300 HP Cummins in 93 CC Magna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocky07

Ready to buy our first coach.  Diesel pusher is the only option for me.  Have driving experience and have rented new gas RVs for extended road trip.  Nice lack the stability of Diesel frame/suspension.

Looking at 93 CC Magna - like the coach but not familiar with the 300 HP Cummins (do not know model or better description yet).  Also this coach has  a 5 speed.  Any advise on 5 vs 6.  I have a IH truck with 5 speed - runs great but top speed is sloowwww.

Any help/advise is much appreciated

Thanks
Rocky

trustee07 said:
Ready to buy our first coach.  Diesel pusher is the only option for me.  Have driving experience and have rented new gas RVs for extended road trip.  Nice lack the stability of Diesel frame/suspension.

Looking at 93 CC Magna - like the coach but not familiar with the 300 HP Cummins (do not know model or better description yet).  Also this coach has  a 5 speed.  Any advise on 5 vs 6.  I have a IH truck with 5 speed - runs great but top speed is sloowwww.

Any help/advise is much appreciated

Thanks
Rocky

Howdy, Rocky.
We had a 300 HP Cummins diesel engine in our 1995 Serengeti. Then we upgraded to a Blue Bird and now have a Detroit, 500 HP.

Now, that Cummins never gave us any trouble. Just take good care of it and it should run and run and run and run. The Cummins has plenty of pulling power but is not very peppy in the acceleration lane. It pushed us up mountain grades in Colorado and Tennessee smoothly, passing 18 wheelers.  I think that fastest speed I ever had that coach at was about 75 mph as I was passing an 18 wheeler. Normally we drove that coach around 62 mph.  We started out getting 7 miles per gallon of fuel and gradually went up to about 9 mph.  I always wonder what the mpg would have been when the mileage on the coach was 100,000 miles.  :D 

Good luck.
Liz

Rocky,

You need to find out if the engine is a Cummmins B engine or a Cummins C engine.      I believe in those years the B engine was modified to rach close to 300 hp, but it is what Cummins considers a throw away engine as opposed to the C Engine series.  The C engine is a serious highpower and torque engine for motorhome use.  The C engine is also a we sleeve engine which can be rebuilt.

What is the GVWR of your motorhome you are considering?

My second apprehension would be the 5 speed transmission, which might be inadequate for the weight of your coach.

Steve said:
Rocky,

You need to find out if the engine is a Cummmins B engine or a Cummins C engine.
My second apprehension would be the 5 speed transmission, which might be inadequate for the weight of your coach.

Steve

'93 B engines were under 275hp. There would only be mechanical C engines back then. The 5 speed automatic was pretty standard also back then.

Thanks for filling me in Bernie!  It was before my time in motorhomes...we were still towing an Airstream then {lol}

Back
Top Bottom