Crazy idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DieselTech

So here's the situation: I've got 12 more years in the Army before I retire, and in 3 years I will likley be transferred to another duty station. We just moved from our home in NY where we have lived for the past 14 years to W. Palm Beach FL. It's the first time we've moved from one state to another in a LONG time, and it was not fun at all! Packing, loading, the 1400 mile drive with a moving truck, unpacking, finding a place to rent, etc. (we are keeping our home in NY for now). Here's my crazy idea:

Buy an RV when the Army sends me to the next duty station, and live in it full-time, instead of going thru this whole rigimarole next time!

Of course, this is a very complicated idea, and there are many considerations and questions. What's important to the wife and I are primarily these two things: 1) is it realistic to live in an RV full-time for an extended period, and 2) what are the challenges and problems associated with this?

I have considered Class A MH's as well as 5er's - but here's the important part: I race dirtbikes and quads, so we need to be able to transport these machines also. So a toyhauler seems appropriate, right? Maybe...... Also, we will need transportation for local use while the RV is parked, so this likely means a second vehicle at least (I already have a 1/2 ton p/u), possibly a third - so that complicates the matter as well. I see lots of options in tackling this unique situation though:

1) Class A pulling an enclosed trailer to haul the toys + 1/2 ton p/u pulling a small car (2nd & 3rd vehicles) (or  RV pulls car)
2) 1-ton + 5er toyhauler + car
3) 1-ton + 5er (non-th) + 1/2 ton + enclosed trailer to haul toys

Obviously, the 5er would be less convenient during travelling (or maybe not if the p/u + trailer are following). But, the Class A could be less convenient when going to the races (sometimes the parking is in a field and if it's wet, there's the possibility of getting stuck - the 1-ton would be a 4x4 so less of an issue). Also, where would we park the RV? KOA/campground? RV Park? Purchase land and install septic/electric/water ($$$)???

Crazy, huh? Suggestions? Ideas? Insight? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to The RV Forum soldier, and thanks for serving.

We have many members who live full-time in a RV.  Generally, but not always, they are retired and it is a class A MH.  It sounds as though you have thought through the logistics and have those pretty well figured out. 

The advantage to doing as you have planned is that what ever money you would otherwise spend for housing can be applied toward a pretty nice MH.  Plus, any time you wish to take off for the weekend or vacation, you are ready to go.  Additionally, if you find a parking place where you don't like the neighbors, etc. you can move.

As you continue to ponder this, and even once you make a decision you are likely to have lots of RV related questions.  We are here for you............. post your questions and we will get back to you with answers. 

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome aboard!

DieselTech said:
Of course, this is a very complicated idea, and there are many considerations and questions. What's important to the wife and I are primarily these two things: 1) is it realistic to live in an RV full-time for an extended period, and 2) what are the challenges and problems associated with this?

Crazy, huh? Suggestions? Ideas? Insight? Thanks in advance!

Hi  Soldier,

Yes it is realistic to live in an RV for an extended period of time.  Many of us here on Forum are going on  15 plus years of fulltiming.
Challenges are living in a small space with little or no storage  for collections and accumulations of "stuff".  However if you are still working you will  not have as much time to spend  inside rig on daily basis and should be fine.  Just make certain it is what BOTH of you want to do.

You have some complications with your toys and hobby but  you can work those out.

There are many long term  RV parks but many of those could not  "house"  as many toys as you mention.  If you purchased a lot with your own utilities, you could store what ever you liked.  But then you have to sell it if you move. 
In what part of the country are you considering doing this ?  Cold weather presents another set of challenges.

Good luck,
Betty

Your idea is not at all crazy, but it is complicated.  Not to get nosy, but why are YOU packing, renting and loading up a moving van when the Army should be moving you.  [Don't need to answer that].  My point was to say that the Army may ship your "toys" to your new destination with you moving your living space yourself.  You didn't mention it, but do you have children?  Living in an RV with children and very limited space should be a BIG consideration.  Also, is your wife in total agreement?  It takes some getting used to for more than one person to share a small space.  There will be no room for much else other then the necessities of ?survival/living.   

Some of your assignments may have FamCamps.  "SOME" of them may now allow full-time living with those serving on that particular base.  However, caution, some of these FamCamps are located many, many miles from the base, and would not be feasible due to distance.
The other caution is, it is doubtful you will be able to have all your toys with you at your site.  Nor will many civilian campgrounds allow it.  A trailer will have to be stored and perhaps your toys.  [Most bases have those facilities - check with MWR].  Your space needs to be kept tidy as is any base housing, at all times.  This goes for civilian cgs too.

And, as Betty mentioned, winter living in the colder climates in an RV will not always be as comfortable as living in a "real" house.  Most of the northern campgrounds [including most military ones] close up for the winter, because of water pipe maintenance.  Too costly for them.

These are just points to ponder over before plunging in.  Take your time, you've got another three years to decide.  Look at all the possibilities.  Pick up a copy of the Military Campground Direction [Leisure Living???] at the PX.  Check out facilities at all of them.  Call for restrictions, etc.  I think there is a website now, but I don't know it's name off the top of my head.  It's your "toys" that may be a problem for you, not the full-time living aspect of it.  Check the base Household Goods dept. and see what, if any, limitations they might have on my proposal.

Daisy

We have lived in a RV for 5 years now and love it but one of the first steps for us was getting rid of most of our stuff. We left one 10x10 storgae room full but usually stop by to more stuff in it each year, nothing in there has been needed for the past 5 years.

I must admit the most enjoyment for us is traveling, not sitting in one place in 350 square feet. We are about to change that with a winter lot in AZ that we are buiding an Arizona room on to call home for 67 months a year.

A fiver (non toy hauler) would give you the most room for living. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Daisy said:
.....Pick up a copy of the Military Campground Direction [Leisure Living???] at the PX.  Check out facilities at all of them.  Call for restrictions, etc.  I think there is a website now, but I don't know it's name off the top of my head.....

Daisy

The web site you're trying to think of is U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks. Excellent site. More up to date than the paper directory.

Thank you for the warm welcome! And you are all welcome for my service to our country - it's what I signed up for, and I really feel that it is my duty to serve.

I will try to answer all questions presented, so here goes:

Betty - Yes, it would be a decision that both of us would make. We have discussed this idea, and my wife is for it. Of course, we haven't really thought it thru, and have never lived in as small a space as what we would be living in. As far as buying a lot and getting utilities, that is iffy. I doubt I would buy something that I wouldn't keep indefinately, or at least until I was able to make some money by selling. I'm one of those people that doesn't like to "lose" money on things when I sell them - I'd rather just keep it than lose money. As far as "what part of the country", that is a bit more difficult to answer - it all depends on where the Army sends me. Now, I do have some limited control over where I would go, but it could be anywhere in the US, even Alaska. I doubt that I'd make a decision to live in an RV in Alaska.

Daisy - Technically, we don't have to pack and move our stuff; we CAN let the Army (hire a contractor to) do it, but I prefer to do it myself, for a couple of reasons: 1) I can make sure everything is packed properly, so there's less chance something will get broken or damaged, 2) I will not have to deal with shipping delays (for pick-up, or delivery), 3) I can pre-pack stuff (if the Army hires a contractor to move your stuff, then they must pack it if you want to have the damage liability insurance, otherwise you must waive it), and 4) the Army will pay me for moving our stuff. Also, there are certain things that the Army will not ship that I would have to move at my own expense, but if I move everything myself it's not an issue. Yes, we do have 3 children, ages 16, 18, and 20. They should all be "out of the house" by the time we relocate. Our 18 year old is currently living in our house in NY and looking after the lawn, etc. The other 2 are here in FL with us. If they aren't all "out", we would not consider the RV. So, this scenario assumes that it's just me & the wife. As far as the "bases" and "FamCamps", since I'm actually in the AGR (Active Guard/Reserve) the chances of getting stationed near a large military post is slim to none. The units AGR soldiers typically get assigned to are Reserve units that are in a local community without a base; while it's not always the case, most of the time it is. It sounds like you are ex-military, and you seem to know alot about it, so thank you for the suggestions!

So, if we were to get stationed somewhere where it gets cold (anywhere north of say, NC-ish), then an RV might not be a good idea it sounds. Thanks for all the suggestions and info!

I do this in following my job with the auto industry. It's a challenge to find a place open in the winter and it takes some extra work to live in the cold weather but it's not been that bad.

Do you currently have an RV? You might want to try it out. maybe rent one for vacation.

Glen,

No, we do not currently own an RV. We have been considering one for the past few years (toyhauler) for racing; it would certainly make things easier for us during race season to be able to go to the track the day before and stay, instead of waking up at o'dark-thirty to get to the track in time to sign up, park, unload, etc. We have considered something like a Raptor 5th wheel (would require a new truck) as well as a FunMover. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a great idea. Another thing about this whole idea is the fact that since we may purchase a toyhauler for use in racing - wouldn't it make sense to plan for this other possibility as well when considering what type of RV to purchase? I mean, we could buy a small toyhauler RV (pull behind, like a Gearbox) that my current pickup can tow, but something like that is too small to live in full-time (IMO). OR, we could get a larger RV with the notion that *maybe* we will full-time in it when the Army moves me, but we'll be using it every weekend during racing season anyway. That's kinda my thinking at this point.....

We will probably always own a home in NY no matter where the Army send me. Yes, it means a good chunk of our income will go towards housing costs. Another reason why full-timing in an RV seems to make better sense financially as well - we keep our "permanent" home in NY, and use the RV for our "temporary" home wherever the Army sends me. Plus, we use it for racing too! Bonus!

Diesel Tech,

I too am currently active duty Military (stationed at FT Bliss). Maybe I can relate and tell you some of my experiences to you seeing as we have ALOT of the same interests. I too am a avid dirt bike racer ... (amateur lol got a 08 kx450f hare scrambles mainly) but i also own a 87 Jeep that is my baby. I debated long and hard about full timing in a RV. I have 2 daughters (that dont reside with me ) so this was easier for me to decide to do as they both live in 2 different states. I am currently in a 1995 Fleetwood Flair 32ft RV. For me I tow my Jeep Flatland with my bike on a class5 hitch carrier on my jeep. I have added tail lights to my carrier so as no one will rear end my jeep hitting my bike. I am currently looking for a way to put my bike on the back of my rv as it makes me nervous having it all the way back there. I do use my back up camera while traveling down the road to watch my jeep and bike. For me this is a nice setup. As it is only me ... on the occasion I have my kids ... Its like a camping trip with daddy for them and they love it. NOW for the bad .....

When you go to a military installation... most wont allow a long term stay (more than 60-90 days) so you will have to find a lot that will give you full hookups and allow you to stay there. One thing i have found here in ElPaso is ... some of your smaller trailer parks (the nicer ones ) do usally have a select few RV slips this is what I am doing. And most the time if I am going on leave for over 30days or going TDY i can reserve my spot for when i return and not have to pay the rent on it while i am gone to save it.

Soo it can be done ... with a little Planning and a little give and take .. and understanding .... ALOT i say again ALOT of research it is very feasible .... I know it is for me ... seeing the army pays active duty BAH 1000+ a month for me ... and my lot rent is only 300 ... I am saving well over 700 a month to put back into my rv and other things .... so it can be done !!

If you need anything let me know and ill be glad to give you any help i may have .... I plan on this setup till i retire in 4 1/2 yrs!

Jim Davis 

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. My wife thinks we'd be fine living in an RV, but I'm not sure. I have concerns about the lack of space, as well as comfort in winter. Also, I'm a notorious pack-rat and I do all the work on our own vehicles. I'm used to having a garage at least, but with an RV that won't be the case anymore.

Obviously, these are not necessarily huge obstacles, but they could be. You have mentioned one of the most compelling reasons to do this - the huge savings on living quarters. Though for us, I suspect we'd keep our home in NY too. So for us it becomes a savings, as we wouldn't be "wasting" money on rent AND a mortgage.

Do you pull the jeep using a tow-bar style set-up? Couldn't you just mount the bike carrier to that the same way it's attached to the jeep (sideways), right in front of the jeep's grille? What's the bike weigh - 250 lbs.? Probably not a big deal if you have the available room there. Just a thought.....

Boy howdy, do I remember your predicament.  I was raised in an Army family -- went to 6 grammar schools and 5 high schools.  But that was back in the dark ages -- the 1st Cav still had horses when I was born.  ::)

Just a few thoughts.  Alaska is not your only problem.  RVs suffer in the heat too.  Plus 100? temps overwhelm insulation and A/C ,and RV park power is liable to brown out.  Consider orders to Ft. Irwin in the Mojave Desert.  Or Ft Bliss at El Paso TX.  For that matter Ft Riley and Ft. Leavenworth haven't exactly been paradise this summer.  Of course, you could really luck out and draw Schofield Barracks after sinking big bucks in a Class A rolling palace.  As I remember, the Army was like that.  ;D

Traveling about the country I have seen a lot of folks in itinerant businesses like heavy construction using the combination of big pick up and big 5th wheel trailer.  Trailers still in one place much better over long stays than motorhomes -- no drive train or engine to need exercise and mechanical maintenance.  You still have the black tank maintenance issues (see our library).

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom