Problem filling "flush" water tank on Thetford 402 C Cassette toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTPass

My daughter and son-in-law just purchased a 2010 Starcraft pop-up with a Thetford 402C cassette toilet. On initial set up we filled the water tank used for flushing and added the required amount of chemical provided. All worked fine. The unit flushed as it should have. When the removable black water tank was full she removed it and dumped it...no problem...yet. The removable tank was replaced and she tried to refill the flush water tank. She pulled the fill tube out and tried to fill it but it will not take any water. The "sight glass" shows empty, or nearly empty. She tried removing the black water tank...still will not accept water. Replaced the black water tank...still no luck. She looked for any obstructions and couldn't find any.

Any help will be appreciated. I have not personally seen the problem as her husband and I left for work this week. We have been trying to solve the problem via phone. Her husband and I will be there next week.

You can download the 402C manual here. Not a whole lot of info there, but it might help a bit in your remote diagnosis.  The only thing I can think of is that the filler spout is not rotated to the right position, so that water cannot flow from the spout into the tank. I'm guessing  the filler tube rotation mechanism includes a ball valve that closes off the tank unless the tube is in the right position for filling.

http://www.thetford.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=WmDDEv%2fobWg%3d&tabid=569&mid=1470

Gary, thanks for the quick response.
I had already downloaded the manual and you are right, it doesn't tell you much. However it did reinforce the proper way to operate the unit. Your comment about the filler tube actuating a ball valve does make a lot of sense. I will give her a call and ask her to try different positions for the filler tube. I will be there tomorrow afternoon and will be able to take a better look at it.
Thanks again,
Jim from NH

I had the same problem last week. I unsnapped the site "glass" tube from the unit and leaned it down till it started filling with water, then was able to fill the unit and reattached the tube to the snap in. Don't pull it loose of the hose that it is attached to at the bottom of the site tube. I think it has to do with air in the system that gets in during travel when the unit is near empty.

I just got back from a week camping with my daughter and her family. When I arrived I tried filling the flush water tank and the water didn't seem to want to flow into the tank. I pushed the hose a little deeper int the neck of the fill tube and it started flowing into the tank. I think you hit the nail on the head, garyhouser. It does seem to have something to do with the air in the tank and relieving the pressure.
Thanks for your help.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevieg0205
Back
Top Bottom