EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: RVer Sues Walmart over Unsafe parking Lot  (Read 26406 times)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
RVer Sues Walmart over Unsafe parking Lot
« on: August 01, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
An RVer is suing Walmart, claiming they were negligent about keeping the parking lot safe for their invited RV guests. This is after they shot and killed a man who allegedly entered their coach while the couple was in Cedar City, UT Walmart parking area.  Supposedly the man knocked on the door of their coach and asked about a ride south, then got into a struggle over the RVers shotgun and  ended up dead.  Read the full news report on the link below.

They claim they suffer ongoing medical problems and emotional distress from the incident and are asking for general damages and   coverage of medical and court costs.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50025826-76/stubbs-walmart-lot-parking.html.csp

[rant]
I hate to see this kind of lawsuit. Pure opportunism, in my view. Sue the big guy because he has deep pockets. This is the sort of thing that makes businesses refuse to extend courtesies to the public, e.g. Walmart's RV parking policy. You can bet the Walmart lawyers are arguing right now that this policy leaves Walmart vulnerable to this sort of thing and ought to be terminated.

[end rant]
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: RVer Sues Walmart over Unsafe parking Lot
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »
Stop overnight at WalMarts now because it'll be off limits any day now thanks to those lawsuit happy people. Only argument WMs lawyers can use is that RVers are not "invited" but are "allowed" to stay overnight.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 04:19:05 PM »
Hopefully, an intelligent judge will toss this case out, but what are the chances of that happening?  I wonder if they would sue if they had been carjacked in the parking lot?  Probably :(
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
Why did they wait 4 years? And why aren't they suing the family of the guy they shot? Oh, wait, WM has more money.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

seilerbird

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »
That is the very same Walmart I just left this morning.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »
That is the very same Walmart I just left this morning.

Were they putting up "No Overnight Parking" signs?

Just wondering if the family who is suing Wal-Mart actually asked permission to park there overnight?

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

seilerbird

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »

Were they putting up "No Overnight Parking" signs?

Are you kidding me, it was so full of RVs it was hard to find a space.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »
We have just traveled through Nebraska, Wyoming, a bit of  Utah and now in Idaho.  We have found something we have not see before. We don't spend many nights in Wal Mart but I do spend a lot of money shopping there as they are close to highways and have parking "spaces"  big enough for our motorhome.

The WalMart lots are FULL of semi trucks.  One lot in Evanston WY was so full we could not even drive through their lot, let alone spend the night and I needed groceries.  If the trend continues for  trucks to pack the lot, I wonder how long regular customers will "put up" with this. 

Like Wendy says I see an inevitable trend for Wal Marts to reevaluate their policies.  Law suits can't help our cause.  Sigh...................
Betty Brewer

see where we are

seilerbird

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
Walmart will never change their RV policy. Sam was a lifetime RVer and he would turn over in his grave.

I am in a Walmart parking lot in Payson Utah and there are three other RVs and not a semi in sight.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:04:08 PM by seilerbird »

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »
There are some interesting discussions on the internet about the lawsuit. Haven't seen a single comment in favor of the family doing the suing. They might not do so good in a jury trial.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 05:34:34 PM »
We had long discussions about the event. IIRC at the time, it was reported that the RV owner was trying to protect his kids. The family was asked by the cops not to leave for approx a week, but no charges were filed. I figured that would be the end of their RVing. Didn't think of the possibility of a law suit.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
I don't think the intent is to go to trial but to extort a settlement out of WalMart.  Damn lawyers were probably lined up to start this suit.

Would you like to know what I really think? :(
2007 GMC Canyon

Mr Bojangles

• ---
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 05:55:14 PM »
Ned:
Of course.....?
SAFBVET    Jim O
28 trips out.... 88,000 Miles -S  to Key West, SW to Gulf...w to Texas, NW Oregon, across Canada.

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 06:00:41 PM »
The subject thread is here.

I was expecting civil litigation to follow. However, I was expecting the thugs next of kin to sue for wrongful death by excessive use of force. That may have begun, and they may be suing to put Walmart in the middle. A defensive suit. (Just speculation.)

Ray D  :o   ???

