Guitars and WD-40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
geodrake said:
Tom (seilerbird), do you use WD-40 on your camera?

I don't own a camera right now. I will be buying one on payday next week. I have never used WD-40 on a camera, but I wouldn't hesitate if I had a problem that WD-40 could solve. I never keep a camera longer than a year so it never gets rusty.

Carl L said:
And then there was the Master -- Krupa.  Listen to him on this audio only U-tube cut of Sing, Sing, Sing.

Carl

Better yet, listen to him on the Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert LPs. 2nd choice is the CD version. I've got both 8)

Luca1369 said:
For my money Krupa is definitely a great drummer, but Buddy Rich is tops.  Check out this video of a drum battle between the two, Buddy Rich blows Gene Krupa away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5B7yqDYbA

Buddy Rich was by far the better drummer technically.  Krupa was more about style.  I love 'em both, but neither could hold a candle to many modern jazz studio musicians.  The quality of instruction at universities and conservatories is light-years beyond yesteryear, and you would be shocked at the virtuosity of many young musicians graduating U.S. music schools nowadays. 

This is video of my friend from school Nate Smith.  He is but one example of the youth movement in explicit jazz/fusion drumming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=9eNgBt76qZY&feature=related
edit: fixed link.

Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa were great drummers, but no one can hold a candle to Ron Bushy.

Mc2guy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=9eNgBt76qZY&feature=related

There's something wrong with this link but cutting and pasting works well.

seilerbird said:
Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa were great drummers, but no one can hold a candle to Ron Bushy.

The guy is best known for a two and a half minute solo in "Inna Gadda da Vida" and you mention him in the same sentence as Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa?  What kind of drugs were you doing back then?

Luca1369 said:
The guy is best known for a two and a half minute solo in "Inna Gadda da Vida" and you mention him in the same sentence as Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa?  What kind of drugs were you doing back then?

Can't I have an opinion that is different than yours? It just blows me away. This is suppose to be the friendliest RV site but if I express an opinion that someone disagrees with then they become nasty. There is no reason to insult me because I like Ron Bushy better than Rich and Krupa. Rich and Krupa were great technical drummers but they bore me to death. Bushy had feeling like those two never had. Just like Ringo. One of the greatest drummers of all times but technically not very good. I prefer to listen to drummers with feeling, not technical chops. And I never did any drugs in the 60s.

seilerbird said:
Can't I have an opinion that is different than yours? It just blows me away. This is suppose to be the friendliest RV site but if I express an opinion that someone disagrees with then they become nasty. There is no reason to insult me because I like Ron Bushy better than Rich and Krupa. Rich and Krupa were great technical drummers but they bore me to death. Bushy had feeling like those two never had. Just like Ringo. One of the greatest drummers of all times but technically not very good. I prefer to listen to drummers with feeling, not technical chops. And I never did any drugs in the 60s.

No one was being Nasty Tom, Luca was just poking at you in jest (It's pretty easy if you haven't figured that out).  Personally, as a drummer, I can't stand to listen to a single "rock'n'roll" drummer from the 60's.  They all stink, technically speaking, and no amount of "feel" is going to make up for bad technique.    ;D

Get chops first, then feel/texture will follow.  Ringo, btw, is the most overrated drummer I've ever heard/seen/or known about.  He was born under a lucky star to get hitched with two of the greatest songwriters of all time.  He doesn't just lack technical chops, he has no sense of timing.  We used to call him "blitzkrieg" in high-school, because even then we could hear that he was always "rushing in".

So there's an opinion to to chew on... ;)

Rock and roll has never been about technique, it is all about feeling and attitude.

What kind of drugs were you doing back then?

I don't see anything funny about that remark and I sure didn't see a smiling happy face after it. It is pure nasty.

Ease up Tom.  I did not become nasty nor were my comments meant as an insult.  My comment about drugs was meant as a joke because I can't see someone, especially a drummer, comparing Bushy to Rich. 

We have different opinions, mine is that Ron Bushy is not that great a drummer, feeling or not.  I suspect it has a lot to do with one's definition of a "good" or "great" drummer. Lots of musicians play with feeling but lack the technical skills to express themselves to a greater degree, and expression is key to a musician. 

A few weeks ago, on some late night TV program, I saw a guy do an impersonation of different drummers.  He did Keith Moon, Ringo, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, and he had each one of their styles nailed.

And as for differing opinions, I have that right as well.  Sorry if you did not appreciate my attempt at humor, but a bad joke is all that I can be called out for.  We should be able to discuss things without going overboard.

I don't use smiley faces either, are they required for explaining my typed words?  I also did not do drugs in the 60s, the first half of the 70s however... :eek:

Mc2guy said:
Ringo, btw, is the most overrated drummer I've ever heard/seen/or known about.  He was born under a lucky star to get hitched with two of the greatest songwriters of all time.  He doesn't just lack technical chops, he has no sense of timing.  We used to call him "blitzkrieg" in high-school, because even then we could hear that he was always "rushing in".

And what a great singing voice he has.

Well, Ringo was a reasonably good station master for Thomas the Tank Engine.  I dunno, you gotta love a guy who forgets the words to his own song in a concert.  Hey - I could do that!  I have memory problems, and by the way, I have memory problems.

I am fascinated to see the passion some have about their favorite musicians.  Nothing like a good forum website to people watch!

johncmr

Thanks for the post Carson, but I think that video link was already posted in this thread.  Yes, this drummer has a certain style about him.  I think you can find his website by checking his other You Tube videos.  I forget his name, but he has been a hard rock drummer for a number of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom