Brakemaster Second Vehicle Kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigpemby

My coach came with Brakemaster installed in the coach approximately a year and a half ago.(If that means anything).  I was told I only need a second vehicle kit to put in my toad.  When I look at what comes in a second vehicle kit it only looks like wiring items.  Wouldn't I need an air cylinder in the car?  The local company that installed my towbar setup was telling me it would be practically the same price to just install another system(I am not sure they know what they are talking about).

There are 2  second vehicle kits, one with "Breakaway" and one without.  The "Breakaway" is the air cylinder that operates the brakes if the vehcles become separated.  I think it would cost about the same IF the "Breakaway" is installed since all of the same components are there as the first install as far as the car is considered.  No change is required for the MH.

I think bigpemby is talking about the air piston that actually moves the brake pedal, not the brake-away air cylinder. Brake-away is optional on all Brakemaster installations.

You are right - the Second Vehicle Kit does NOT include the air piston. It assumes you already have one for the primary vehicle and would move that to the second vehicle when required. You need the whole Brakemaster kit, either 9100 or 9160, depending on whether you want breakaway or not. Don't worry - you will only  have a couple parts left over - there isn't a whole lot that installs on the motorhome side. I know - I bought a  coach that already had Brakemaster and went through the same install process myself.

Second vehicle kit is pictured here - no air piston included:

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-98100.html

Gary,

So it makes sense that they told me the cost would be practically what a new system would be.  They are suggesting the Air Force One by SMI.  I thought heck no, I want the system that's already in my coach.  Now back to the drawing board I guess.

I can't see why the second vehicle kit with the breakaway is $225 more the the basic kit. I bought one a few years ago and paid around $250. I installed the system on both cars myself - fairly easy once you find a place to mount the air cylinder.

ken

You aren't saving much keeping the part of the Brakemaster system in your coach. The only thing that is mounted in your coach is a Tee in a rear axle air brake line and an air hose to the outlet on the back. And maybe a indicator on the dash. Maybe $20 worth of stuff altogether. Get whatever brake system strikes your fancy.

Back
Top Bottom