Yes, Ned. I'd like to know what you really think.  ;D

Damn lawyers were probably lined up to start this suit.

My best guess is that they started lining up the day after the shooting. Been there. You need to get your team lined up early. That is if you want to keep your freedom and some of your possessions. Criminal trial takes about a year. Civil litigation takes 2 or 3 years and sometimes longer. Total of 4 years, so far, in this case. And the public civil side has just begun. Long drawn out process follows.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 06:18:04 PM by Ray D »
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 06:10:16 PM »
Ned:
Of course.....?

Nah, the company here is to nice to expose to that.
2007 GMC Canyon

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »
Why did they wait 4 years?

Wendy, they probably didn't "wait" that  long. It just took 4 years to get to where they are. In this case, there was no trial as no charges were filed. (Almost better to go to triial and win an acquittal. You can't be charged a second time for the same charge.) So, you start by not doing anything at all, quietly waiting for the unfiled case to mellow, some. Those charges could be filed, still. There is no time limit, Statute of Limitations, on Homicide. So, after 4 years, if the Prosecutor now decides to file Homicide charges, he has to convince a Judge he acted in a "Timely" manner. Hard to do!  ::)  Remember how long the OJ court battle lasted. Is it still going on?  ::) ::) ::) 

And why aren't they suing the family of the guy they shot?

Can't, really. Need to prove colluson. So, forget it. He was an adult and you generally have no legal responsibility for what adult offspring do. However, if he was emotionally important to you, you have suffered a tragic loss, and you are entitled to recovery for that loss. That is if the defendant acted legally but used unnecessary force or excessive force.

Wish I was a lawyer, so I could explain it better. Justice sometimes isn't.

Ray D  :-\
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

utahclaimjumper

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 07:12:40 PM »
I know more than what was in the papers,, the father of the dead man is a good friend and customer of mine. He is a local (and very well thought of) anesthesiologist at our local hospital.  His son Jim had an ongoing drug problem for years and was mostly harmless. Evidently Jim saw the Florida plates on the RV and wanted to go there, knocked on the door and an argument ensued. Jim was pushed out of the RV and shot in the back with a shotgun...  The shooter was a retired NY cop living in a 1.5 Mil. home in Florida and driving an 800 thousand dollar RV, no kids were in the RV..  The local news paper did a lousy job of coverage and the local police were reluctant to persue the case considering the background of the shooter and the nature of the incident.. I spent many days consoling my friend as Jim was his oldest son and I had lost my oldest son to a motorcycle accident years ago so could empathize with the lose.   Its a very sore subject around here. This is a simple case of "everthing to gain, nothing to loose">>>Dan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:16:41 PM by utahclaimjumper »
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 07:29:47 PM »
Saw this story on another forum... Personally.. I think the folks suing wall mart saw one too many 1-800-dog-bite advertisements and called (I hope that is not a real phone number)

I am not sure Wall Mart has an obligation to protect people freeloading in their parking lot.. IN fact I'm fairly sure they do not.. As to their obligation to report an unruly or drunken person to the police.. Likewise I'm not sure they have an obligation.

As for the police.. I am not sure they have the authority to come onto the lot without an invite from the manager.

OF course.. If I were on the jury.. I suspect after a week of yammering by attorneys.. I'd still be unsure.

But strange as it might be for someone who loves wall mart as much as I do (My love for Wall Mart makes a mustard seed to use a bibical reference look very very very very large)

I think I'd find for wall mart, and ask the plaintiffs to pay WM's legal costs too.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »
They might not do so good in a jury trial.Wendy
Very few civil cases ever get to court. They usually settle in mediation. Something like 85% of cases never get to court.

The way mediation works is they separate the plaintiff from the defendants. Then a neutral attorney tries his best to convince BOTH parties that are are going to lose their case. They even lie anyway possible to convince BOTH sides they will lose. This system makes both sides more likely to reach an agreement.

All the mediator cares about is for the case to settle right there. But the tricky part is it seems the other attorneys (for the defense and plaintiff) are in on it too. IOW, all three attorneys try their best to have cases settle in mediation.

I wish more of such cases would get to court. I trust the judges and jury more to make the correct decision than anything that happens in a mediation.

-Don- SSF, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Auburn, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV or  Reno, NV

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 08:38:50 PM »
Jim was pushed out of the RV and shot in the back with a shotgun...  The shooter was a retired NY cop living in a 1.5 Mil. home in Florida and driving an 800 thousand dollar RV, no kids were in the RV..  Dan

Shooting an unarmed man in the back... by a retired law enforcement officer, trained in keeping the peace... did the definition of "homicide" get changed when I wasn't listening?  Duh?

07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 09:19:04 PM »
The news report says guy forced his way into the coach and there was a struggle, but the whole affair sounds fishy to me. With no witnesses except the guy & his wife, who's to know what really happened?

But whether or not it was a righteous killing is not the issue here - it is taking advantage of a generous host to try to line their own pockets as a result of an unfortunate affair.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

M1894

• ---
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 09:33:09 PM »
The shooter is lucky he didn't shoot someone in the back here in Arkansas. The last class I held for Armored Car personnel It was still illegal so shoot someone in the back, even if he had a gun and was shooting at you just seconds before. Once he turns and is in the process of leaving if you shoot it becomes murder if he dies. Even as a Law Enforcement Officer. we could  not shoot at a fleeing prisoner. I cannot believe there were no charges filed over this shooting, a man with his back to you is no threat. And what was that idiot thinking, opening a door to someone in a parking lot without finding out what they were wanting first. A Police officer, or a Wal Mart employee would identify themselves when knocking on the Door of an RV on a Wal Mart parking lot. 
LEE & PEGGY
1996 BLUEBIRD 40 ft./W Tag
1984 FC35SB Bluebird (Given to eldest son)
1 TeraTrike Rover Recumbent Tricycle (Tadpole Type) (Wife's )
1 Catrike Trail Recumbent Tricycle [Tadpole Type]
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier [Tow]
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

34footer

• ---
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 09:36:53 PM »
Shooting an unarmed man in the back... by a retired law enforcement officer, trained in keeping the peace... did the definition of "homicide" get changed when I wasn't listening?  Duh?
Seems like the cop could have just beat the guy up real good. But.....who knows what really happened the other guy is dead. Dead Men tell no tales.
J
1988 Pace Arrow, 34 feet, Chevy 454
                       So Cal

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 05:32:15 PM »
His son Jim had an ongoing drug problem for years and was mostly harmless. Evidently Jim saw the Florida plates on the RV and wanted to go there, knocked on the door and an argument ensued.

In the reports I have read, the name of the dead man was Steve ...not Jim ... I presume there has not been TWO such incidents at the Cedar City WalMart ??

We who rely on the press and other limited sources will most likely never know the full story ...I agree it sounds like the RVers sueing WalMart for failing to protect them after "inviting" them to park there sounds like a real stretch.
Paul ... (KE5LXU), was fulltimin', now parttimin'...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40e
'05 Honda Odyssey toad
Escapees, FMCA, SMART, WIT
http://www.pjrider.com

PorscheMark

• ---
  • Milton, FL
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 04:31:36 PM »
Very few civil cases ever get to court. They usually settle in mediation. Something like 85% of cases never get to court.

In Federal courts, it's actually right at 95%...though this would definitely be a state court case.

I work in litigation support, and am glad to report that WalMart SELDOM settles!
-Mark 'n' Jane
-------------------
2007 Phaeton 42QRH

2010 Honda CRV (TOAD)

Mc2guy

• ---
  • Whoso would be a man
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 11:37:14 PM »
Walmart will never change their RV policy. Sam was a lifetime RVer and he would turn over in his grave.

I am in a Walmart parking lot in Payson Utah and there are three other RVs and not a semi in sight.

Sam is dead, and his family doesn't run the company anymore.  If Walmart thinks allowing RVs will negatively affect their earnings (and hence share price), they will ban RV's in a hot second without question or remorse.  The presence of RVers had been deemed profitable to this point.  As soon as that is not the case, sayonara free parking.

Christian, Jenn, Holden, Emerson, and Fletcher
2015 Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J (SOLD)

cdrcos

• ---
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 03:17:24 PM »
Sam is dead, and his family doesn't run the company anymore.  If Walmart thinks allowing RVs will negatively affect their earnings (and hence share price), they will ban RV's in a hot second without question or remorse.  The presence of RVers had been deemed profitable to this point.  As soon as that is not the case, sayonara free parking.

There are already many Walmarts around the country that ban overnight parking by Rvers for various reasons.
Joe & Barbara
2003 HitchHiker II LS, 32.5UKTG
2002 F-350, CC, SB, PSD 7.3

sew2bhappy

• ---
  • Volunteering has its rewards!
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 08:45:11 PM »
Walmart manager new our home told me that one of the reasons for not allowing overnight parking is because the parking lot is not necessarily owned by Walmart.  All of the Walmarts near us are in "strip mall" type locations and the parking lot is shared by many stores.  It looks like the Sams Club near us may allow overnighters as I have seen a few RVs parked there when I have been driving by late at night ;)
Millie
<><>
It always rains on tents.  Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.  ~Dave Barry

Barlow46

• ---
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 08:50:23 PM »

Sam also felt that selling "Made In America" was important.  So much for his heirs and whoever they sold out to.

WhiteEagle

• ---
  • John & Alice
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 10:03:55 PM »
I would like to have them do a full re-inactment with the suing attorney playing the role of the intruder.....
2009 AB 40QSP-Powerglide-Cummins ISL 8.9L DP-Allison 3000-2 stage Jake Brake-Michelin 295R80 22.5-Pressure Pro System-Jeep GC Toad-Blue Ox Plate, Bar, Patriot Braking System-10K Genset-AquaHot-4 Panel Solar-SurgeGuard. Northern WI base
Everything's Relative
Unless Something Changes, Nothing Will

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
  • 8,600 feet elevation up in the Rockies
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 11:16:35 AM »
Walmart should just ban overnight "camping" permanently at all it's stores and avoid all these type actions.  ;) 

Thankfully where we live (vacation/tourist area), the local Walmart has signs prohibiting overnight camping and we certainly appreciate not seeing the parked RV with lawn chairs and awnings out.  I also noticed the other day, the Walmart off of I-25 in Colorado Springs are posting the same signs, so the abusers of this PRIVILEDGE ruined it for the rest of us.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2 toads, depending on purpose:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2005 Hyundai Elantra

AverageBOB

• ---
  • I'm here, where are you?
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 12:09:50 PM »
An RVer is suing Walmart, claiming they were negligent about keeping the parking lot safe for their invited RV guests. This is after they shot and killed a man who allegedly entered their coach while the couple was in Cedar City, UT Walmart parking area.  Supposedly the man knocked on the door of their coach and asked about a ride south, then got into a struggle over the RVers shotgun and  ended up dead.  Read the full news report on the link below.

They claim they suffer ongoing medical problems and emotional distress from the incident and are asking for general damages and   coverage of medical and court costs.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50025826-76/stubbs-walmart-lot-parking.html.csp

[rant]
I hate to see this kind of lawsuit. Pure opportunism, in my view. Sue the big guy because he has deep pockets. This is the sort of thing that makes businesses refuse to extend courtesies to the public, e.g. Walmart's RV parking policy. You can bet the Walmart lawyers are arguing right now that this policy leaves Walmart vulnerable to this sort of thing and ought to be terminated.

[end rant]

Walmart has a long history of unsafe parking lots as well as avoiding law suits due to they're (deep pockets) buying the judge\jury and not to mention they're BOARD of lawyers.
If a pigeon had his brains

It would fly sideways.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »
Walmart has a long history of unsafe parking lots as well as avoiding law suits due to they're (deep pockets) buying the judge\jury and not to mention they're BOARD of lawyers.
Hmmm.  Not sure I'd go so far as to say that - buying judge/jury?  No doubt they are in a position to have all the legal support they might deem necessary, but because they are the "big guy" they should roll over for frivolous claims?
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 12:24:56 PM »
Here come the Wal-Mart bashers.   
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »
Hate to tell you, but according to a huge article in the Wall Street Journal about Sam Walton,  He did not give a tinkers damn about selling made in America.  It was a gimmick. They said he started very early on working toward getting stuff made cheaply anyplace he could.  So for a long time we made most of it.  He was one of the pioneers of outsourcing and apparently accomplished what he wanted.  Also the man was ruthless, forced many businesses to go out of business or to produce overseas as he kept reducing the amount he would pay them.  There are very few major retailers to sell to now as most couldn't compete and were run out of business.

