TV replacement... Which to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1joester2

OK, I know there is an LCD Vs DLP post, but my concerns are not addressed there so far, and I didn't want to hijack the post, so here goes.

In considering the upgrade from CRT technology, there are a multitude of technologies to consider. LCD, LED, Plasma, ect.. all having there own merits and advantages.

What I want for my 24 footer is a decent flat screen TV that can operate on 12V, has a wide angle of view, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I also want a smaller TV, no larger than probably 15 or 17 inches.

I went to wally world, Best Buy, and Sears to see the different brands and actually evaluate them. Unfortunately, any that happened to operate on 12V had a narrow angle of view (need to sit directly in front of the TV or the picture appears to turn black)

Is there a TV out there that can be viewed from a wide angle and operates on 12V that doesn't cost much more than a tank of gas?

TIA,
Joe

In the size and power range that you are looking at, I would only expect an LCD to fill the bill. Your best bet would probably buy a TV that fits your requirements and then get an inverter properly sized to provide adequate power. Check the power consumption of the TV and make sure you have adequate battery power to run the TV.

Forget the 12v requirement - it will drive the price way up and limit your choices dramatically. Get a small inverter - 100W will do nicely and you might get by with 75W. Then you can use any LCD tv you find that suits your needs and budget. Might even have a built in DVD player.

I agree with Gary . Plus remember when shopping that so called store brands are mostly made by the same plants. LG makes insigna. LG, Viseo and one other. they send them to different stores so you can not price compair. if you go to Best Buy and tell them you can get a 32" Viseo at Target 10.00 cheaper than their 32" LG they will tell you that their offer to beat any other stores price has to be the same brand. Even if they are both made by LG.
Plus a lot of the name brands are not any better than the off brands. look at the details not the names. I bought a 3000.00 52" samsung lcd led and 23 days after the warrenty was up the sound went out. all Samsung said was they was sorry. my 46 " LG at half the price is still going strong

Another point here is that the so-called LED TVs are really LCD TVs with LEDs for backlighting. They are more expensive than the ones advertised as LCD, which usually use a type of fluorescent light for backlighting. As Gary says, forget the 12V units -- you'll pay a lot for that feature and sacrifice choice and, often, features too.

The inverter (as recommended above) will not only power your TV, but can also power small chargers, such as for cell phones, and perhaps other small, low power devices, especially at times when you're not using it for TV.

check this out............................http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=naxa&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=113277711921980458&ei=wY1mTNPIBIXGlQek2LyeBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAg#

I have the 20" and it works great, 12 volt or 110.

bob

Make sure the replacement you get has a signal strength meter in the menu.  I've got a Vizio that I mounted in the RV and it didn't have one.  No way to adjust antenna direction.  I bought an Insignia from Best Buy and moved the Vizio into the house.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom