99 Bounder versus 03 Fiesta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aad

Hi. I am fairly new to the rving world and am interested in some opinions regarding 2 units. We are considering purchasing our first Class A motorhome and have narrowed it down to 2 used RV's. A 1999 Fleetwood Bounder 30E and a 2003 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y. The Bounder has 19k miles and is listed for $20,000 and the Fiesta has 29k miles and is listed for $25,000. They both appear to be in good condition and both have the workhorse chassis with the Chevy 8L/454 CI. Because the the Bounder is 4 feet longer is there a big difference in gas mileage? What can I expect for mileage from either one of these? Is one better than the other from a quality stand point and are there any known issues with either one of these models? I look forward to hearing from anyone who came help me. Thank you in advance for your valued opinion.

Allen from Massachusetts

Allen,
I'm not familiar with these specific rigs, but had a '96 Flair with the 454 and currently have a newer Ford powered rig. I'd expect between 7 and 8 mpg with either rig. Length, or even reasonable differences in weight, has very little impact on mileage; its the large flat front area and resultant drag. I'd note that the Flair ran hot (but not overheated) most of the time. You also need to check on the brake issues with Workhorse units in that time frame as they had some significant problems.
Be sure to check the dates of the tires as these are likely to be old (need to be replaced at around 5-7 years of age). It can cost from $1,000 to 2,000 for new tires (batteries aren't cheap either).
Do check that everything works before you sign the check.
Good luck and welcome to the group,
Ernie

Not much difference in mileage, probably 8-9. Wind resistance is the key factor and the frontal area is going to be about the same on both.  The Fiesta may have a very slight edge, being both smaller and newer engine technology. The 8.1L engine is a better than than its 454 predecessor - again newer technology and improvements in design. And the '03 Fiesta may have a better transmission than the '99 (depends on what the chassis actually is). There were some decent advances in RV chassis technology between 99 and 03, so the Fiesta likley benefits from that.

Mostly, though, it's  a matter of which you like the best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom