Sealand commode failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

We have a problem on our Sealand Traveler toilet I have never heard mentioned before ??course, I imagine now that I mention it a dozen or so will have had the same failure. :)  Just after I got into bed last night I heard the DW flush the commode ?and heard a loud ?SNAP? noise that was not normal ?and she immediately started yelling that the commode was ?broken.?  The flush pedal stayed down with the flush ball open and water running. I found I could pull the pedal up to close the flush ball and turn the water off, but the pedal would not stay in the up position. I propped it up, took the flush valve loose from the side of the commode w/o removing either water line, then pulled the pedal assembly off and apart. I found that one end of the metal spring in the ?spring cartridge? had snapped off. After removing the remnants of the spring, I found I could re-install the cartridge and prop the pedal up with the commode brush holder/container to keep the flush ball closed. I left the water valve off so the pedal would not trigger it accidentally, and we can depress the valve plunger with a hand to ?flush? when we want to.  This morning I was unable to find the part in stock locally, so ordered one to be in ?within a week.?  At least we can work the manual flush option in the meantime!

That happened to our Sealand as well.  There is a rebuild kit just for that problem, as you have apparently discovered.  The springs don't last forever.

I always presumed it would be the flush valve that would fail ...never thought of the spring ...but sure sound like others have learned about the spring too!

It's a fairly common part to fail.  Fortunately, it's easy to replace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom