Modern Wallpaper and design ideas on new RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quibbly

My wife and I just purchased our first RV:  Sprinter by Keystone model 282FLS.  I'm 42 and my wife is 38.  We purchased the RV for weekend getaways and one week vacations. 

Our issue is we like modern design.  We both like the basic design of the RV but to be honest, the wallpaper and window treatment  is not to our liking.  Does anyone have any pictures of their RV redone in a modern look?  We are mainly looking at putting up wall paper and maybe a modern mural on the wall with the slideout.  Any tips on either putting a cover over the couch (slip on) and maybe just replacing the cover on the dining area?

Any info would be great since we are both so new to this.  We pick up the RV tomorrow and have our first class.  Wife wanted to take it three hours away this weekend but I stated we are not ready and might just take it to a local state park for a dry run (gives us the chance to run into town for items we might need).

Again, any info and photos would be greatful.  We do like asian theme (fung shui). 

Thanks,

Tracy

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have seen many RVs with modern designs on the inside while shopping for an RV. I don't have any photos however. My RV is 25 years old and it screams "I am 25 years old" when you walk in the door. But decorating an RV is not very different that decorating a normal stick and brick. Putting on wallpaper is the same, covering the couch is the same. If you have some disposable income then hire an interior decorator. Could be very interesting. Good luck.

Tom's right.  Wallpaper is wallpaper, you can go have a look at a local store to see if you find something that you like better.

As far as window covering, most have standard house blinds anyway, so you can change the style if you wish.  If you go with blinds, make sure you have the tabs at the bottom to keep them from flying around when driving, if not open them for driving.

Most RVs have linoleum floors, some have laminate.  While I prefer laminate, due to weight linoleum is often used.  You would replace it like in a house.

Before doing anything drastic, I'd suggest looking at brochures of new trailers or visit dealers just to get ideas.  I have a 2007 and my friend just got a 2011, the decor is totally different.

For most things, you will get better prices if the letters RV are not involved.

Quibbly-

We are basically in the same boat.  Our motorhome is firnished and designed in the 1995 era motif.  We want to go from blue/gray interior to more earth tones.  That includes reupholstery of furniture, window treatments, etc., and putting new tile down where most of our carpet is now.

This will be done as we can do it and afford it, so it will be a long project.  I will take before and after pics and get them on for all to see. 

One option we are considering is to take out the barrel chair just behind the passenger cockpit chair and maybe have a folding chair we can pull out as needed.  That will allow that captain chair to swivel all the way around and that person can truly "stretch out" with an ottoman.  We have already sanded and re-stained our cabinets and drawer fronts.  That has already made a huge difference.

We have many other plans and ideas and if they materialize I will share them.

Good luck on your re-model.  It is part of the fun of ownership.  See ya down the road. 

Good morning Tracy, welcome to The RV Forum, and congratulations on the new rig.

You are in for some swell times.  You are certain to have some questions and this is the place for answers.  Our library has lots of useful information in it.  If you can't find the answer there post a question here and we will get back to you.  We have lots of RV related discussions and suggest that you join those that interest you.  Doing this will allow you to become better acquainted with others who share an enthusiasm for RVing.   

Welcome aboard!

We have an older (83-c) and we are redoing the interior too and on a shoe string budget.  I don't want to have more into the interior than I do the entire RV. lol 
I am using vinyl wall paper to add some light reflection so its not so dim in there (all paneling) and then I made black out shades for the windows so you can sleep in and not have that one peek of sunshine escape around the corner of the blind.  When we are driving the curtains have velcro so I can roll them up out of the way so you have clear sight.  The valance hides the velcro so you don't see my not so perfect stitches. Our RV is only 18 foot so its not hard to fix her up and make her look good again. While I work over the inside the hubby is going through everything on the engine.  She is in really good shape for her age and has a lot of spunk left in her.  We took her for a dry run to one of the parks not far from us and she was awesome.  A big storm blew in and not one leak!  :)  The only issue we ran into was we couldn't get the pilot light on the h2o to light. We have checked everything we safely know how to check so we figure we will go up to our local RV repair shop and have them show us how to light it.  Rather safe than overly confident with burnt fingers and sorry.  We are lucky to have a good Rv repair minutes from us.    I will post pics eventually of the before and after if any one would like to see.

Take a look at the Airstream International CCD either in person or in one of the many photo sets online.  There's a video somewhere on youtube with an interview with the guy who did the design.

Shows you what's possible starting from scratch and should give you some ideas.

Hi Quibly! I am remodeling an old trailer and have completely re-done the interior or should I say I'm still in the process! I also like a clean  modern look, not the icky flowered wallpaper and dark paneling. I have painted over the paneling with 2 shades of grey using Behr paint with primer in it. I must say that it is the best paint for the job because you really don't have to do much prep work. I painted the ceiling and some of the cabinets a very light grey, then used a darker grey for the walls.  I will probably buy mini blinds for the windows because of the simple uncluttered look, plus you can darken the room or pull them up for the view.  Hope you are having as much fun as my son and I are.  My trailer was given to me (free!) but I'm spending some good money on new mattresses, paint, cabinet hardware, etc.  Have fun!

Hi Tracy,
my wife Nicole and I have done extensive renovations to the interior of our 1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial. As fulltimers the objective was to make the interior more livable, reduce the overwhelming amount of wood and give the coach a more modern look. Fortunately our daughter is an interior designer and after agreeing on a budget amount ($15K) we proceeded with the following mods:

Improved the insulation where possible.
Removed the existing overhead TV and rearrange the existing space.
Removed existing window valances as well as all strung day&nite shades replaced them with new light grey cordless cellular shades.
Wallpapered the existing walls including a wood paneled wall in the bedroom as well as 2 walls accessing the bathroom.
Remove the carpeting in the living room and bedroom and replace it with a solid maple (stained grey) engineered floor including heating floor registers.
Stain the old grout between the kitchen and bathroom light grey tiles using a special acrylic compound (color matched to adjacent maple floor).
Removed all existing decorative12 volt light fixtures including overhang fixture over kitchen table and replaced them with home fixtures (I converted these110 volt units to 12 volts).
Removed mirrored backsplash in kitchen and applied ceramic tiles.
Installed a new modern kitchen tap.
Removed the heavy oak wood panels on the 4 door Norcold RIM 1200 and replaced them with much lighter black acrylic panels.
Removed the 3 seater villa couch and put in a new ?home theater recliner with fold down armrest and storage below.
Removed the 2 seater Villa and installed a black smoked-glass entertainment console, stereo sound system and 40? flat screen TV.
Installed a new Xantrex RG7 console with auto-gen start on bedroom wall.

Still to be done;
Remove 13? built-in TV and install a 22?flatscreen with built-in DVD player.

Best regards,

CJ

Here ia the link to my renovation photos:
http://cid-b234bbe9209fb751.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/HR%20Imperial%20Interior%20Renovations

Howdy, CJ.
I looked at the photos of your redecorated HR. Just gorgeous!!! I am very impressed.

Thanks for sharing,
Liz Pearce

Thanks for the compliment Liz,

just a quick note to anyone contemplating a renovation is to do your homework, here are a few examples;

Applying a robust and expensive vinyl wallpaper 54" wide requires the right freeze resistant vinyl adhesive and careful planning before cutting into the roll.

Ripping out the carpet, applying the proper thickness plywood underlayer under the hardwood floor to ensure that you come up to the height of the ceramic tiles and making sure that it will not interfere with the free movement of a slide are just a few of the caveats!
CJ

Back
Top Bottom