EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: solar panel for medium size popup  (Read 3122 times)

dribj

solar panel for medium size popup
« on: July 31, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »
I purchased a 20 watt solar panel to maintain the deep cycle marine battery when we are out away from hookups.
Up to 4 nights while using the fridge, water pump and lights only. Using sparingly.

Is this solar panel watt small enough that I can hook it up directly to the battery without fear of over charging?
or do I need a control regulator?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: solar panel for medium size popup
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »
Should be ok as is. 20 watts @ 14v (charging voltage) is less than 1.5 amps and that is only when the sun is direct overhead. Some of these panels may run as high as 18v, though, and that's not healthy for a battery, even for an hour or so. Check the panel output voltage when the sun is high, just to be sure.

Is your fridge 12v or propane? 20 watts isn't going to help much if the fridge is running exclusively on 12v power. Use the propane mode, if available.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

dribj

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:33:33 PM »
Thanks for the information. Very helpful.
My solar panel is putting out 18V easy (cloudy day).
I will hook it up to the regulator that came with the kit.

garyhouser

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:37:51 AM »
It is best to use a charge regulator to keep the voltage around 14v or less. Deep cycle are very sturdy batteries as the plates are thicker than the standard car starter battery. When using multiple batteries to run larger loads with you can hit them with 16-18 v to top off and do a balance charge that makes all the cells work better together, but over 15v and I would worry about boiling the battery if left unattended. You can get one for under $75.00
here is some info on regulators
http://ludens.cl/Electron/solarreg/Solarr~1.htm

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:06:56 AM »
Thanks for the information. Very helpful.
My solar panel is putting out 18V easy (cloudy day). I will hook it up to the regulator that came with the kit.
If you mean without the load of the battery, I would say that was normal, even  on a cloudy day. If you mean after it's connected to the battery, then there's a problem somewhere.

-Don- Reno, NV
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5