EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Guitars and WD-40  (Read 36134 times)

seilerbird

Re: Guitars and WD-40
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2010, 10:33:40 AM »
The guy is best known for a two and a half minute solo in "Inna Gadda da Vida" and you mention him in the same sentence as Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa?  What kind of drugs were you doing back then?

Can't I have an opinion that is different than yours? It just blows me away. This is suppose to be the friendliest RV site but if I express an opinion that someone disagrees with then they become nasty. There is no reason to insult me because I like Ron Bushy better than Rich and Krupa. Rich and Krupa were great technical drummers but they bore me to death. Bushy had feeling like those two never had. Just like Ringo. One of the greatest drummers of all times but technically not very good. I prefer to listen to drummers with feeling, not technical chops. And I never did any drugs in the 60s.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:38:09 AM by seilerbird »

Mc2guy

• ---
  • Whoso would be a man
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2010, 10:59:48 AM »
Can't I have an opinion that is different than yours? It just blows me away. This is suppose to be the friendliest RV site but if I express an opinion that someone disagrees with then they become nasty. There is no reason to insult me because I like Ron Bushy better than Rich and Krupa. Rich and Krupa were great technical drummers but they bore me to death. Bushy had feeling like those two never had. Just like Ringo. One of the greatest drummers of all times but technically not very good. I prefer to listen to drummers with feeling, not technical chops. And I never did any drugs in the 60s.

No one was being Nasty Tom, Luca was just poking at you in jest (It's pretty easy if you haven't figured that out).  Personally, as a drummer, I can't stand to listen to a single "rock'n'roll" drummer from the 60's.  They all stink, technically speaking, and no amount of "feel" is going to make up for bad technique.    ;D

Get chops first, then feel/texture will follow.  Ringo, btw, is the most overrated drummer I've ever heard/seen/or known about.  He was born under a lucky star to get hitched with two of the greatest songwriters of all time.  He doesn't just lack technical chops, he has no sense of timing.  We used to call him "blitzkrieg" in high-school, because even then we could hear that he was always "rushing in".

So there's an opinion to to chew on... ;)
Christian, Jenn, Holden, Emerson, and Fletcher
2015 Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J (SOLD)

seilerbird

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »
Rock and roll has never been about technique, it is all about feeling and attitude.

What kind of drugs were you doing back then?

I don't see anything funny about that remark and I sure didn't see a smiling happy face after it. It is pure nasty.

Luca1369

• ---
    • Seaworthy.com, Your Bahamas and Caribbean Cruising Advisory
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »
Ease up Tom.  I did not become nasty nor were my comments meant as an insult.  My comment about drugs was meant as a joke because I can't see someone, especially a drummer, comparing Bushy to Rich. 

We have different opinions, mine is that Ron Bushy is not that great a drummer, feeling or not.  I suspect it has a lot to do with one's definition of a "good" or "great" drummer. Lots of musicians play with feeling but lack the technical skills to express themselves to a greater degree, and expression is key to a musician. 

A few weeks ago, on some late night TV program, I saw a guy do an impersonation of different drummers.  He did Keith Moon, Ringo, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, and he had each one of their styles nailed.

And as for differing opinions, I have that right as well.  Sorry if you did not appreciate my attempt at humor, but a bad joke is all that I can be called out for.  We should be able to discuss things without going overboard.

I don't use smiley faces either, are they required for explaining my typed words?  I also did not do drugs in the 60s, the first half of the 70s however... :o
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:23:32 AM by Luca1369 »
Steve
1990 Fleetwood Southwind 36'
http://seaworthy.com

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
Robert Louis Stevenson

A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2010, 11:21:55 AM »
Ringo, btw, is the most overrated drummer I've ever heard/seen/or known about.  He was born under a lucky star to get hitched with two of the greatest songwriters of all time.  He doesn't just lack technical chops, he has no sense of timing.  We used to call him "blitzkrieg" in high-school, because even then we could hear that he was always "rushing in".

And what a great singing voice he has.
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »
And yet, Ringo will be the last surviving Beatle.  Just wait. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Johncmr

• ---
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2010, 12:31:23 PM »
Well, Ringo was a reasonably good station master for Thomas the Tank Engine.  I dunno, you gotta love a guy who forgets the words to his own song in a concert.  Hey - I could do that!  I have memory problems, and by the way, I have memory problems.

I am fascinated to see the passion some have about their favorite musicians.  Nothing like a good forum website to people watch!

johncmr

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2010, 08:02:48 AM »
This drummer gets my vote. Style, temperament, technique and charisma. Is he playing music?

carson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DVbt5W-DNc

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:29 AM »
Thanks for the post Carson, but I think that video link was already posted in this thread.  Yes, this drummer has a certain style about him.  I think you can find his website by checking his other You Tube videos.  I forget his name, but he has been a hard rock drummer for a number of years.
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Mike (ex-f-221)

• ---
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »
Speaking of playing the guitar and the drums: In this video from 1:20 on the drummer seems to be chased by Les. Poor little drummer boy...:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4E8OrHAMa4
Mike Muellner
Bremerhaven, Germany

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »
Hi, Mike...nice to see you on the air..

Don't stay away so long.

The YouTube clip is not working too well over here, the other side of the World.  Very slow. I wonder if I am the only one to notice that...I am on a fast connection.

Hope you and your family are well.

Carson FL
Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Mike (ex-f-221)

• ---
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2010, 04:25:25 PM »
Carson,
nearly every day I am in the RV Forum (since nearly four years). But most of the times I don't have to say anything. Others did before - and they really know it better.
- Try the clip a few hours later. Youtube sometimes delivers quick, sometimes very slow. I tried it this moment and received it with up to 2000 kbit/sec.
- Family is OK. Our younger son is now Staff Sergeant as you would call him in the US Army. Now he is the backbone of the army just as his daddy was years ago as a Chief Petty Officer. But he as a Army man has dirty feet which I never had as a Navy man ;D
Mike Muellner
Bremerhaven, Germany

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2010, 05:41:27 PM »
Thank you, Mike for that info. I appreciate  it.

carson

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »
Speaking of playing the guitar and the drums: In this video from 1:20 on the drummer seems to be chased by Les. Poor little drummer boy...:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4E8OrHAMa4

Wow, what a great video!  Les Paul shredding!  Interesting guitar setup he's got too!  Thanks for the link.
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2010, 09:32:34 AM »
A guitarist changes their strings as they see fit.  Some change them every gig, some every week, some every month, and once in a while you run across someone like you who's going for some kind of record.
Three years is no kind of record. The strings on my Takamini 12 string are over 10 years old, and on my Yamaha 6 string are even older. Of course I don't play much, and I'm aware I should get new strings (I have a few -- not a full set), but it's not been worth it so far -- perhaps if I start jamming with folks again (it's been years...).
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

itsmikeagain

• ---
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
the thing i find funny about this thread is how it started out about guitars and ends up on drummers...man those drummers are always seeking attention and want to make it about them..... ;D

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »
the thing i find funny about this thread is how it started out about guitars and ends up on drummers...man those drummers are always seeking attention and want to make it about them..... ;D

It's also about WD40.  Do drummers use WD40?  Perhaps on their cymbals or pedals, maybe even their little stools?
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Johncmr

• ---
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2010, 03:53:10 PM »
Do not use WD-40 on your eggs, at least on a gas stove.  I guess it did make 'em come off the ceiling easier.

Mc2guy

• ---
  • Whoso would be a man
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2010, 01:23:39 PM »
It's also about WD40.  Do drummers use WD40?  Perhaps on their cymbals or pedals, maybe even their little stools?

Generally oils/solvents of any kind are REALLY bad to have around drum heads, especially natural, cloth, or paper heads.  In high school we used Vaseline on the threads of our casings (the screws that tighten the hoop and pull a head against the shell of the drum).  Now I would use something synthetic with no petroleum oils in it.

I'm not a kit player, so no stools for me.  Unfortunately now my back is shot from running around with a marching drum strapped to my shoulders for 8 years!
Christian, Jenn, Holden, Emerson, and Fletcher
2015 Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J (SOLD)

itsmikeagain

• ---
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2010, 12:35:11 PM »
well i am one notch above or below a drummer depending on who you are :o....yea thats right, i'm the acoustic rhythm guitar guy ::)

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:02 AM »
acoustic rhythm guitar, always welcome at my jams.  Drums, sax, accordian, not so much.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

itsmikeagain

• ---
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2010, 09:36:07 AM »
great!!! can i bring my kazoo?

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2010, 07:45:03 PM »
You are more than welcome to bring it. 

So long as you don't play it.   ;D
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jammer

• ---
  • Moar Aluminuminum!
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2010, 12:45:11 AM »
Well, gang, I have two fiddles and a guitar and a can of WD-40 in my rig and am gearing up for 5 stage shows a day plus street performances, every weekend, jam session Saturday night, worship service Sunday morning.  I have some extra E strings for the fiddle, some extra E strings for the guitar, and am kinda hoping I'm not going to need the WD-40.
2004 Suburban 2500 4wd 8.1 / 2010 Airstream Classic 30' /
1997 K2500 regular cab long bed pickup / 1971 Cayo C-11

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2010, 07:52:44 AM »
Why are you so hard on E strings??>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »
How are you fixed for G strings, Dan?
George Drake

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »
Guitars are prone to snapping the high E, on the dobro never have trouble with an E.

I do have 2 G strings however.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

itsmikeagain

• ---
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2010, 10:01:55 AM »
slighty warped neck OR depending on where they break it could be a small bur in the tuner.....nonetheless, i'll back you up with my 12 string anytime you need it....or my mandolin, or my 6 string banjo or better yet my kazoo!

Johncmr

• ---
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »
Great to know this forum has so many pickers. 
I'd like to invite you to a Bluegrass event we've had for 31 years.  It's Memorial Day weekend every year and is held at the Pegasus Campground in Elkins WV.  Some stage shows, but 90% of the music is around the campfires - many times the best kind.  Pegasus is a great, smaller campground run by and for musical types, the Elkins valley is down-right beautiful, and hiking, nature and mountain life are all around.  They have a nice web-site, but I never figured out how to post a link.

Maybe a little WD-40 on my little finger will let me get to 4th fret C# so I can hit a decent C#m chord!

johncmr

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
Okay, this is the weirdest thread I've seen in a long time.  WD-40 is mostly kerosene (lots of oil).  And oil is one thing you want to keep away from guitar strings and guitars in general.  None of this makes any sense.

And agree with Johncmr: the C#m chord (and its derivatives, like Bm) are among the uglier chords to play on the guitar, but oh do they sound pretty if played cleanly and well.

Hosted by Over The Network