Hybrid Travel Trailer Safety & Amenities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

My wife and I are looking for a travel trailer in which to travel cross-country with our young children and dogs. 

When shopping around for a travel trailer, salespeople and experienced RVers alike seem to "turn their noses up" to the hybrid trailers such as the Rockwood Roo with the pop-out-style beds. 

We think they look nice and quite "roomy" for the money.  There are floorplans available with 3 pop-out beds, which really lights up the unit and feels spacious during the daytime. 

I was wondering...are there additional safety/security concerns with this type of trailer?  It's obviously more "accessible" from the outside than a traditional "trailer" with hard sides all around.  We'd like to do Yellowstone...the deep South...Everglades...Southwest...etc...I'm just not sure if this should be a concern or not. 

What are the other reason(s) that experienced RVers might be aversive to this style of trailer?  The amenities seemed pretty comparable to much more expensive units...

Thanks! 

I could never figure out the aversion to hybrids either - I think it is just snobbery. A hybrid, of course, is part pop-up and much the same attitude applies to them, yet they are immensely practical for those with weight and budget limitations. The same aversion applies to the Hi-lo type of trailer.

Sure, the hybrids are made for basic weekend use and maybe a vacation trip. The longer you plan to stay in it, the more a more rugged and upscale rig makes sense. But if the hybrid suits your needs and budget, I see not reason not to get one.

I'd ignore the salesmen. In fact, I would walk out if they made derogatory remarks like that. Very unprofessional, IMO.

Regarding the safety concern, if you feel safe in the campground during the day outside the trailer, it is usually safe in the trailer at night too.

Like Gary said, hybrids open up possibilities to some.  My first TT was a 24 foot (not hybrid), my friends had a 21 foot hybrid on both ends.  They had a lot more floor space than we did because the beds are outside the trailer, not inside.

There is one thing I dislike about hybrids, it's daylight because I wake up at the crack of dawn if daylight comes in and the tent ends do let a lot of daylight in.

Other than that, if it fits your needs go for it.

Marc...

I bought a Rockwood Hybrid this year and have had a great time with the family.  The biggest drawback thus far is that the fold out beds do not insulate against noise or light (the wife and I are early riser, so not a problem there).  We work around the noise by staying at locations that have quit hours.  We prefer State Parks in that they are regularly patrolled.

This is my first post to the forum but I felt the need to add in case you logged in and saw it...

We are on our 3rd hybrid (for random various reasons that are not worth going into here) but I have experienced alot of pros and cons from those 3 different styles/features.  I myself LOVE our new hybrid.  It's a 2010 Gulfstream Breeze Sport.  It only has one hybrid end on the front and a bunk house in the rear with a double bed on bottom and a twin up top.  We have 3 young children and I can't tell you enough how fantastic this trailer has been for us regarding them and us.  We get plenty of space after they have gone to bed if we want to be inside.  They get regular walls and quiet where they are sleeping.  It is a bigger unit that some out there but we easily tow it with our 4x4 Chevy Trailblazer EXT...of course with proper weight loading within both vehicles and with sway control and WD hitch.  I don't remember the exact specs and I am feeling a bit lazy now to look them up....BUT it's supposed to be a foot taller and foot wider than the "standard".  Sometimes that height is an issue with windy conditions but I just back my speed off by 5mph and give myself more space and time.

We just simply couldn't afford a fully enclosed TT with the space we wanted, the features we wanted, our TV could haul.  I myself love the tent end while the hubby could do without it and have a regular bed.  I love my amenities (full bathroom with shower, hot water heater, 3 way fridge, microwave, oven, double sink, cable ready, spray port, stereo with speakers, bunks, huge dining table area)...and I just know we'll be in our trailer for a long time to come. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom