Propane leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks rsalhus, I am going to get some soap and do an inspection on payday.

My solution is much like rsalhus, just get yourself a handful of wrenches and tweak every connection............i never could find a bubble when i checked mine..........i finally just tightened all connections........no more smell...........i hope that works for ya...

This solution won't necessarily help 'bird's problem, but I thought I'd bring it up for future reference....

I've now had three new propane appliances that have come with their own small regulator, hose and tank connector...all three have leaked at the hose/tank connector - to - tank fitting...

I've found, and have confirmed by my local propane company that many imported connectors with the the large plastic knurled 'nut' that allow you to attach the hose to the tank and hand tighten - have an inner tapered connector that is too short, and will not allow the tapered seat to 'seat' tightly into the tanks valve...

In other words, the plastic, hand 'nut' will bottom on the outside of the tank valve (large threads), before the inner tapered seat becomes completely tight - allowing a small propane leak that you can notice by the smell...

I've cured the problem by having my propane dealer install a proper hose end connector on the existing hoses...

I don't know if the problem is with newer connectors being used on older tanks - but there's a ton of older tanks around, and it's a bear that this importer crap leaks like it does... :mad:

Ray

Mexray, I've had that problem too with the hand nut.  I remedied the problem by using channel lock pliers to tighten it.  Kind of defeats the purpose to have a hand nut if I had to use pliers to tighten it. 

Since the tank leaked down to empty after Tom shut off the valve, that would point to a leak other than in the gas piping, but somewhere on the tank.

Ned said:
Since the tank leaked down to empty after Tom shut off the valve, that would point to a leak other than in the gas piping, but somewhere on the tank.

I think you are right Ned. I just looked at the tank and there are several welds on the tank itself that I didn't spray the bubble solution on.

My brother in law is a retired fireman and he says he has never heard of a fire station doing a leak test on a propane tank. He suggested trying a place that services fire extinguishers.

Hi Tom,

Around here, (I know it does not help you there), but propane stores that both install propane appliances and sell propane will also re-certify tanks.  Part of the re certification must be a pressure test.

Usually ASME tanks aren't recertified since their certification is permanent.

Tom, you'll have to put some propane in the tank in order to get any bubbles where the leak is, but I'm guessing you already thought of that.

Jammer said:
Usually ASME tanks aren't recertified since their certification is permanent.

Tom, you'll have to put some propane in the tank in order to get any bubbles where the leak is, but I'm guessing you already thought of that.

I sure did. But if I do find the leak and I have to do something like replace the regulator, how would I drain the tank?

I have searched for a place in Salt Lake City that does recertification but I have come up empty. I guess I will have to start calling propane places in SLC.

seilerbird said:
I sure did. But if I do find the leak and I have to do something like replace the regulator, how would I drain the tank?

Don't put much in.

FWIW the regulator can be replaced without draining the tank.  The relief valve, fill valve, and the multi-valve T thing that has the POL connector on it, and the spitter, and sometimes a vapor return for use during filling, generally cannot.

Tom, I have a friend that has found many small leaks for me with his EARS, this guy has amazing ears and has found air and propane leaks that have defied the bubble test.>>>Dan  ( by the way your in my town now)

Cedar City is a wonderful town. It is the only cool spot in Southern Utah.

Boy, I gotta tell you, the number of gorgeous women in this town is unbelievable. You must grow them on trees here. If I were going to settle down this would be the place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom