Wyoming Camping (on and off site)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyicke

Hi,
I'm visiting the USA in August for 3 weeks RVing around Wyoming with my family.
While we plan to stay on camp grounds where ever possible we do want to be free and flexible enough to go where ever the mood takes us, as quickly or slowly as we like.
I'm worried therefore that sometimes, especially in remote areas we might not be able to find a camp ground.
What advice would experienced RVers give us regarding pulling up and camping off site?
I'd like to think I'd be sensible enough to ensure our vehicle is out of sight if possible and secure.
However is there anything else we should be wary of? Laws, dangers and/or annoyances?
Any advice on great places to stay or visit would also be welcome.
Thanks

Edit: Remove formatting to improve readability

Wyoming has a lot of public land and I would think that much of it is available for overnight camping.  However. the rules/laws for camping on public land vary by location, so you should check with the national forest, national park, or BLM rangers in advance.  I don't know the Wyoming state policy on state lands, so will let others address that. 

Private land is, of course, private, no matter how empty it may be.

Here are some useful tips:

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/camping/blm.htm

I'm in Wyoming at the moment.  Much of Wyoming is private grazing land; but there are river access points along the major rivers for access to fish.  Often these access points allow overnight camping; but you will have to pull in to check.  Sometimes they don't.  I'm wondering if a fishing website for Wyoming would have that information.

Also, because you are visiting the US and may not be familiar with some of our laws, be aware that you should not dump your tanks on the ground; but instead in a designated "dump stations".  Some states allow you to throw "grey" water out on the ground, but you would need to be sure of the state law.  Also, I do not advise pulling along side the road to spend the night.

Have fun.  Wyoming is beautiful and often desolate.  We are now in Cody, WY and have spent 2 days going through the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum.  It is very very nice.  Another area to visit is to drive the Bear tooth Highway from Cooke City, WY to Red Lodge, MT depending on the length of your RV.  There is public camping along several areas of that highway.  These are primitive sites with no hook ups, but beautiful. 

Marsha~

Do yourself and your family a favour, and plan on staying in campgrounds, even if they're primitive state/local ones. Do not be tempted to pull over and stay on the side of the road. You'll sleep better, won't run the risk of trespassing, and will be safer. Even our rest areas (like a large layby or a small motorway services area without the services) are considered unsafe for staying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom