opening the engine compartment on 2000 Winnebago Brave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjmayo

Hi, I don't have owner's manual on this unit I brought last year, I was wondering how you open the engine compartment from inside the unit?  I want to check the master cylinder as brakes where acting strange just before I parked in campground.

Most engine compartments ( hood ) opens from the front of the vehicle.

Run your hand along the bottom edge and you will feel two indentions on the inside. Above those indentions will be a lever handle that you pull towards you and then the hood will pull forward.

The master cylinder is then in the upper right area and you will probably have to use a mirror to see the fluid level. After checking mine the first time, I marked a popcycle stick to use as a dipstick.

Hope this helps.

We just ugraded from a 2000 Brave to a 2010 Adventurer.  Our hood had 2 circular key latches on the outside front.  You should have a key (a small circle) that fits in both latches.  Insert key and turn to the left to unlock, then pull the hood toward you and will drop down. 
Jon

Thanks, That one I know, I should have been more specific, it's the shroud inside the motor home, the hump, how do I get that off.

two issues here...

1) opening the doghouse cover (usually several bolts placed around the edge... get a magnet)
2) locating your master cylinder which is NOT likely to be under the doghouse.

on my (non Winnie) the MC is accessed from the drivers side wheel well. Take a look?

on My 2002, there is a hole on the slope towards the rear of the motorhome, and I was provided a key that fits in the hole and turns a lock. However at the factory ther put in two screws on the bottom front on both sides. They are sheet metal screws and you have to finger around in the carpet to find them as they are hidden by the carpet fibers.

BTW, the key is just a big allen wrench key.

Good luck

mjmayo,

In the back of the dog house farily close to the floor feel for an opening.  This is where you insert a allen wrench and turn to the left until you feel the latch release.  Lift the dog house up a little and pull back and it should come right off.  If it doesn't there may be a sheet metal screw on each side of the front of the dog house, again close to the floor.  These can be kind of hard to locate under the carpet.  Once these are out it should come right off.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom