How's the road through Zion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
seilerbird said:
Do you have the slightest clue as to how many people in the country work for under minimum wage?

I would estimate that the number of federal and state employees (the ones working at the tunnel fit that category) making less than the legal minimum wage is zero, none, nada. Since those whose salaries are less than the legal minimum are either wait staff earning tips and therefore exempt from the minimum or those off the books who, by definition, are unquantifiable, I couldn't guess how many. Can you? And how do you come up with a number?

Your statement of $5/hour did refer to government employees, right? Volunteers are not employees, they are volunteers.

I'll accept Wendy's experience as to the wages paid the rangers at Zion.  I doubt they employ any illegal aliens for ranger duty.

I swear, I love this forum.  I ask a question about the drivability of a road, and the thread turns into a "spirited" debate about wages for government workers, illegal aliens, use of government funds, voluntarism, and more.  What's impressive is that on most sites, an argument like this would have provoked some pretty ugly name-calling and questions about people's lineage; here, implying that someone is hallucinating is about as far as it goes.

Well, all I have to say is, "It's all George Bush's fault!"  I'm kidding.  What I meant to say was, "It's all Barack Obama's fault!"  No, still kidding.

I wasn't even aware there was a tunnel, let alone a fee to go through.  I just zoomed in on Mapquest, saw some nasty looking switchbacks and wanted to hear from someone who'd been on the road before me if they thought I'd find it difficult/scary/exhausting with my rig in light of the fact that I'd already "conquered" some fairly high, steep,and winding roads in Colorado.

As far as fees go, I thought they'd probably want their $15 fee to get into the National Park since the road does pass through.  That wouldn't be an issue for me as I have an Access Pass.  But I'm curious, do cars pay $15 and other RVers $30 to take that road, even if they're not stopping to camp?  And just for the record (and I say that because I will not go within 40 miles of that tunnel anytime soon) does anyone know if the Access Pass entitles one to a discount on the tunnel fee?

And by the way, I'm happy to be part of a forum of people who share a special bond and use this forum to help and support each other.  That's a whole lot more important than one's opinion about whether a minor Park Service fee is justified or not. I, for one, feel very strongly that those fees are absolutely, definitely, without a doubt . . . oh!  Dinner's ready!  Gotta go!

This forum is a fun place, isn't it?

To answer your questions:

We've driven the road and gone thru the tunnel in our 28-foot Class A towing a VW with no problem. There are some switchbacks on the west side of the tunnel (7, I believe) and they do require SLOW driving but, living in Colorado, we found them to be relatively easy.

We also have an Access pass and NO, you do not get a discount on the tunnel fee and YES everyone passing thru Zion NP pays an entrance fee or uses a pass.

As for your opinion on whether or not the fee is justified, I think you must have had chicken for dinner :)

Ask away with any other questions you might have, my post-surgery carpal tunnel wrist needs exercise typing.

Wendy

There is no need for ugly name calling we are just having a friendly discussion. If everyone agreed on everything then there would be no need for a forum.

I think it's correct to say only RVers pay the $15 for the tunnel because it requires one-way control by staffers.  Everyone pays to get into the park itself just like any another national park, exceptions being special passes such as those for seniors or disabled.  For example, at Arches NP the Fiery Furnace hike has a special fee which is cut in half if you have the "old geezers" pass.

ArdraF

This year I considered going around the park since we did the tunnel last year but didn't because the drive is very scenic, it is about 30 miles shorter, and if you time it right stop at the Buffalo Grill at Zion Mountain Ranch 3 miles east of the East entrance to Zion on Rte 9. The buffalo burgers are supposed to be great.

This RV can't make it through the tunnel and the driver told me he always has to drive the long way around.

Attachments

• tour bus.jpg
    tour bus.jpg
    882.2 KB · Views: 22
Too tall - there is a height limit as well as a length limit. Terry B posted a pic of the reg sign in another thread, maybe it should go in the library.

Wendy

Here's the Tunnel sign: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lPDwmxwahvQ/SFczblusxTI/AAAAAAAAAnk/GTfdfAC_Fwk/s1600-h/Zion+tunnel+info.jpg
edit: Fixed link.

roamingrob said:
Here's the Tunnel sign: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lPDwmxwahvQ/SFczblusxTI/AAAAAAAAAnk/GTfdfAC_Fwk/s1600-h/Zion+tunnel+info.jpg
edit: Fixed link.

Other than the construction delays others have mentioned, I'd definitely try the tunnel at least once (assuming your MH will fit).

It's an interesting piece of engineering and construction. Visualize you are in a room, enter an electric socket at floor level, drive around three sides of the room (no more than a few inches from the drywall), and then exit from another electric outlet at a completely different elevation than you went in.  Oh yeah, as you pass by OTHER electric outlets in the room, you can look out INTO the room.

That's the best description  I can think of for the "tunnel".  I believe you are never more than 25 feet or so from the edge of the sheer cliff that you are actually travelling along. 

I was extremely impressed with it, although I only went thru in a car. Oh, yeah....  I live around 60 miles from Monarch.  It's a piece of cake.  Try Red Mountain pass between Ouray and Sliverton, CO for a real adventure!!  I believe that RM pass was the actual inspiration for C.W. McCall's tune titled "Wolf Creek pass".

Boowho???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom