Sever weather in Milwaukee tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Southern WI has been hit with severe thunderstorms and heavy rain all evening.  Here in Oak Creek we've had over 4" of rain and more still on the way.  We have a river running down the street in front of us and some trailers and park models to the north of us will have some water damage.  We're on high enough ground that it shouldn't cause us any problems but the entire area is suffering heavy flooding.  A sinkhole opened up on the north side of Milwaukee and swallowed a van.  The freeways are all but closed due to flooding.  Tornado watch until 0200 but that won't affect us, I hope.

If any of you have family or friends in SE WI you might want to give them a call and see how they're doing.

Of course, our satellite connection is offline but the Droid is giving me a fast connection in the interim.

Tom,

So far we are safe but there is another band coming.  The water on our street has gone down a little.  On the north side of Milwaukee they had 7 1/2" of rain in 2 1/2 hrs.  The area around WTMJ-TV station had 8" of rain. Two people were hit by lightning but haven't heard if they survived but that it was bad.  Lots of streets flooded and many basements are flooded.  Mitchell International Airport is closed until further notice.

From this mornings radar, there is more coming all day today.  Hopefully, not as heavy as last night.  The band of rain extends from Iowa across southern WI and northern IL and nearly across Lake Michigan.  This is more rain than WI has seen in quite awhile.

Several of the mobile homes down the street have damaged or missing skirting from the water pressure.  I expect some of the trailers will have damage as well.  I'm not going to walk down and look as it's still raining.  Sure glad we're on the (relatively) high ground.

The police came by at midnight to check on everyone and said they would be back if we needed to evacuate.  Fortunately, it didn't come to that.

The local paper has details on their web site along with photos.

Thanks, Dave.  It's been hot and humid here too on top of the rain.  The A/C has been running for about 2 weeks and it's supposed to get to 90F again today.  Hot, humid and rain, feels more like Florida than Wisconsin :)

Ned, we're heading to Mackinac from Louisville, by way of Oconto County (outside Green Bay) next week.  Would appreciate it if you could have this weather problem cleared up by then. 8)

Bob & Sue

Bob & Sue,
You should be Ok, as Ned keep sending it to the Southern end of Michigan. We've had the same weather. The wind hit us about 2 am last night. With more to come today. At 9 am this morning, the temp was 80 with 100% humidity.

Barb,
Are you and Frank ok?  Stay safe.  Unfortunately there is more coming our way and then to your area.

Thanks Barb.  Even with the 100% humidity, I'm camped with a bunch of folks who would pay big money for 80 degree temps here.  TWC reports today's heat index will be near 110 degrees in Louisville.

Barb said:
You should be Ok, as Ned keep sending it to the Southern end of Michigan. 

Don't do us any favors, we've had enough for one year............21 Tornadoes and counting.  :(

Saw some TV footage this morning. Lots of flooding.

Flooding and the usual idiots that drive into flooded streets and get washed away.  One driver drove on the grass to avoid the flooded street and got washed into a creek that was almost as deep as the car.  I don't think the driver got out either.  WI drivers are better on snow and ice than in water :(

I was shaking my head as I saw some of the cars driving in the flooded streets.

You guys all stay safe. We're happy with the rain we've had the last 2 days even if it did make it a bit humid (ok, 50% humidity doesn't sound like much to some of you but it's a lot in SW Colorado !). 3 more days of storms here than one clearday then more storms - monsoon season has arrived ! Are these the same storms hitting you?

Wendy

Wendy, no, our storms are originating out of Iowa.  We wish we had only 50% humidity.

Being a weather geek, is a record report from the storms.

07/23/2010 1000 am

3 miles se of Milwaukee tim, Milwaukee County.

Heavy rain m7.90 inch, reported by public.

25 hr rainfall total

That sounds about right.  Milwaukee tim is Timmerman Field?

Back
Top Bottom