Notice now they are producing their own value brand, wonder how long before the major canners and private labels can't compete with that either.  I'm sure they are producing this alongside of their brand name ones.

It is very dangerous when one of anything takes over the markets in a country.

It was a quite interesting story, it was a year or so ago I think.  Good reading if you can locate it.

skirk55

• ---
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 05:56:22 PM »
Anyone can be robed anywhere today. The tougher the times the worse it will get. I will stay at  Wal mart because my experience was good. First I picked a place that was well lite and had security. Second I used common sense we looked for an area that was in a good neighborhood. Third I was a victim of a violent crime at the age of 15. I was stabbed beaten and still have memory loss. Now I can tell people what forgiveness is! I could stay at home and hide from people but I have to go on and live my life. Do not let one thing like this make everyone not trust Wal Mart. Be smarter and choose  a safe Wal mart. It is time people start taking responsibility for there actions they take.       

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »
The way I see it Wal-Mart lets us stay in their parking lots FREE. it's a parking lot not a camp site. If it's not what you think it is then they should go to a rv park. Things happen in parking lots.  This has got to be a sue happy country and a Lot of people look for anything to sue over. If your walking down the road and some one stops and robs you do you sue the county because the county's not safe?

Foxysdad

• ---
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
Funny how people who do not like WalMart, or how they operate still support them by shopping there. ( It's allways crowded when we go there
Capitalism at it's best, wasn't that what built America ???
Howard
Howard Kelly, Sherry Bryon, and our furry creature Foxy
Comox B.C. Canada
2005 Chevy 2500 Durmax
2011 Trail Blazer trailer
Always looking for SUNSHINE

Life is short, dance like no one is watching

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »
Funny how people who do not like WalMart, or how they operate still support them by shopping there.
It's the same thing with Microsoft and even BP, for that matter.  A large enough company nearly always has enemies or "ginners" who also continue to use its services, but it obviously has a goodly number of proponents, too, or it wouldn't be that large in the first place.  Much like the Federal government, for that matter.  The problem is when the company morphs into something that is not representative of the original service that attracted patrons in the first place.
U.S. Navy (Ret)

M1894

• ---
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 02:39:50 PM »
I have relatives who will not shop at Wal Mart, but will spend time on their lots while traveling, sometimes as much as two or three days. I told one of them it was just because she was too cheap to pay a Camp Ground for a site. [She hates being called Cheap.]
LEE & PEGGY
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

Richard Ward

• ---
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »
Hopefully Wal Mart will continue to allow RV overnight-ers.  This brings up a question regarding answering knocks at the door of an RV.  How could we safely respond to a knock at the door without opening the door?
Our RF has a frosted glass on the door.
Richard C. Ward, North Little Rock, Arkansas

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »
I have much the same problem.  It occurred to me, though, that I could use the passenger side mirror to view the area if I can't see the visitor out the side window.
U.S. Navy (Ret)

maddog348

• ---
  • Maddog & 'Sunny'
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 01:08:04 PM »
To add to what Molaker said ~~ We have 'side-view' cameras that can be activated while parked (must turn key past 'ACC' but not far enough to engage starter).  Just a thought ~~ not all MH have rear side cameras ~~ but works for us.    JM2   ~~  YMMV
Pam (a.k.a.-Maddog  (driver))
Kate (a.k.a.-One Eyed Old Lady {nagivator))

2 furry copilots ('Charlie' 15# Terrier/X &  'Bella' 10# Min.Schnauzer/X'

2007 Itasca 'Sunova' 26P ~ 2003 Rav4 'toad'(remco tranny pump)

Dick Zeiter

• ---
  • Ready to go exploring
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 07:35:35 AM »
  How could we safely respond to a knock at the door without opening the door?

Sit down on the couch or at the table and slide the window open a crack. They can't see below your chest should you be holding a bag guy repellent and definitely would have trouble forcing their way in.
Dick, Char and our Shih Tzu. Muffin
Toledo Ohio
2000 Newmar Dutch Star (160K miles)
Retired from part time bluegrass vending
but still working at a garage door company.
Now using motorhome less frequently.

M1894

• ---
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
If they knock on my door, I ask them to state their business and to face the camera, and to provide identification towards the camera unless I know them. If it's an employee or the police that wants us to move on, I thank them and move on. [No opening of the door unless it's the Police and they can show proper identification, while the wife calls the police department to verify if they are supposed to be there.]

Lee
LEE & PEGGY
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

boxerluv311

• ---
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 11:13:31 PM »
I agree with what many have posted here.  It is absolutely ridiculous that they are suing Walmart. It may lead to stores refusing Rv'ers from staying over night.

We recently stayed at a Walmart over night on the OR/ID border.  There were signs for NO TRUCK parking.  I can't remember if there was a NO overnight parking sign too.  I did ask an employee there about their policy and they said that it was alright to stay over in the back lot.  Shortly after our arrival, several other RV's parked too.

My husband (who is a truck driver) said that many of the Walmarts are refusing TRUCKS due to the truck drivers that are continuously tossing "pee" bottles and other garbage.  Many of the Walmarts are also installing height bars to ensure that the Trucks can not get into the lots to park.  This is all frustrating, when so many of us take the time to pick up after ourselves.  We just want a quick place to rest, get food & supplies, then move on.

Too bad it takes just one idiot to ruin it for the rest of us.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
To give Walmart lawsuits a bit of perspective, consider these quotes from a 2001 USA Today article:

"By its own count, Wal-Mart was sued 4,851 times last year or nearly once every two hours, every day of the year. Juries decide a case in which Wal-Mart is a defendant about six times every business day, usually in favor of the Bentonville, Ark., retail giant. Wal-Mart lawyers list about 9,400 open cases."

And:

"Wal-Mart, which promotes itself as a down-home friendly business, is helping change the nature of corporate litigation by aggressively fighting many cases even when it would be cheaper for the company to settle, analysts say."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2001/08/14/walmart-usat.htm
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
Many of the cases brought against Wall-Mart are labor relations cases..

At one time the "Company" most likely to loose a labor relations case was the State of Michigan.. They lost over half of all cases brought against them (The national average is closer to 1/3)

Wall-Mart fixed that.. Michigan is now #2 on the list.  and the national average has gone up a bit thanks to Wall-mart.

And of course there are thousands of "Let's Get Paid" cases which are nothing more than daylight robbery attempts.

And then there are cases where say "Joe's Natural Foods" ships contaminated goods to Wall-Mart and Wall-Mart is thus named in the suit, even though it's Joe's fault. (Joe's is a generic name and apologies tendered to any company with the real namne of Joe's Natural Foods, if same should exist)

LeMond

• ---
  • Work in progress
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »
OK let me get this straight...a former cop shoots a man in the back and gets away with it. As a paralegal I would love to work on this case. As a former officer, he knows better than opening the door. We are in motor-homes, you do not need to open a door to have a conversation. He asks for a ride and you say "sorry, not going that way and he moves on". Second, what is he doing opening the door with a shot gun? If you are that scared, don't open the door. Third, he shot him in the back? The man was already out of the vehicle, close the door !!!!!! As a former officer he should have been held to a higher standard than the average person. As a paralegal, I am. I also have a personal protection device, however, I have been trained to use it for protection not vengeance. Where is the due diligence the officer should have used to avoid this situation? Who do you really think paid off the officers and court? I would be interested in finding out if his 1.5 million dollar home had another mortgage put on it.  If I was the man's father, I would be going after my new vacation home in FL. Just a thought, what states did he cross to get to this Wal-Mart? Some states will not allow you to possess or transport weapons of any kind loaded. Even if he had a permit to carry in FL, it does not mean it is valid in other states. Just more to think about.........hummmmmm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chester & Chell (CnC)
1989 Blue Bird
Enjoying the sun in Florida

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
Are there any intelligent judges  :-\

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »

I have known several in my lifetime.  Unfortunately, they're all either retired or deceased.
2007 GMC Canyon

bondo

• ---
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »
As a paralegal ...

as a paralegal, you should probably get your facts from more than just other posts on a forum. read the Salt Lake Tribune article - the man who was shot entered in to the RV and was killed while struggling with the owner over the shotgun. there is no statement in any associated account of the incident that the man was shot outside the unit or "in the back". there is also no source stating that the owner answered the door with the gun. in fact, the family (they had their two children with them) believed that the person knocking was store security and didn't anticipate a confrontation with an individual who, according to his own family, was a drug addict. again - you are quick to condemn the shooter without researching the facts of the case. which, if i understand correctly, is precisely your line of work....

i do disagree with the suit against Wal-Mart - even though it isn't completely without merit. right or wrong aside; it makes life harder for the rest of us.
switched things up -
bought: '12 Montana 5th Wheel
sold: '10 Greyhawk SS Class C

LeMond

• ---
  • Work in progress
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2011, 10:55:30 PM »
As a paralegal I did use sources other than what was reported in a newspaper or posted in a forum.Unfortunately, certain details are not available to me as I am not working with the legal team involved in this case.  As we all know, the paper will not be able to release information that family and friends have personal knowledge of. The gentleman that was a personal friend of the father would have knowledge that the paper would not have. The father would have knowledge of his son being shot in the back, especially if he identified the body. It would be reasonable for the father to share this information with other friends and family members. Do you really believe that a former police officer, in an unfamiliar area, traveling with his children, would not ask for identification before opening the door. That is the hard part, because of his former occupation, he would know better. It is his due diligence to the public and his family to avoid these situations, in this case he apparently did not. If he would have done so.....things may have turned out differently. I will look into the drug usage as being a major contributing factor, however, what I read earlier pertaining to his priors did not have any reference to violent altercations. Depending upon what information I can obtain (based upon restrictions in the different court systems) is how I look at a case. I do not accept the reporting of a newspaper as the gospel of a story. It is only one of many sources (depending upon the opinions of the writer). Until a trial, if there is a trial, most information is kept close to the investigation. So until someone close to the case starts talking............all you get is newspaper reports and second hand opinions. Please remember that I am not on this case therefore I do not have privilege. I cannot obtain scientific or medical information that is not released per public policy. I am basing my opinions upon personal and professional experiences (with police officers), as a paralegal, juvenile probation officer, court officer, therapeutic foster parent, and mother of 6.  The children are the true victims in this case, the adults all played a part in the tragedy. They made  choices that will affect the children for the rest of their lives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chester & Chell (CnC)
1989 Blue Bird
Enjoying the sun in Florida

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2011, 09:02:51 AM »
"That will affect the children for the rest of their lives"

You do not know that, NOBODY can possibly know that yet whenever something like this happens it seems they bring in psychologists by he bus load. (More or less depending on the number of children) Children are a whole lot more resilient than we adults give them credit for.  And the LASTING TRAMA, if any, will be due to those very same "Experts" questioning them over and over and over about it.   IT should be like what I told a reporter once  (Now in fairness this reporter was NOT invovled in this kind of stuff)

You shove a mic in my face after someone kills a loved one and ask me how I feel about it.. You are going to need a proctologist to recover your mic.

The only questions I have on this case are these: Has the final gavel banged, and if so what was the decision?

THEBigLarry

• ---
  • If a Hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical issue
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 07:07:30 AM »
Hopefully, an intelligent judge

I believe this may be an oxymoron. . . . .  :o
Larry and Loretta Dodd
2007 American Eagle 42' 500 Big Horses
2014 Jeep Rubicon  "LoLa II"
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Living Life at Full Throttle!  
FULL TIME as of Aug 1, 2014.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 06:48:08 PM »
I recall one day in the court house "peanut gallery" (Neither plaintiff, Defendant or witness, just an interested 3rd party)   At the resentensing of 4 yahoos who killed one o my troopers one evening when he was off duty.

I won't describe way... But I would have to say he was one very intelligent judge.   I very much liked him.

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 05:35:30 AM »
They are all intelligent. More law suits more demand for legal services more lawyers and judges needed. Any case is good case.
That is real job security.
Australian travelling US in  ACE 29.2
http://www.aussiepythons.com/

Hosted by Over The Network