installing maxxair vents over a heavy caulk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deal

I bought 3 maxx air vents as a DIY project today but found that the ledge that the brackets should sit on or close too has about a 1/2 inch of caulk on it.  The MH was completely resealed recently and perhaps the guy went overboard. If I rest the bracket on top of the caulk the 3/16th hole that I would have to drill in the existing vent rim would be really close to the top edge and there would be a large space below the maxxair vent. I realize a small gap is expected and ideal for ventilation.  Should I cut away some of the Dicor caulk before installing? The caulk appears to be in good shape and providing a great seal so I didn't really want to mess with it. Would you recommend turning this into a larger project and remove it all and use eternabond tape in place of the caulk?

What would you do?

Is there any way you could post some photos?  We can provide better advice/suggestions that way.

I had a similar problem on one vent. I just cut away the caulk where the brackets go until the bracket laid flat. You don't need lots of caulk over the top of the vent flange. Or any, for that matter. The caulk goes under the flange and along the edge. Anything else is wasted.

I'm with Gary.  I'd mark with a good straight edge... cut through the caulk with a razor and then gently use a scraper to peel up the unwanted caulk.

I put the installation off for a week and took off for a mini-vacation. I'm back at it now and took some pics. My revised thinking is that the heavy caulking has to do with the new metal roof. This makes me a little hesitant to cut it back. What do you think?

Attachments

• ventorig.jpg
    ventorig.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 41
  • ventorig2.jpg
    ventorig2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 39
Just cut a notch in the top surface to let the bracket sit flat. Any caulk that is piled up is extra and isn't sealing any seam.

If you want, put a dab of fresh caulk in the slot and mush the bracket down into it when you install.  Then re-caulk around the bracket afterwards.

RV Roamer said:
Just cut a notch in the top surface to let the bracket sit flat. Any caulk that is piled up is extra and isn't sealing any seam.

If you want, put a dab of fresh caulk in the slot and mush the bracket down into it when you install.  Then re-caulk around the bracket afterwards.

Thanks Gary, that's exactly what I'll do.

Success!

I did as suggested and cut out the caulking that was on the ledge. I then cleaned the edges with Varsol and that made the existing caulking sticky again. I then added Micor and put the bracket on top. Seems like I have a great seal. Rinse and repeat twice and now I have 3 new vent covers.  Just as I stroked that off the todo list DW added a few new things... sigh.

Back
Top Bottom