roof repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

on my '86 gulfstream i have no leaks in the roof. but the dealer where i bought said i should in the next year bring it in so they can re-seal all the joints. he said they would remove all the old sealer on the joints and apply new. cost was very casual estimate of around $1200. now the guy wouldnt give a price till i almost begged for it. my question is not the cost, but rather the work. he said it would take about 4 days to remove all the old sealant and a day or two to replace just the sealant not the rubber "mat" roofing. should the old sealer be scrapped off, or is it ok to apply new over old. i guess what i really want to know is, is this common to scrap and reseal or is that a bunch of bull. soory this is so long to read

As far as re-caulking is concerned, it is required.? On the other hand $1200 is exorbitant to say the least.? If you are at all handy it can be done for less than $100 IF you do it your self.

I am doing mine and the material cost about $85 so far.? I am using something called Eternabond tape.? It can be applied over the existing caulking but I am leveling the old off, cleaning the surface with alcohol and and applying the tape.? I estimate it will take a couple of days for me as I have a problem with my hands and cannot work at it full time.? I have been told that others have done it in a day.

I bought my Tape from Big Rock Supply,> http://www.bigrocksupply.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=395 <

Search for Eternabond and compare prices.?

Good Luck,

to level the old off, are you just scrapping it with a putty knife or doing somthing different. i would love to do it myself, but i worry i may cause a problem rather than prevent one. thanks for your response.

Most of the time, I use a plastic putty knife to try and prevent any accidental damage to the rubber roof but sometimes I use a fancy putty (?) knife.  It is more like a scraper and has a cutout in the side for aiding the cleaning of a paint roller and has a point on the other edge of the knife blade.  The blade edge is not sharp so it is fairly safe.  I hope!!  I just lay it on the metal strip in the caulking on my MH and push it along taking off the high spots.  Then I clean it all and apply the tape.  Use the 4" tape to be sure you cover and seal everything.

Around the ladder and a few other things you just about have to use the self leveling stuff from the RV stores to be sure you cover and seal everything.
That is what I'm doing around the ladder feet, the air horns, some antennas, etc.

Back
Top Bottom