Interstate 90 through Cleveland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00RoadKing

Wasn't sure where to post this question. I am headed out west next week from northern NY to Sturgis SD. I have been told that the construction on I-90 through Cleveland is horrible and could cost me hours. My questions: is this true? is there a reasonable option to I-90 when I am headed west? I am driving a 43' DP and an 18' trailer so don't really wanna do "side roads". I have tried detours in the past and found that I may be moving rather than sitting in a line of cars in a construction zone but didnt really save any time. Any thoughts from anyone with recent experience with this route. Thanks!

The state department of transportation should have excellent info on that stretch of road.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Pages/Home.aspx

I-271 to  I-480 adds 12 miles, a couple of minutes, and another 10 miles or so of tolls if you think it's worth it. It also avoids the heavy traffic around downtown.

I live East of Cleveland and rolled through there 3 weeks ago on our way to Alaska...... no problems and traffic downtown is not the problem it once was.  I know there's been a lasting 1 lane closure on the innerbelt bridge and there is a posted weight restriction. 

Good Luck.

Dogu

I used to drive tour bus through that stretch and our company always routed us on I-90 through Cleveland since it is a few miles shorter.  But the drivers always took I-271 and I-480 since it is so much easier and usually, faster.  Clearly the better route and the only toll difference would be that you get back on the toll portion of I-90 one exit sooner.  There are no tolls on 271 or 480.  Plus, you avoid the congestion at dead-men's-curve.

Thank you very much y'all. I spoke to my brother who is a truck driver and he seemed to think that as long as I didn't hit the Cleveland area at rush hour I-90 should be fine.

00RoadKing said:
Thank you very much y'all. I spoke to my brother who is a truck driver and he seemed to think that as long as I didn't hit the Cleveland area at rush hour I-90 should be fine.
And just what time isn't the rush hour in Cleveland??? ::)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom