Foam for bedding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whimbly1

Been camping for years...first, in a tent, then pop-up, then a small trailer, and now my wife and I are in a hybrid and just got back from our first trip. We are in love with the room the hybrid gives us compared to the weight. However, the mattress pads are a bit thin for our age. We need a little more squish. I have been looking around on line and most places have memory foam, which is expensive. We really just want to add about two inches of the rubber foam. Any ideas where we can get this at a reasonable price.

Walmart sells a whole line of memory foam mattress toppers that are inexpensive. Check their web site.

utahclaimjumper said:
Its also cheap and easy to install an air mattress and adjust to suit.>>>Dan

Which is exactly what I just did yesterday. However, if you are going to be using it in a cold climate an air mattress will get very cold, that's why I didn't recommend one.

I have purchased three memory foam pads thru www.overstock.com.  I've bought quite a few things over the last dozen years and was always satisfied.  Love those memory foam pads and couldn't ever sleep without them.

We have switched out our standard mattresses for foam several times over the years.  Including the home bed for the rare times when we use it.  We have a local furniture reupholstering store (Erie,PA) where people buy supplies to redo their furniture;  They have big rolls of various grades of foam and we give them the measurements and they cut what we want.  They have four or five densities and we like the "extra firm" in 4" but they have quite a selection.  Not cheap, compared to the Wal*Mart solutions, but they last forever and give us exactly the right foundation for us.  We have one that is probably twenty years old with virtually no deterioration.

Thanks for the help everyone. My wife and I are off to shop this morning. We are going to check out the upholstry shop, walmart, etc.  If our efforts fail this morning, we have found a 2 in memory foam pad on Overstock for 42 bucks, which seems like a good price.

I also bought memory foam from Overstock.com. They have seveal sizes, thickness and firmness you can choose from. I think ours is a Serta.

I picked up the eggcrate foam topper at Walmart for around $20.00 and put it on top of the existing pad and it works fine for anyone under 300lbs. If you want to get fancy you can buy several pads of different density foam and sandwich them to get the support you want and still have a soft topper. Just remember you still have to close the top over it when slid in so don't get it too thick.

Cage an air matteres (air bed, actually) and cover it with 2" memory foam topper.  Best of all worlds!  Light and comfy.

My wife and I sleep on a Sleep Number bed at home and it is essentially that.  Air bladders covered with memory foam and some bedding.

We ordered 2 queen size 2" mattresses from the Foam Factory. They seem to be good quality. We are going to add them to our existing mattresses and try them on a trip next week. We will let you know how they work for us.

that great, good idea getting two 2inch ones and see the difference and if its too thick you can try just the one

hope it goes well and enjoy the foam

Thought I would check in. The foam has made sleeping a great deal more enjoyable. However, I have discovered that the foam does not slide easily against other surfaces. If fact the friction makes it impossible to move around. It must be lifted to be put into place. So, I plan to make a cover for the foam out of flat sheets, maybe like a huge poillow case. I believe the fabric will allow is to slide a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom