Full Timer Insurance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 'fulltimer' coverage has no umbrella liability and is unrelated to whether or not I have homeowners (I do).  I've seen the type of policy Ned mentions, but mine isn't one of those. Probably why mine doesn't charge much extra for the Fulltimer coverage.

RV Roamer said:
....re-verify fulltime or not, commercial vs private, and who the primary driver(s)...

Our insurance carrier said it did not matter, full time or not. The policy was the policy - covering the motorhome 365 days per year.
They do care about commercial versus own use (like others have noted/cautioned, if you are thinking about "renting" your motorhome)
They also wanted to know the primary driver and if there were to be other drivers

I believe that fulling informing the insurance carrier is important. This way, ALL conditions have addressed in the policy.

regards, peter

Ned said:
Bernie, but you have homeowners insurance as well, so a separate umbrella policy makes more sense for you.

Ned

Not sure what you mean by "a separate umbrella policy". An umbrella policy is an umbrella policy. It covers all qualified liablities. I am required to maintain certain minimums on my vehicle policies, which provide primary coverage. Vehicle insurance has much greater exposure than homeowners coverage. The umbrella policy offered by GEICO, which writes my coach and car policies, had basically the same coverages as my existing policy but cost a lot more. And as I mentioned, my coach has full timer coverage.

Separate is just that, vs. a coverage included in another policy like ours.  When I owned houses, I had a policy that was just the umbrella liability coverage, i.e. a separate policy.  Since you have both homeowners and RV coverage, a separate liability policy covering both makes sense.

[quote author=Ned]Since you have both homeowners and RV coverage, a separate liability policy covering both makes sense.[/quote]

Makes no sense to me. Our liability (aka umbrella) policy doesn't "cover both". It's a liability policy unrelated to other policies we have. OTOH, like Bernie, a requirement of the umbrella policy is that we carry a defined minimum liability coverage on the policies for our boats, cars, and RV. The umbrella policy kicks in when any other coverage (or non coverage) stops paying. It's a personal liability policy, not specifically for a boat, car or RV.

I have been watching this thread for a while, and perhaps I can clarify a couple of things.  First of all the main difference between a "Full TIME" policy and a RV (auto policy in that the full time policy adds "Personal Liability" for accidents which are not related to the use or ownership of a motor vehicle. Such as a golfing or hunting accident. These are things that are coverted under a homeowners policy. If you own a TT for example, when you unhook from the TV it no longer is a vehicle it becomes a "secondary residence premises " and not covered by auto liability. There is also some additional property coverage and scheduled coverage for Jewelry etc.
Second on the subject of Umbrella coverage.  When I entered the business 30 years ago we wrote true Umbrella's.  I have not seen a TRUE UMBRELLA for years.  Most sold today are "Personal Excess policies" which provide coverage only above the listed underlying policies and only above the limits set in the policy. While they are still cheaper than increasing all your policies by say $1,000,000 they don't cover as much as they used to.
The short version is if you have a homeowners you don't need a "Full time policy. 
As of the number of days questions,they are rating information and do not affect coverage. ALTHOUGH lying CAN VOID COVERAGE.

By covering both I mean the umbrella policy covers you both at home and in the RV.

Ned said:
By covering both I mean the umbrella policy covers you both at home and in the RV.

Ned

If for some strange and inexplicable reason, you decided to buy a house, or build one on your lot, wouldn't your "RV" umbrella offer you the same coverage regardless in which house you were living?

If we bought a house, we would probably not use the RV as much and would drop the full timers coverage.  Whether that would eliminate the high limit liability coverage on that policy, or if it would cover us in the house, I don't know.  I would have to find the appropriate paragraph in the policy and I just am not in the mood to read all the fine print today :)  But I would make darn sure we had at least as much liability coverage for the house as we now have for the motorhome, either in the homeowners policy or as a separate one.

If you think it would, then why do you have a separate liability policy rather than including it in your full time RV insurance?

If you think it would, then why do you have a separate liability policy rather than including it in your full time RV insurance?

Ned

As I said, my existing policy (unaffiliated :) ) is cheaper than what GEICO wanted.

Simple Ned, If you buy a house your RV policy either Full time or Auto Will not cover it. It has nothing to do with limits.
It also will not cover the house itself.  The Liability will not extend to a new location you own.

I know, that's what I was trying to say.  One anomaly in the insurance business we ran into is we have a lot in TX with only a shed and 2 full hookup RV sites.  We are covered for liability by our full timers insurance policy when we're there, but when we're gone, there is no coverage.  Nor can a liability policy be bought to cover the lot because it does not have a house on it.  I've asked several insurance agencies about it and all told me the same thing.  As a result, we can't let people stay on the lot when we're gone because we have a liability exposure.

Flexibility is not a term that is well known in the insurance industry (except maybe Lloyd's of London). You have to fit in the slot they have carved out for you, or you don't get coverage.

I can't help think they are missing the boat on vacant property insurance. In today's sue-crazy environment where courts routinely hold the owner responsible for injuries to trespassers and  thieves, people want/need to have insurance on even a vacant lot.  But maybe the risk is just too unpredictable to come up with a premium. Or at least an affordable one.

We told our neighbors that if a trespasser gets hurt on our lot while we're away to drag them into the street before calling for help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom