RVer Sues Walmart over Unsafe parking Lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
An RVer is suing Walmart, claiming they were negligent about keeping the parking lot safe for their invited RV guests. This is after they shot and killed a man who allegedly entered their coach while the couple was in Cedar City, UT Walmart parking area.  Supposedly the man knocked on the door of their coach and asked about a ride south, then got into a struggle over the RVers shotgun and  ended up dead.  Read the full news report on the link below.

They claim they suffer ongoing medical problems and emotional distress from the incident and are asking for general damages and  coverage of medical and court costs.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50025826-76/stubbs-walmart-lot-parking.html.csp

[rant]
I hate to see this kind of lawsuit. Pure opportunism, in my view. Sue the big guy because he has deep pockets. This is the sort of thing that makes businesses refuse to extend courtesies to the public, e.g. Walmart's RV parking policy. You can bet the Walmart lawyers are arguing right now that this policy leaves Walmart vulnerable to this sort of thing and ought to be terminated.

[end rant]

Stop overnight at WalMarts now because it'll be off limits any day now thanks to those lawsuit happy people. Only argument WMs lawyers can use is that RVers are not "invited" but are "allowed" to stay overnight.

Wendy

Hopefully, an intelligent judge will toss this case out, but what are the chances of that happening?  I wonder if they would sue if they had been carjacked in the parking lot?  Probably :(

Why did they wait 4 years? And why aren't they suing the family of the guy they shot? Oh, wait, WM has more money.

Wendy

That is the very same Walmart I just left this morning.

seilerbird said:
That is the very same Walmart I just left this morning.

Were they putting up "No Overnight Parking" signs?

Just wondering if the family who is suing Wal-Mart actually asked permission to park there overnight?

Wendy

Wendy said:
Were they putting up "No Overnight Parking" signs?

Are you kidding me, it was so full of RVs it was hard to find a space.

We have just traveled through Nebraska, Wyoming, a bit of  Utah and now in Idaho.  We have found something we have not see before. We don't spend many nights in Wal Mart but I do spend a lot of money shopping there as they are close to highways and have parking "spaces"  big enough for our motorhome.

The WalMart lots are FULL of semi trucks.  One lot in Evanston WY was so full we could not even drive through their lot, let alone spend the night and I needed groceries.  If the trend continues for  trucks to pack the lot, I wonder how long regular customers will "put up" with this. 

Like Wendy says I see an inevitable trend for Wal Marts to reevaluate their policies.  Law suits can't help our cause.  Sigh...................

Walmart will never change their RV policy. Sam was a lifetime RVer and he would turn over in his grave.

I am in a Walmart parking lot in Payson Utah and there are three other RVs and not a semi in sight.

There are some interesting discussions on the internet about the lawsuit. Haven't seen a single comment in favor of the family doing the suing. They might not do so good in a jury trial.

Wendy

We had long discussions about the event. IIRC at the time, it was reported that the RV owner was trying to protect his kids. The family was asked by the cops not to leave for approx a week, but no charges were filed. I figured that would be the end of their RVing. Didn't think of the possibility of a law suit.

I don't think the intent is to go to trial but to extort a settlement out of WalMart.  Damn lawyers were probably lined up to start this suit.

Would you like to know what I really think? :(

The subject thread is here.

I was expecting civil litigation to follow. However, I was expecting the thugs next of kin to sue for wrongful death by excessive use of force. That may have begun, and they may be suing to put Walmart in the middle. A defensive suit. (Just speculation.)

Ray D  :eek:  ???

Yes, Ned. I'd like to know what you really think.  ;D

Damn lawyers were probably lined up to start this suit.

My best guess is that they started lining up the day after the shooting. Been there. You need to get your team lined up early. That is if you want to keep your freedom and some of your possessions. Criminal trial takes about a year. Civil litigation takes 2 or 3 years and sometimes longer. Total of 4 years, so far, in this case. And the public civil side has just begun. Long drawn out process follows.

Why did they wait 4 years?

Wendy, they probably didn't "wait" that  long. It just took 4 years to get to where they are. In this case, there was no trial as no charges were filed. (Almost better to go to triial and win an acquittal. You can't be charged a second time for the same charge.) So, you start by not doing anything at all, quietly waiting for the unfiled case to mellow, some. Those charges could be filed, still. There is no time limit, Statute of Limitations, on Homicide. So, after 4 years, if the Prosecutor now decides to file Homicide charges, he has to convince a Judge he acted in a "Timely" manner. Hard to do!  ::)  Remember how long the OJ court battle lasted. Is it still going on?  ::) ::) ::) 

And why aren't they suing the family of the guy they shot?

Can't, really. Need to prove colluson. So, forget it. He was an adult and you generally have no legal responsibility for what adult offspring do. However, if he was emotionally important to you, you have suffered a tragic loss, and you are entitled to recovery for that loss. That is if the defendant acted legally but used unnecessary force or excessive force.

Wish I was a lawyer, so I could explain it better. Justice sometimes isn't.

Ray D  :-\

I know more than what was in the papers,, the father of the dead man is a good friend and customer of mine. He is a local (and very well thought of) anesthesiologist at our local hospital.  His son Jim had an ongoing drug problem for years and was mostly harmless. Evidently Jim saw the Florida plates on the RV and wanted to go there, knocked on the door and an argument ensued. Jim was pushed out of the RV and shot in the back with a shotgun...  The shooter was a retired NY cop living in a 1.5 Mil. home in Florida and driving an 800 thousand dollar RV, no kids were in the RV..  The local news paper did a lousy job of coverage and the local police were reluctant to persue the case considering the background of the shooter and the nature of the incident.. I spent many days consoling my friend as Jim was his oldest son and I had lost my oldest son to a motorcycle accident years ago so could empathize with the lose.  Its a very sore subject around here. This is a simple case of "everthing to gain, nothing to loose">>>Dan

Saw this story on another forum... Personally.. I think the folks suing wall mart saw one too many 1-800-dog-bite advertisements and called (I hope that is not a real phone number)

I am not sure Wall Mart has an obligation to protect people freeloading in their parking lot.. IN fact I'm fairly sure they do not.. As to their obligation to report an unruly or drunken person to the police.. Likewise I'm not sure they have an obligation.

As for the police.. I am not sure they have the authority to come onto the lot without an invite from the manager.

OF course.. If I were on the jury.. I suspect after a week of yammering by attorneys.. I'd still be unsure.

But strange as it might be for someone who loves wall mart as much as I do (My love for Wall Mart makes a mustard seed to use a bibical reference look very very very very large)

I think I'd find for wall mart, and ask the plaintiffs to pay WM's legal costs too.

Wendy said:
They might not do so good in a jury trial.Wendy
Very few civil cases ever get to court. They usually settle in mediation. Something like 85% of cases never get to court.

The way mediation works is they separate the plaintiff from the defendants. Then a neutral attorney tries his best to convince BOTH parties that are are going to lose their case. They even lie anyway possible to convince BOTH sides they will lose. This system makes both sides more likely to reach an agreement.

All the mediator cares about is for the case to settle right there. But the tricky part is it seems the other attorneys (for the defense and plaintiff) are in on it too. IOW, all three attorneys try their best to have cases settle in mediation.

I wish more of such cases would get to court. I trust the judges and jury more to make the correct decision than anything that happens in a mediation.

-Don- SSF, CA​

utahclaimjumper said:
Jim was pushed out of the RV and shot in the back with a shotgun...  The shooter was a retired NY cop living in a 1.5 Mil. home in Florida and driving an 800 thousand dollar RV, no kids were in the RV..  Dan

Shooting an unarmed man in the back... by a retired law enforcement officer, trained in keeping the peace... did the definition of "homicide" get changed when I wasn't listening?  Duh?

Back
Top Bottom