang of counting etc.
but because I built it I will learn to play it...may take awhile

oldwasichu said:
Tom,

I noticed you are an avid hiker. We are headed out to the Cloud Peak Wilderness area of Wyoming in about 2 weeks. I'd like to take my boys out for a half day hike. If you've been there, anything you'd recommend? Thanks.

Dave

Yep, I am an avid hiker but I have to admit that I have not even heard of Cloud Peak Wilderness area, much less hiked there. You will be very close to one of my all time favorite National Park hikes, the Swan Lake trail at Grand Teton National Park. It comes in number 7 in my top ten hikes of the National Parks.

1275gtsport said:
I have Tom beat on not changing strings, a friend gave me his old Hondo star shaped guitar, I cut it up and fitted it into a cigar box. I think that the strings from 1984 sound perfect!!
Of course I have don't have much of an ear for music and can't seem to get the hang of counting etc.
but because I built it I will learn to play it...may take awhile

Well you see you beat me because I do an awful lot of string bending and even though I have my guitar set up so it doesn't break strings, I still eventually will break one and then I will have to break down and get a new set.

My high school music teacher, Earl Jardine, had a favorite saying. "Anyone who can count to four can become a musician." So look around online for a counting course and see if you can learn how to count to four. But you have to do it in English ;D

geodrake said:
So, you can also bath in WD-40?

Actually, it works pretty well for getting the crud off your hands if you've just conducted a roadside repair involving, say, bearings, roller chain, or gear oil.

Jammer said:
Actually, it works pretty well for getting the crud off your hands if you've just conducted a roadside repair involving, say, bearings, roller chain, or gear oil.

And women go crazy because of the smell. I have them follow me home and knock on my door and beg when I wear it out in public like a cologne.

Well, now we know why Tom is so slippery!  Perhaps he should change his handle from seilerbird to SLICK.

Gottasmilealot said:
Instrument string are metal. Metal fatigues. But, whatever works for you.  Life is good.

Actually you probably could wear out a wire if you used it long enough. I just never have been able to wear one out myself on a guitar. One of the things I do when I install a new set of strings is to spend a lot of time pre-stretching each string after I install it on the guitar. At least 5 minutes per string. This keeps the string from stretching very much more as they get older.

seilerbird said:
And women go crazy because of the smell. I have them follow me home and knock on my door and beg when I wear it out in public like a cologne.

This explains your great success with the fairer sex...perhaps this should go on the list of things WD40 does...now if it could only end world hunger, stop wars, cure cancer, and give me the winning lottery numbers...

Luca1369 said:
This explains your great success with the fairer sex...perhaps this should go on the list of things WD40 does...now if it could only end world hunger, stop wars, cure cancer, and give me the winning lottery numbers...

If you want the winning lottery number just listen to Stairway to Heaven backwards in headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom