RVer Sues Walmart over Unsafe parking Lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The news report says guy forced his way into the coach and there was a struggle, but the whole affair sounds fishy to me. With no witnesses except the guy & his wife, who's to know what really happened?

But whether or not it was a righteous killing is not the issue here - it is taking advantage of a generous host to try to line their own pockets as a result of an unfortunate affair.

The shooter is lucky he didn't shoot someone in the back here in Arkansas. The last class I held for Armored Car personnel It was still illegal so shoot someone in the back, even if he had a gun and was shooting at you just seconds before. Once he turns and is in the process of leaving if you shoot it becomes murder if he dies. Even as a Law Enforcement Officer. we could  not shoot at a fleeing prisoner. I cannot believe there were no charges filed over this shooting, a man with his back to you is no threat. And what was that idiot thinking, opening a door to someone in a parking lot without finding out what they were wanting first. A Police officer, or a Wal Mart employee would identify themselves when knocking on the Door of an RV on a Wal Mart parking lot. 

taoshum said:
Shooting an unarmed man in the back... by a retired law enforcement officer, trained in keeping the peace... did the definition of "homicide" get changed when I wasn't listening?  Duh?
Seems like the cop could have just beat the guy up real good. But.....who knows what really happened the other guy is dead. Dead Men tell no tales.
J

His son Jim had an ongoing drug problem for years and was mostly harmless. Evidently Jim saw the Florida plates on the RV and wanted to go there, knocked on the door and an argument ensued.

In the reports I have read, the name of the dead man was Steve ...not Jim ... I presume there has not been TWO such incidents at the Cedar City WalMart ??

We who rely on the press and other limited sources will most likely never know the full story ...I agree it sounds like the RVers sueing WalMart for failing to protect them after "inviting" them to park there sounds like a real stretch.

DonTom said:
Very few civil cases ever get to court. They usually settle in mediation. Something like 85% of cases never get to court.

In Federal courts, it's actually right at 95%...though this would definitely be a state court case.

I work in litigation support, and am glad to report that WalMart SELDOM settles!

seilerbird said:
Walmart will never change their RV policy. Sam was a lifetime RVer and he would turn over in his grave.

I am in a Walmart parking lot in Payson Utah and there are three other RVs and not a semi in sight.

Sam is dead, and his family doesn't run the company anymore.  If Walmart thinks allowing RVs will negatively affect their earnings (and hence share price), they will ban RV's in a hot second without question or remorse.  The presence of RVers had been deemed profitable to this point.  As soon as that is not the case, sayonara free parking.

Mc2guy said:
Sam is dead, and his family doesn't run the company anymore.  If Walmart thinks allowing RVs will negatively affect their earnings (and hence share price), they will ban RV's in a hot second without question or remorse.  The presence of RVers had been deemed profitable to this point.  As soon as that is not the case, sayonara free parking.

There are already many Walmarts around the country that ban overnight parking by Rvers for various reasons.

Walmart manager new our home told me that one of the reasons for not allowing overnight parking is because the parking lot is not necessarily owned by Walmart.  All of the Walmarts near us are in "strip mall" type locations and the parking lot is shared by many stores.  It looks like the Sams Club near us may allow overnighters as I have seen a few RVs parked there when I have been driving by late at night ;)

seilerbird said:
Walmart will never change their RV policy. Sam was a lifetime RVer and he would turn over in his grave.

I am in a Walmart parking lot in Payson Utah and there are three other RVs and not a semi in sight.

Sam also felt that selling "Made In America" was important.  So much for his heirs and whoever they sold out to.

I would like to have them do a full re-inactment with the suing attorney playing the role of the intruder.....

Walmart should just ban overnight "camping" permanently at all it's stores and avoid all these type actions.  ;) 

Thankfully where we live (vacation/tourist area), the local Walmart has signs prohibiting overnight camping and we certainly appreciate not seeing the parked RV with lawn chairs and awnings out.  I also noticed the other day, the Walmart off of I-25 in Colorado Springs are posting the same signs, so the abusers of this PRIVILEDGE ruined it for the rest of us.

Gary RV Roamer said:
An RVer is suing Walmart, claiming they were negligent about keeping the parking lot safe for their invited RV guests. This is after they shot and killed a man who allegedly entered their coach while the couple was in Cedar City, UT Walmart parking area.  Supposedly the man knocked on the door of their coach and asked about a ride south, then got into a struggle over the RVers shotgun and  ended up dead.  Read the full news report on the link below.

They claim they suffer ongoing medical problems and emotional distress from the incident and are asking for general damages and  coverage of medical and court costs.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50025826-76/stubbs-walmart-lot-parking.html.csp

[rant]
I hate to see this kind of lawsuit. Pure opportunism, in my view. Sue the big guy because he has deep pockets. This is the sort of thing that makes businesses refuse to extend courtesies to the public, e.g. Walmart's RV parking policy. You can bet the Walmart lawyers are arguing right now that this policy leaves Walmart vulnerable to this sort of thing and ought to be terminated.

[end rant]

Walmart has a long history of unsafe parking lots as well as avoiding law suits due to they're (deep pockets) buying the judge\jury and not to mention they're BOARD of lawyers.

AverageBOB said:
Walmart has a long history of unsafe parking lots as well as avoiding law suits due to they're (deep pockets) buying the judge\jury and not to mention they're BOARD of lawyers.
Hmmm.  Not sure I'd go so far as to say that - buying judge/jury?  No doubt they are in a position to have all the legal support they might deem necessary, but because they are the "big guy" they should roll over for frivolous claims?

Hate to tell you, but according to a huge article in the Wall Street Journal about Sam Walton,  He did not give a tinkers damn about selling made in America.  It was a gimmick. They said he started very early on working toward getting stuff made cheaply anyplace he could.  So for a long time we made most of it.  He was one of the pioneers of outsourcing and apparently accomplished what he wanted.  Also the man was ruthless, forced many businesses to go out of business or to produce overseas as he kept reducing the amount he would pay them.  There are very few major retailers to sell to now as most couldn't compete and were run out of business.

Notice now they are producing their own value brand, wonder how long before the major canners and private labels can't compete with that either.  I'm sure they are producing this alongside of their brand name ones.

It is very dangerous when one of anything takes over the markets in a country.

It was a quite interesting story, it was a year or so ago I think.  Good reading if you can locate it.

Anyone can be robed anywhere today. The tougher the times the worse it will get. I will stay at  Wal mart because my experience was good. First I picked a place that was well lite and had security. Second I used common sense we looked for an area that was in a good neighborhood. Third I was a victim of a violent crime at the age of 15. I was stabbed beaten and still have memory loss. Now I can tell people what forgiveness is! I could stay at home and hide from people but I have to go on and live my life. Do not let one thing like this make everyone not trust Wal Mart. Be smarter and choose  a safe Wal mart. It is time people start taking responsibility for there actions they take.     

The way I see it Wal-Mart lets us stay in their parking lots FREE. it's a parking lot not a camp site. If it's not what you think it is then they should go to a rv park. Things happen in parking lots.  This has got to be a sue happy country and a Lot of people look for anything to sue over. If your walking down the road and some one stops and robs you do you sue the county because the county's not safe?

Funny how people who do not like WalMart, or how they operate still support them by shopping there. ( It's allways crowded when we go there
Capitalism at it's best, wasn't that what built America ???
Howard

Foxysdad said:
Funny how people who do not like WalMart, or how they operate still support them by shopping there.
It's the same thing with Microsoft and even BP, for that matter.  A large enough company nearly always has enemies or "ginners" who also continue to use its services, but it obviously has a goodly number of proponents, too, or it wouldn't be that large in the first place.  Much like the Federal government, for that matter.  The problem is when the company morphs into something that is not representative of the original service that attracted patrons in the first place.

I have relatives who will not shop at Wal Mart, but will spend time on their lots while traveling, sometimes as much as two or three days. I told one of them it was just because she was too cheap to pay a Camp Ground for a site. [She hates being called Cheap.]

Back
Top Bottom