Crossing the mountains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George Hawkins

Hey, all:

I have to take my coach to the factory in Decatur Indiana. Our first LONG road trip. I am leaving from East Central Florida (it?s about 1100 miles). While it?s interstate driving virtually the entire way, I?m getting the Heebi Jeebies looking at I-40 crossing the mountains in North Carolina and Tennessee. All I see on Mapquest are switchbacks. Switchbacks means STEEP grades. I drove my car on Route 50 in West Virginia about 20 years ago for a lark (just because of the way it looked on a map) and I still have nightmares about it. I haven?t been out of Florida with my rig yet so I?m a little nervous with the prospect of going over the mountains. How about some of the more experienced drivers out there helping me here? What kind of grade can I expect? What low a gear did your rigs go into on the way up? What did you select on the way down? I have a 2008 40? Fleetwood Excursion with a 6-spd Allison (w/engine braking).

I-75 to I-74 to U.S. 27 should not have any switchbacks. I-75 through Chattanooga will take you over some mountains, but there are no switchbacks.  Maximum grade on interstates is 6%.

OK, I got it. I didn't look North far enough for I-74. The hilly country around Atlanta has GOT to be a lot better then driving E - W across the Smokies in North Carolina/Tenn. I can pick up the Florida Turnpike outside Orlando and take it to I-75 and take I-75 virtually all the way. I like THAT way a LOT more. I'll cross mountains eventually but I'll put it off as long as possible. Thank you for the response.

I understand your need to avoid mountains until you're comfortable in your motorhome, but please don't put off mountain driving too long.  You'll miss so much spectacular scenery.

You have a wonderful motorhome, with a wonderful Allison transmission, and an engine brake.  Believe me ... you'll have no trouble at all crossing mountains on any Interstate.  As George mentioned, the maximum grade is 6% (easily negotiable) and there will be no switchbacks. 

Having been raised in the west, I grew up driving "with my ears" and learning how to double clutch our old Dodge.  Not necessary anymore.  With today's transmissions, crossing the mountains is easy and pure pleasure to the eyes.

Margi

All I see on Mapquest are switchbacks. Switchbacks means STEEP grades. I drove my car on Route 50 in West Virginia about 20 years ago for a lark (just because of the way it looked on a map) and I still have nightmares about it. I haven?t been out of Florida with my rig yet so I?m a little nervous with the prospect of going over the mountains. How about some of the more experienced drivers out there helping me here? What kind of grade can I expect?

What you need is a copy of Mountain Directory - East.  (It comes in a West flavor also.)  The book is a essential for RVers who would leave Florida and I-95 or otherwise head for the hills.  You can find it at RV stores like Camping World and truck stops.  Check them out at www.mountaindirectory.com .

Carl L said:
What you need is a copy of Mountain Directory - East.  (It comes in a West flavor also.)  The book is a essential for RVers who would leave Florida and I-95 or otherwise head for the hills.  You can find it at RV stores like Camping World and truck stops.  Check them out at www.mountaindirectory.com .

That's exactly the book I need.  Thanks, Carl!  I'm sending the link to my fellow soon-to-be RV'ers here in Oregon. 

From the website:
During the last few years we have heard many stories about very expensive repairs to drive train components. Sometimes rigs are lost entirely. A highway patrol officer in Oregon told us that in the summer an average of one motorhome per week burns to the ground while trying to climb Cabbage Hill on I-84 east of Pendleton.

Cabbage Hill is the steep grade I mentioned in my post yesterday.  It's even more fun in the fog.  :eek:

You should try it with a 235 HP Cummins pushing a 35 foot class A motorhome. Flashers on and down to 25 mph on some hills. SUCKS. I think I worry too much, but I'm constantly watching for some dumba*s to climb up my rear end.

George,

In mid-June we drove on I-75 all the way from Michigan to Florida and there isn't anything scary on that route.  The biggest problem was some bridge construction around the Cinncinati OH-Covington KY area.  As others have said the interstate system maximum grades are 6 percent with the exception of I-70 in Colorado which goes over the pass at Eisenhower Tunnel.  There certainly aren't any switchbacks on I-75.  As Carl said, get yourself a copy of the Mountain Directory so you know what roads to avoid.

I-40 westbound at the NC-TN border has a major road construction project that ties up traffic for hours.  The east-to-west side was backed up eight miles when we went west-to-east on July 3rd.  Why not take I-75 instead?  It will be much less stressful for you.

ArdraF

dude don't sweat it. now that the rock slides are cleared on I40 its and easy pass, matter of fact it is the preffered route for most trucker. lots of space between lanes and the grades arent too steep. it is a beautiful drive. we have driven it many times but the first was scariest. we have a 35 ft class a, just trust the drivers around you and you'll be fine....we make it to tennesee from jacksonville in roughly 9 hours if all goes well but we love to stop at some of the rest areas, get some circulation and look at the mountains.....take your time don't be in a hurry and its a lot of fun...

Much has changed since you last ventured into that area 20 years ago.  Even the Monteagle pass in Tennessee is now simple compared to earlier days.  Enjoy the ride!

Taking any state road in that area is another issue all together...  All bets are off in that regard. 

Oh, and I completely agree about traveling through Atlanta.  Smart drivers will try to do that portion of the trip in the dead of night and make sure you fuel up before the city -- do not stop -- do not pass go -- just hit it and get it until you escape on the other side.  ;D

Oh those cute little hills back east! I routinely drive my Bounder 34J from our  mountain "storage" (35 acres) to our Denver house. Lots of switchbacks, over 12000 feet. Piece of cake. Never be in a hurry!

As an over-the-road driver for years, I've found that the western hills and roads are often laid out better than their eastern counterparts.  Yes, the hills are way smaller out east, but the grades are another thing.  I've seen 17% off the freeway at times out east, and I had one drive when I hauled milk in western Wisconsin that was 19% grade for almost 2 miles.  That took pure grunt in 2nd gear with a 13 speed and a 350hp Cummins to crawl out of every day, and worse during the middle of winter when it was packed in with snow drifts to the top of the cab.

First off, DO NOT use the engine brake coming down the mountains. Your engine works best at 1700 rpm. Use the tach going up and down mountains. When going up if you get below 1700 then manually downshift to a lower gear. When going down the mountain when you get above 1700 then manually upshift to a higher gear. If you do the downshifting and upshifting correctly you will never have problems in mountains. You should very very rarely have to even touch your brakes. I never allow myself to get over 45 miles per hour in mountains.

seilerbird said:
First off, DO NOT use the engine brake coming down the mountains. Your engine works best at 1700 rpm. Use the tach going up and down mountains. When going up if you get below 1700 then manually downshift to a lower gear. When going down the mountain when you get above 1700 then manually upshift to a higher gear. If you do the downshifting and upshifting correctly you will never have problems in mountains. You should very very rarely have to even touch your brakes. I never allow myself to get over 45 miles per hour in mountains.

Interesting.  If you are not going to use your engine brake coming down a mountain, when would you use it?

Paul

First off, DO NOT use the engine brake coming down the mountains.

Very bad advice.  You will only have an engine brake on a diesel and it's there specifically for coming down steep grades.  Without it, you'll continue to speed up or you'll burn out your service brakes.

seilerbird said:
First off, DO NOT use the engine brake coming down the mountains.

What ???  Between the Allison Transmission and the Jacobs Extarder, Tom rarely needs do more than occasionally tap the brakes.

Edit:  I don't know where that funny face came from.  It was supposed to be several question marks in a row after the word "what".  :mad:  Definitely not a funny face matter.

Margi

Coming down a mountain my way will not wear the brakes or the engine as much as if you use an engine brake.

[quote author=Tom and Margi]I don't know where that funny face came from.[/quote]

Margi, three successive question marks is the code for a smiley, as interpreted by the forum software. Ane An alternative would have been to space them ? ? ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom