Backing a short trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoozerman

I will be taking a trip from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest soon. (Very excited about that!)
I have a 35' Class A MH and will be towing a 16' enclosed trailer (w/motorcycle). In the past, I have experienced problems backing a short trailer when using a long (MH) tow vehicle. The trailer is too heavy to separate it and move it around manually. So, I have two basic questions: 1.) Do others have as much trouble backing up a combination like this as I do? 2.) How frequently do you think I will encounter a situation in which I have to back this rig up? (Such as a campground that doesn't have a pull thru site.) Thanks for you advice!
Kevin

Simple answer is yes.  Consider the ratio of the wheel base of a regular tractor trailer VS the length of the wheelbase from the rear wheels of the tractor to the wheels of the trailer, using this as a starting point for discussion: 

If they are the same. then the tow vehicle and the trailer will move equally in any maneuver.  Tow vehicle shorter = it can move maneuver better than trailer (like the tractor/trailer combo).  If the tow vehicle is much longer, it's movements are amplified on the trailer, so a tiny move of your MH steering wheel will quickly amplify into a jack knifed trailer.  This can be made even more pronounced by the overhang and consequent swing of the hitch point on a typical Motor Home.

When I tow something shorter than the truck, I just back very slowly, and "over-compensate" for tiny moves I see on the trailer, which most of the time work out to be just about right.

johncmr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom