Chevy Tracker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No but we've towed two GEO Trackers, before they became Chevy Trackers. We've also towed two Suzuki Grand Vitaras, same as the new Trackers but with a little more fluff. All of them were great. I loved the GV a lot and still would have one but needed a way to carry a motorcycle.

The first GV went 82,000 driven miles and about 55,000 towed miles. Only had one minor problem. A pin in the transfer case came loose. When shifting to 4wd it appeared to be in gear but was still in 2wd. I don't know about the Tracker but the GV has a slightly larger engine than ours. It was adequate locally but could have used a little more power on highways. Small hills would cause it to down shift often. I'd still buy another if I could.

We had two 4WD Tracker 4-doors, a 2000 4 cylinder and a 2003 V6. Together we towed them almost 70k miles. Great little cars and docile toads.  I recommend the V6 over the 4, though the gas mileage is a bit less. More get up and go when more than two people in the car - the difference is noticeable. If you plan to tow 4-down, the 4WD is a must. The 2WD is not towable as is.

We had very little trouble with our Trackers. The 2003 had an Oxygen sensor go bad at 49k miles, but it was replaced under the emissions warranty. And it needed a new battery after 3 years of the 5 we owned it. 

If you are looking for a light weight, inexpensive toad, the Tracker 4 door 4WD is hard to beat.

Gary, according to the Application Charts at the website below, the 1999-2004 2WD Tracker is towable, as long as it has a manual tranny.  I'm looking at buying one right now.  Do you know something they don't know?  Thanks for any help...

http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles

Not clear what you are asking - are you doubting the Remco chart??  The Remco info is correct - 2WD manual is towable as-is, and so is the 4WD automatic. The 2WD automatic is not and requires substantial mods.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The 2WD is not towable as is.

I think Bobzilla is referring to this earlier statement, which makes it sound like no 2WD model is ready-tow.  The Remco chart points out (and Gary agrees) that a 2WD manual tranny is good to tow in factory condition, but a 2WD automatic tranny is not.

Bobzilla, just make sure you are buying a 2WD manual and you should be set!  ;)

We towed a Chevy Tracker for years.  Ours was 4WD with a transfer case and it was a great car.  We loved it.  If you get one consider the 4WD version.

The reason we sold it was safety.  All the newer cars had so many more safety features and we wanted the safety.

JerryF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom