wet smell????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jljdd

We purchased a 31 foot travel trailer from out neighbors knowing that we needed to replace a lot of wet areas.  The trailer had a distinctive odor to it and we know that it was from the wet insulation, wood, etc. because when we opened it up the odor was breathtaking.  We replaced what needed to be replaced, sealed up any wood that still had some good structure to it.  We still have a slight odor (very slight) that we just cant seem to find and it is driving us nuts.  It actually seems to be worse at night .  Sometimes I even wonder if it is coming from a ceiling vent??????    Surely not, but could there still be something damp that will never dry out that we are just not catching?????  I few squirts with Febreeze helps tremendously but not permanently. 

jljdd said:
...We replaced what needed to be replaced,
...sealed up any wood that still had some good structure to it. 

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "sealed up"?

We still have a slight odor...
could there still be something damp that will never dry out that we are just not catching?

uh huh

If there was that much water damage, there will be damaged wood inside the walls.  Did you replace that as well?  Odors can be absorbed by furniture and take some time to dissipate, and can linger for a long time.

we opened up the front end (bedroom of the trailer untill we no longer found anything that had been wet or damp or any signs of damage.    (The front top seam on the roof was the culprit)  Removed all the luan and  insulation, then let everything dry out.  We then replaced insulation, luan  on the walls, ceiling and put down new decking.  Before putting back together we used a commercial wood sealer to seal the wood (one that seals and makes wood stronger if needed.  We sprayed the wood SEVERAL times so it would soak up as much as possible.  We were happy that the smell disappeared at this point.  Everything was dry before we started putting things back together.  We are just wondering if there is something in the construction materials that would smell once it has been compromised with moisture?    You get an initial wiff of it when you walk into the room by the ceiling roof vent but cant put a finger on it.  You get used to the smell quickly and then you no longer smell it.....if that makes any sense.  It seems to be stronger in the evening ( not sure if it is a humidity issue??) 
I am kind of wondering if it is similar to a house that has had a fire........people sometimes say during certain conditions they can smell smoke even though things were fixed.     

forgot to mention......we were surprised that the studs were in good shape, we just had to replace one.  Most of the damage was in the luan and the insulation was ruined.  I guess we caught it before it had time to destroy the studs. 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom