radial tires on a popup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrenchhead30

does anyone run radial tires on there popup? and do they have any load problems or swaying ect. my cousin bought one and would like to change over but has these questions. thanks much

I don't see why not. Many larger trailers use radial tires, so why not a PUP?  Some boat trailers have radials too.

Depending on the size of the tire, he may have  hard time finding a radial, though. 8" and 10" tires are usually bias ply; 12" and up are available in radial or bias.

I just replaced my tires to radial from bias.
Much better performance. Less sway.
17 foot Coleman pup pulled by Sequoia.

Because the tires provided by the manufacturer proved inadequate for the loads that somehow found their way into or onto our pop-up and boat/trailer, we switched to radials in the early eighties.  After the change we never again suffered a tire failure.  I could tell no difference in stability.

I have bias and was coming back from an outing in Austin Tx. are last week and when I stopped for gas noticed the tires were broiling hot, too hot to hold my hand on. I was traveling at 60-65mph and slowed to 55 the rest of the trip. Do the radials run any cooler. It was only 100deg in the shade and probably another 40deg hotter on the asphalt so this won't be a problem for most of the year for other areas.

Yes, radials generally run cooler, especially on steering tires.  The belts in a radial don't "squirm" like bias plies do.  But a broiling hot tire may indicate bad bearings or a dragging brake too.

Nope, I check the bearings anytime I stop. Just put my hand on the hub to see if it is hot and felt the heat from elsewhere only to find out it was the tires. Hubs were just a tad over ambient temp. whereas the tires were quite warm. I have the recommended air pressure in them too. Just dog days here in South Texas. Could fry an armadillo on the pavement!

I don't know if radial tires would benefit a trailer or not.. However this I do know.

IF. and I stress IF there is room in the tire well

Moving to one size larger (IE from 12 to 14") may help.. big time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom