Dash Gauges Flickering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Getting Old

Called Winnebago about my dash gauges flickering and there response was to "Call Freightliner" which I did, could be the MMDC
wiring which might be loose.  Where is it, we put it on the frame rail, but the box maker puts it where they want.  Hey Winnebago where do you put the MMDC on a 2005 Horizon, somewhere under the dash.  The question being does any one know first of all what it looks like and second I need a hint on where to look.  Under the dash  appears to be a barrel of snakes, not a good place for a fat old man.

Don, WIT 70041

If I ever knew where it was located, I forgot  ::)  Call Freightliner with your VIN and they can tell you.  The dash area (driver's position area) is fairly easy to access.

It is located in the 12 volt electrical bin, outside under driver's seat. You can locate it by finding the blue and red air hoses going to it. I can't remember anymore but may have to open the hinged panel inside the bin to get to it by removing 3 screws.

Are all the gauges flickering or only the air pressure ones.  IF all, bad news if it is not the connector as the unit is about $500.  If only the air pressure, get back to me privately and I may be able to help you avoid uying a new unit.

Jim and Harry, good info, did find the box where you said unfortunately the only gauges that works properly are the air pressure and tranny temp.  My next problem is to find a competent Freightliner dealer. You would think that in the country's 10th largest city there would be one, but no luck.  Maybe at the FMCA Rally in Redmon I can get some help.  Many thanks.

Don, WIT 70041
You can't fix stupid, but you can vote them out!

My next problem is to find a competent Freightliner dealer. You would  think that in the country's 10th largest city there would be one, but no  luck

I give up, which is the country's 10 largest city? Once we have that figured out, then I would suggest trying to find the nearest Freightliner Oasis dealer, most of them are pretty good with RVs, the rest are a crap shoot. If there are no Oasis dealerships convenient, someone might have a local recommendation for you if they knew where. You might also see if there is a Cummins Coach Care facility nearby. Some, but not all, are pretty good at servicing.

Both Winnebago and Freightliner should have service people at Redmond. Will we see you there? We're entering Monday morning, the 9th.

Live next door to San Jose, Ca as in "Do You Know The Way" often time called the Silicon Valley.  The two I have dealt with in the past are in Oakland, not a pleasant place to visit and in French Camp, near Stockton a very sorry experience.

Don WIT 70041
You can't fix stupid, but you can vote them out !!!

There are truck shops in/around the valley. Check your yellow pages. Alternatively, try Sacramento Truck.

Just an FYI before you go out and spend a bunch of money.  The term "MMDC" refers to the type of dash system that you have, not necessarily a specific part. The initials stand for "Multiple Module Dash Control".  Before you go out and pay someone over $100 bucks an hour, try this (I learned this at the Gaffney Freightliner school a couple years ago).  Pull the back of the dash off to reveal the back of your dash gauges.  You will see a bunch of wires with two running to each gauge. Remove the wires from each one and check that it has made good contact. If you can, brush or sandpaper the contacts.  Slip them back on see if that helps the problem.  Now here is the cool part. 

The MMDC dash works with a single brain that sends the signal to each gauge. Each gauge has a separate signal that only works on that specific gauge. What that means is that you could pull all the wires off the gauges at one time, and IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE THEY GO BACK TO.  Yep, you can't mess up the gauge wiring because no matter which gauge wire you use, the gauge won't respond until it see's it's own personal signal.  I used to have that dash on my 06' Meridian.  I tested it out and it's true.

So flickering may be the brain going out, or you may just have a loose wire. Either way you can check it out without fear of mixing up the dash gauge wiring. 

Sarge

Thanks Sarge, very good info will try and get my old beat up body in a position to get it done.  By the way they used to call me the "Old Sarge". Over 30 years of picking up garbage, if you know what I mean.  X 288 Investigator.

I have the same issue with the dash lights flickering. (2002 Ultimate advantage) I called Winnebago and they told me to contact Spartan.  When I described the issue and dash layout, they seemed to think it was a Winnebago mod and didn't really have any suggestions.  On my dash I have a headlight push/pull switch and a separate dimmer control for the dash lights.  It is an electronic dimmer module as opposed to the rheostat style.  After a lot of testing (grounds, connections etc.) I disconnected the dimmer switch and bypassed it.  The flicker was no longer present ( when in full bright on switch I had system voltage on load side of switch - 14.2 v)  So my suggestion would be to check this switch if yours is equipped with one.  The new switch is approx $90 

Went to Sacramento Freightliner and for $700.00, yes, seven hundred dollars they were able to find a $12.00 part that had malfunctioned.  Have never been able to determine if it was poor engineering that made it so difficult to find or lack of experience with the product.  Because the "Jake" brake is hooked into the same system I fried my brakes coming down hill in the Sierras.  Made for a quiet Christmas.

Don, WIT 70041

Don,

I was wondering since I have a similar issue, what was that $12..00 part?

Thanks,

Tony
06 Vectra

My guages periodically will not come on but she runs and drives just the same. I traced it to a FORD relay..1 of 6..that were installed in the front under a cover next to the fuse panel. one tap on the relay and they are back on. Yours may be wired differently than mine, I have changes relays and taken the panel apart but it still happens. My problem has to be a sloppy terminal at the relay plug., Here's to hoping that it your problem too.  BTW my relay is a $12 part.

Back
Top Bottom