Dirtbikes and ATVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

We trailer the toys behind a 35' MH and are having a heck of a time finding places to ride our dirtbikes and quads. We're on the west coast, so there are LOTS of regulations in CA and Oregon. We've stayed at Lone Pine (near Mt. Whitney) and Anza Borrego but are always searching for somewhere else that can accommodate a large MH.  Any tips??

google "adventure riders forum" ... IIRC the url is www.advriders.com

there are lots of places to ride discussed on that forum.  There are many others as well.

You are right though, everyday more roads get closed to motorcycles. 

Please keep your stock exhaust stock.  That's the #1 reason people give for banning motorcycles, the noise.

It doesn't have to be that way.

taoshum said:
Please keep your stock exhaust stock.  That's the #1 reason people give for banning motorcycles, the noise.

I think the main reason for banning off road activities is the massive environmental damage they cause, of which noise is only one component.

seilerbird said:
I think the main reason for banning off road activities is the massive environmental damage they cause, of which noise is only one component.

That's a very popular phrase.  Lots of environmentalists feel the same way about motorhomes.  The data to support such conclusions is mostly anecdotal.

The forest trails in our area would get zero maintenance if it were not for the trail riders.  Hiker's don't do maintenance; Equestrians don't do maintenance; the Forest Service doesn't do maintenance and mountain bike riders don't do maintenance.  The trails would disappear in a decade, then no one would have any access.  Maybe that's what we  want, I don't know.  The National Parks, for the most part, are so crowded that the trails get some maintenance but there's only 2.5 million people in our entire state concentrated in the metro areas.  Our county is larger than some states and has 30,000 people.  The ratio of paved to unpaved roads is about 5% so 4WD and ATVs and bikes are very popular (and necessary) ways to get around. 

I would think that the "environmental damage" caused by the burning of hydrocarbon fuel for transportation, which is about 50% of all the fuel consumed in the US, would qualify for the term "massive".  If all of the vehicles operating on unpaved roads/trails were suddenly eliminated, the fuel consumption in the US wouldn't change more than 0.1%.  If all the motorhomes were suddenly eliminated, the fuel consumption in the US wouldn't change much either.  If all the SOV daily commuting were eliminated, the fuel consumption would decline about 20%.  So it's really the passenger cars/trucks that are primarily responsible for environmental damage.  OHVs are a convenient and noisy target but I'll wager that there is more environmental damage created by the energy expended trying to eliminate them than caused by them.  Oh well.

In a few decades, I doubt it will even get discussed.

Wow..this could be a can of worms, eh? We actually don't like noise of loud dirt bikes either and absolutely keep all parts stock. Thanks for the tip on "adventure riders". I'll check it out. As far as environmental damage, I'd say dirt bikers for the most part are very earth-friendly people. All our friends always stick to the trails, don't do anything crazy and are polite and respectful. Very family-friendly people, too. I agree that to really help out the environment we need to do something about the single commuters. I'd love to see more effort go into carpools, mass transit, etc. We have a hybrid and the (30 mpg) Honda Toad, so I don't feel the least bit guilty driving the MH or dirtbikes.
Respectfully,
Sara :)

I am not talking about hydrocarbon emissions. I am talking about damage to the ecosystems. Plants killed, animals killed, habitats destroyed. I am not saying that RVers are any better, I am just saying that is the rationalization used by the people who make the laws.

Have you tried Glamis, Hungry Valley, and the Barstow areas? I have to admit, I love the noise. Loud Harley's :D, yes, screaming bored and stroked beasts, yes. The Laughlin River Run would be very dull with a bunch of muffled trikes. You should hear my Vette, Flowmasters exhaust, no muffs, sweeeeet! ;D
Even my RV is glasspacked. The carbon footprint of an RV is not pretty.
J

34footer said:
. The carbon footprint of an RV is not pretty.
J
What a bogus statement.

I am a full timer and my carbon footprint is much lower than the carbon footprint of anyone who lives in a normal house.

When an RVer goes on vacation the carbon footprint of his RV is considerably lower than if he would have stayed home.

seilerbird said:
What a bogus statement.

I am a full timer and my carbon footprint is much lower than the carbon footprint of anyone who lives in a normal house.

When an RVer goes on vacation the carbon footprint of his RV is considerably lower than if he would have stayed home.

That is what non RV'ers think of when they see a MH. Gas, gas, gas, they don't look at the full picture. You have high profile stars driving the Prius to make a statement that they are GREEN and pull up to a 10,000 square foot "house".
And the CFP of an RV is not pretty, I bet even covered wagon travel was damaging. Where did the human waste go?
J

34footer said:
That is what non RV'ers think of when they see a MH. Gas, gas, gas, they don't look at the full picture. You have high profile stars driving the Prius to make a statement that they are GREEN and pull up to a 10,000 square foot "house".
And the CFP of an RV is not pretty, I bet even covered wagon travel was damaging. Where did the human waste go?
J

And where did the waste from the horses go.

Periodically when I am filling up on gas I have some smart alec on a motorcycle filling up near me and he comes over and sarcastically says "How much does it cost to fill that thing up?" My reply is "Oh about $200. I live in this thing full time and that makes it about $1000 per month less than paying a mortgage and filling up my gas tank." End of conversation.

I read somewhere that the average American uses 120 gallons a day in water. I use about 40 gallons a week. And since I live in the southwest that is extremely important. All those who live in a stick and brick and draining the water table at an unbelievable rate. I may use more gas than a normal car, but I manufacture all of my own electricity while I am driving. I never hook up to the grid.

Try riderplanet.com for info on ATV/Dirtbike Parks and trails near you.  They also specify camping areas as well.  Decent site and my advice is to always call first before heading to any park/trail to make sure you get up to date info. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom