Embarassed...please help :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skyblueclipse

Okay, my husband and I recently bought a 35' jayco travel trailer (2010 32bhds). We took it about 1.5 hours away and had some slight swaying (no hills).  We are realizing it is way too big for our 2008 dodge durango (limited with tow package). The durango has plenty of power to tow it but we are obviously worried about the wheel base/swaying issue. Even with breaks on the trailer, equalizer sway control hitch, etc...after reading this forum, I realize we have made a huge mistake. I guess it is more the length than the weight...then again...we are newbies.  We hope to one day travel out West etc... so we want to be able to tow comfortably and safely.  We are one of those poor naive souls that listened to the tt dealership that said we "will be fine". Famous last words.  I am embarassed and disheartened.  We agreed we would buy a different tv but now realize that is not an option.  With carseats and possibly their friends when they are old enough, we want to keep the durango.  We are both teachers, so taking a monetary hit like this is insane for us but we have no choice.  I have lost hours of sleep and again...I am very embarrassed after telling family etc... Here are my questions...

1.  Am I correct in saying I need either a new TV or new TT? (Please be nice)
2. Are there any TV's that seat 6+ people that could tow something this large?
3.  If no to #2....can you think of an appropriate tt that would fit this layout (u shaped dinette, queen bedroom with door, bedroom with bunks to sleep 4, basically a similar layout to our current tt).
4. Any advice to how we should approach the tt dealer.  We want to email her first.  Look, I know we screwed up and were totally taken, but what can we do to minimize our loss?  We aren't argumentative people and I don't want to get "taken" again. 

Thanks for your help, go easy on me :)

Sorry to hear about that.  Sounds like an illness I had before, it's called the "too anxious to get a trailer syndrome".

You are right that a long trailer with short wheelbase is not the best combination, but there are also other factors that can induce sway such as (but not limited to):
- not enough tongue weight
- improperly set weight distribution hitch
- low pressure in the tires
- P-rated (passenger) tires instead of LT (light truck) tires

All the above can be corrected fairly easily if wrong. 
- tongue weigh should be 10 to 15% of the total weight of the trailer, it's easy to adjust tongue weight by moving stuff around in the trailer.  If the tongue is too light, that will induce more sway
- the weight distribution hitch should restore the same stance on the SUV as before you hooked up the trailer.  Example.  If you measure from the front and rear fender to the ground and get 36" in the front and 38" in the rear, it means that the rear is 2" higher.  Now once you hook-up the trailer and weight distribution hitch, the rear should still be 2" higher in relation to the front.  2" higher because that was the difference before.  If the rear runs too low or the rear runs too high, that will induce sway.
- if the tires are under inflated, it will not induce sway, but will make it more pronounced
- P rated tires have softer sidewalls than LT tires, which also make the sway more pronounced

So lets back the truck up for a minute, sorry, I mean the SUV.

What's the GVWR (gross weight rating) of the trailer or if you can get the trailer weighed at a commercial scale ready to go would be even better?
What's the towing capacity of the Durango, if you don't know we should be able to figure it out with the year, model, engine and rear?

From those numbers, we should be able to figure out if the trailer is too much for the Durango or not.

Just looking at the specs for the TT and the Durango, I would say that you definitely have too much trailer for your tow vehicle.  You should get both vehicles weighed to see exacly where you stand.

I do not want to go through the trouble of having it weighed when I pretty much know we have screwed up.  At this point I am more interested in looking for a tv that will fit our needs or a new tt that will fit our needs and can be comfortably towed with the durango...full...and anywhere we want to go.

Well, that can be done very easily.

If you keep the Durango, find a travel trailer with a GVWR that is 80% of the towing capacity if  you tow in the mountains or 90% of the towing capacity if you tow elsewhere.

If you keep the trailer, buy a truck that has a towing capacity 20% more than the GVWR if you tow in the mountains of 10% more than the GVWR if you tow elsewhere.

Not only do you want to be able to tow it, you want a safety margin.  You don't want to be constantly pushing the limits.

Okay, here's my 2 cents.  Since you talk about not really being able to afford to dig your way out of the current situation, try this.  With that big of a trailer (7700 pounds dry, and close to 10,000 GVWR), plus the kids and friends you mention, you are going to need at least a 3/4 ton "vehicle".  My recommendation would be to try and find a used Ford Excursion or Chevy Suburban 2500.  One with a diesel would be best, but I'm thinking at least a V-10.  Don't think Chevy did a V-10, so theirs would have been the 8L (I think) V-8.  You're going to need that much to haul the trailer and all your belongings (kids etc.).  A used one will give you a little more leeway as far as affordability, plus they don't even make the Excursion anymore.  I don't know what a newer Suburban has going for it either...only the older ones. 

Your only other option is to shrink the trailer...considerably.  The Durango is a capable vehicle, especially if it has the 5.7L engine.  But it's no match for that big a trailer, as you have found out.  Otherwise, you're going to have to go with the trucks.  A full size 3/4 ton pickup will handle your family (up to 3 kids anyway), but anything beyond that and you run out of cab space.

That's about where you are as I see it.

A properly equipped Suburban can tow up to 9600 lbs.  Even that may not be enough for that trailer.  Suburbans are in the $60K range (MSRP) new.  If you could find one of these a year or two old, you should be more in the $40,000 range.  The only other real option is a 3/4 or 1ton truck, but I don't know of any that can haul seven. If you really like your Durango, I agree that the only real option is to go with a smaller trailer that is 10-20% lighter than the Durango's max tow rating- probably something in the 26-28'range.

edjunior said:
A full size 3/4 ton pickup will handle your family (up to 3 kids anyway), but anything beyond that and you run out of cab space.

Some crew cabs trucks have a full seat in the front (split 40/60), which means you can put a 4th kid in the front.  Not as comfortable, but if that extra space is just used occasionally, it could work.

You also should consider a E250/350 van if you want to take more than just family with you.

I too would recommend a used Ford Excursion with the diesel. I had a 2000 Ford Excursion with the 7.3L Powerstroke. I pulled a '30 TT that weighed in around 7,000 and the truck pulled and stopped the trailer fine. I should have added sway control though because every time a semi would pass me I knew it, but I just dealt with it.

There were times when I had 9 people in the Excursion and I was glad for the size. As the kids got older (I have four) it was also nice to give them room while traveling.

wow, unbelievable that a dealer would sell you a 32bhds having a durango as the tow vehicle!!!!!  thats insane, go get a suburban or something long wheel base. Sorry to hear that you were put in the position for a possible crash.

I guess it is more the length than the weight...then again...we are newbies.  We hope to one day travel out West etc... so we want to be able to tow comfortably and safely.  We are one of those poor naive souls that listened to the tt dealership that said we "will be fine". Famous last words.  I am embarassed and disheartened.  We agreed we would buy a different tv but now realize that is not an option.  With carseats and possibly their friends when they are old enough, we want to keep the durango.  We are both teachers, so taking a monetary hit like this is insane for us but we have no choice.  I have lost hours of sleep and again...I am very embarrassed after telling family etc... Here are my questions...

1.  Am I correct in saying I need either a new TV or new TT? (Please be nice)
2. Are there any TV's that seat 6+ people that could tow something this large?
3.  If no to #2....can you think of an appropriate tt that would fit this layout (u shaped dinette, queen bedroom with door, bedroom with bunks to sleep 4, basically a similar layout to our current tt).
4. Any advice to how we should approach the tt dealer.  We want to email her first.  Look, I know we screwed up and were totally taken, but what can we do to minimize our loss?  We aren't argumentative people and I don't want to get "taken" again. 

Your problem is both wheelbase and trailer weight.  Wheelbase can be compensated for (think Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch), trailer weight cannot.  That Jayco has a GVWR of 9,750#.  Even its UVW of 7,765# exceeds the tow ratings of some configurations of Durango.

Lot smaller trailer or much bigger tow vehicle with the mountain and Pacific West in your picture.  With 6+ passenger you should start looking at diesels and truck framed vans like the Ford E350 Super Duty.   

ramcneal said:
I too would recommend a used Ford Excursion with the diesel. I had a 2000 Ford Excursion with the 7.3L Powerstroke. I pulled a '30 TT that weighed in around 7,000 and the truck pulled and stopped the trailer fine. I should have added sway control though because every time a semi would pass me I knew it, but I just dealt with it.

There were times when I had 9 people in the Excursion and I was glad for the size. As the kids got older (I have four) it was also nice to give them room while traveling.

I second this, a suburban will not do the job, GM never implemented a diesel in the suburban for whatever reason, a sub with a D-Max would have been a great choice but with a gasser, especially the 8.1 with that configuration you are going to really burn the fuel and you would be pushing it's towing capacity with that trailer.  the excursion is stout and the 7.3 liter is a very powerful and dependable engine that will get you respectable fuel mileage with that setup.  The last year of the 7.3 liter was 03 and the x was idscontinued (as was mentioned) a couple of years ago and replaced with a stretched expedition (no diesel yet).
It sounds like you like your durango though and it will probably be easier on the bank account if you swap trailers.  The only problem with that is you would be getting a MUCH smaller trailer, it won't have anywhere near the space you have now so either way you will have to sacrifice something.

I would agree about the Excursion with the turbo-diesel or the V10 gasser, the diesel being better.  Add it to the E-350 Super Duty van with same engines. 

Either truck is going to take some hunting, Ford did not make a lot of either.  The E350s are mainly sold to folks looking for commercial shuttles and touring vans.

Stewie:

Actually, GM did offer both the 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines in the 'burb.  It's been several years since they offered them but they did offer them at one time.  See:
http://www.dieselsuburbans.com/DieselSuburbanFacts.htm

Many GM fans were hoping for a 6.6L Duramax diesel in the 2011 'burbs but there is no telling whether or not this will actually happen.

As to the Ford, yes, the 7.3L engine was one of the best out there and is still considered to be very reliable.  Ford switched to the 6.0L diesel in 2003, so those built in early 2003 will have the 7.3L engine while those produced in mid-late 2003 will have the 6.0L engine.

Ed

SteelHeadR said:
Stewie:

Actually, GM did offer both the 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines in the 'burb.  It's been several years since they offered them but they did offer them at one time.  See:
http://www.dieselsuburbans.com/DieselSuburbanFacts.htm

Many GM fans were hoping for a 6.6L Duramax diesel in the 2011 'burbs but there is no telling whether or not this will actually happen.

As to the Ford, yes, the 7.3L engine was one of the best out there and is still considered to be very reliable.  Ford switched to the 6.0L diesel in 2003, so those built in early 2003 will have the 7.3L engine while those produced in mid-late 2003 will have the 6.0L engine.

Ed

Have you ever driven a 6.2/6.5 equipped truck?  I had a C3500 with a 6.5 for two years and what a dog, it runs out of power quickly with very little load and the fuel mileage is terrible.  I never count those engines as true diesels, they cannot be tuned and when compared to the best (powerstroke, cummins and D-max) motors there is no contest.  There is a reason GM was able to put those engines in half ton trucks, they werren't capable of breaking half ton driveline components.
As far as the 6.0, the reason I didn't mention it is because of it's lack of reliability.  I have two super duty's, both are crew cabs, both are lariats, my work truck is an 04 dually with a 6.0.  Now, it'll pull like a locomotive but I will NEVER tell someone that I recommend that motor.  I can tell you that I am one of hundreds of thousands of 6.oh owners who have had to replace head gaskets, bed plate, injectors, EGR cooler (twice), EGR (6 times) and the turbo.  Very hefty repair bills and not only that but the 6.0 is the sole reason Ford and International seperated and sales dropped.  Now they build an in house 6.7 liter that is extremely impressive if you can afford a 2011, it is capable of 20+ MPG out of the box and it's smooth and quiet power is startling.  The 08-10 6.4 sequential turbo is a very good motor too but fuel mileage isn't very good, too bad there isn't a sub/x style vehicle in chryslers stables, a sub or x with a cummins would be a good seller.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom