Dual trolling motors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We were visiting a friend by water yesterday when mutual friends stopped by in their fishing boat. As they reversed in, I immediately spotted the dual electric trolling motors attached to their 200hp outdrive. I've never seen this setup before, and was wishing I had my camera with me. Our friends explained some of the advantages of the dual trolling motors, and talked about the time they trolled alongside the whales in the San Juans.

Tom, years ago I used to have one 24volt trolling motor mounted 'sideways' under our swim platform on our single screw trawler...this was before 'thrusters' became common...

I used a pair of starting relays mounted near the batteries to 'reverse' the motor's rotation during dockside maneuvers... ::)

It worked quite well unless the current or wind was against me, then it was toss a line to the dock for some help...now, 'dualies' would have done even better!

Wouldn't it be grand if we had 'steering' axles in the aft end of some our RV's, for those precise maneuvers near obstacles we all encounter once in a while! ;D

Ray

Great idea re the trolling motor attached to the swim platform Ray.

The twin trolling motors on our friends' fishing boat looked like just  the lower end of a pair of Minn Kota's with no shaft. They were attached  to the outdrive, just above the Dole Fin, so he's able to steer with  the regular steering wheel. Pretty neat setup, but I wish I'd looked a little closer and that I'd had my camera with me.

We have a bow thruster on our large boat, but it's fixed in a cutout in the hull. It's reversible and helps quite a bit but, when the wind gets up enough, it takes those big CATs to maneuver.

I've seen ones like these before.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/trolling_motors/engine_mount/sal****er.aspx

That looks like what he had. Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom