Gunnison Co Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rancher Will

Just returned from  a week camping at Gunnison Lakeside Campground at Blue Mesa Lake 8 miles West of Gunnison, CO on US 50, North side of lake. Cattlemens Days celebration every year the third week in July. Blue Mesa lake is the largest lake in Colorado with great fishing, water skiing, etc. There are numerous campgrounds in Gunnison area including National Park and Private. Most of the National Park Campgrounds do not have 50 amp service but plenty of spaces. Gunnison Lakeside Campground has 50 amp, full service, shaded sites, general store, propane, picnic area, guided fishing, extra boat parking, clean showers, etc. Accepts Passport America ($12 per night up to 3 nights), optional cash discount,  plus weekly rate for additional days beyond the first three days. (We stayed 6 nights for $105.) There are so many big Mackinaw Trout that the Game and Fish Department has no limits this year. Later this fall there will be no limit on Kokanee Salmon during their spawning period (as every year).

Did you get to fish the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? 

It used to be catch and release for the salmon.  Is that changed for this year?

We did not fish the Black Canyon.We fished for about an hour and caught 6 nice trout in Blue Mesa Lake-one was about 8 pounds. We actually spend most of our days at the Cattlemens Days celebrations and rodeos. Since we did not take a boat with us, we fished from the shore. Gunnison Lakeside RV Park does have boats available and even guided fishing fish desired.

Thanks for the reports on places in Colorado!  I'm writing them down in my book for a future trip to Colorado when I retire...

Hey, Frank, be sure to add Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP to your list. One campground loop has electric hookups. And Curecanti NRA (Blue Mesa reservoir) has several NPS campgrounds, some electric sites, most no hookups, great satellite reception (i.e., no trees :) ).

Wendy said:
Hey, Frank, be sure to add Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP to your list. One campground loop has electric hookups. And Curecanti NRA (Blue Mesa reservoir) has several NPS campgrounds, some electric sites, most no hookups, great satellite reception (i.e., no trees :) ).

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom